Maryville - Greenville Scrimmage

YANKERX

Changes aplenty for Maryville, Greeneville in title defenses

JEFFERSON CITY — Maryville and Greeneville high schools — the defending Class 6A and Class 4A state champions, respectively — met in a Friday night scrimmage to cap off the first week of fall football practice.

The Rebels and Greene Devils took the field at Burke-Tarr Stadium on the Carson-Newman College campus with some rare question marks.

Greeneville must replace Class AA Mr. Football William Carmichael at quarterback and 1,600-yard rusher, B.J. Spradlin.

Maryville still has one of the best quarterbacks in the state in senior Patton Robinette, but has to find a new posse of wide receivers.

With a 17-14 Rebels victory in the scrimmage, both teams showed they still have plenty of horses in the stable.

For Maryville coach George Quarles, all he had to do was look on the other side of the ball to find his new star wideout. Starting cornerback Dalton Curtis looks to be Robinette's primary target this season at receiver. Against Greeneville, Curtis caught two deep touchdown passes down the seam, the second for 70 yards.

Greeneville coach Caine Ballard is content, for now at least, to let his quarterback battle continue between junior Tanner Stewart and sophomore Zack Finchum. Still, Stewart looks to have the edge, especially after leading two scoring drives against Maryville in the scrimmage.

"Stewart probably got a few more snaps than Zack did, but we really like Zack, too," Ballard said. "We're going to continue to compete there and see who wins it out. Tanner is a competitor and he loves Friday nights. He showed that today."

Sophomore transfer Xzaiver Goode put his legs on display Friday night for the Greene Devils, laying down some punishing runs before capping a drive with a 35-yard touchdown run down the left side of the field.

"He (Goode) is a very tough kid and did some good things for us tonight," Ballard said. "He's a young one and he's got a lot to learn. He certainly improved his stock today."

Maryville had a tough time running against the Greene Devils, with the exception of some long QB-keepers from Robinette.

"They were able to challenge us a bit more than we've been challenged," Quarles said. "It's the first scrimmage and it's kind of normal I think, but we need to see that we're not as good as we think we are. We need people to hit us in the mouth so we're ready to hit someone else in the mouth."

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Changes aplenty for Maryville, Greeneville in title defenses

JEFFERSON CITY — Maryville and Greeneville high schools — the defending Class 6A and Class 4A state champions, respectively — met in a Friday night scrimmage to cap off the first week of fall football practice.

The Rebels and Greene Devils took the field at Burke-Tarr Stadium on the Carson-Newman College campus with some rare question marks.

Greeneville must replace Class AA Mr. Football William Carmichael at quarterback and 1,600-yard rusher, B.J. Spradlin.

Maryville still has one of the best quarterbacks in the state in senior Patton Robinette, but has to find a new posse of wide receivers.

With a 17-14 Rebels victory in the scrimmage, both teams showed they still have plenty of horses in the stable.

For Maryville coach George Quarles, all he had to do was look on the other side of the ball to find his new star wideout. Starting cornerback Dalton Curtis looks to be Robinette's primary target this season at receiver. Against Greeneville, Curtis caught two deep touchdown passes down the seam, the second for 70 yards.

Greeneville coach Caine Ballard is content, for now at least, to let his quarterback battle continue between junior Tanner Stewart and sophomore Zack Finchum. Still, Stewart looks to have the edge, especially after leading two scoring drives against Maryville in the scrimmage.

"Stewart probably got a few more snaps than Zack did, but we really like Zack, too," Ballard said. "We're going to continue to compete there and see who wins it out. Tanner is a competitor and he loves Friday nights. He showed that today."

Sophomore transfer Xzaiver Goode put his legs on display Friday night for the Greene Devils, laying down some punishing runs before capping a drive with a 35-yard touchdown run down the left side of the field.

"He (Goode) is a very tough kid and did some good things for us tonight," Ballard said. "He's a young one and he's got a lot to learn. He certainly improved his stock today."

Maryville had a tough time running against the Greene Devils, with the exception of some long QB-keepers from Robinette.

"They were able to challenge us a bit more than we've been challenged," Quarles said. "It's the first scrimmage and it's kind of normal I think, but we need to see that we're not as good as we think we are. We need people to hit us in the mouth so we're ready to hit someone else in the mouth."

Apparentley this feller must haiv missed Mairvul's furst TD...???....And Shuler's 50 yard run on tha furst series??...

And oldhick iz rite..... Alcouh has me wurried allreddy..... :unsure:

Scrimmage Analysis: GREENEVILLE

Greeneville’s front seven on defense is a brick wall. Great pursuit angles by the linebackers. They held their own against the Rebels offensive line (one of the best around). Did not get consistent pressure on Robinette (Maryville QB), he was allowed too often to sit and pick his targets - most of the night those targets were wide open. I am guessing Greeneville doesn’t play a lot of passing teams.

The Devils were vulnerable once the ball was outside the tackles. The quick pass to the flat was open every time. The secondary was sound in tackling but will be tested this year; at least when they play Alcoa. Overall, it is a very solid defense. Some real playmakers up front! (If this were a full game- I fear a depth issue and fatigue would have caught up to the Devils in the fourth quarter). My guess is this team hasn’t had to play from behind much. This could make a big difference against a quick strike team with plenty of depth.

Offensive line is obviously still in the “learning to work together†process. Maryville’s defensive ends where in the backfield all night – Alcoa will be even faster. Both QB’s made good decisions (not passing the ball if it’s not open is a good decision). Backs have good speed and size; I see 300 yard plus rushing each game (except Alcoa). First team against first teamers- once Maryville made a few adjustments (which is Maryville’s strength) they shut Greenville down.

I believe the Devils are a solid pick to head back to the Championship. I would suggest you develop the passing game- you have some great receivers. Even if it means throwing to a back out of the backfield, this could be a difference maker against tougher competition. The young ones look solid too!

Great Team! Great program! Fill that trophy case with gold balls!

Apparentley this feller must haiv missed Mairvul's furst TD...???....And Shuler's 50 yard run on tha furst series??...

No reason to worry about Alcoa. Just get the Blount County championship out of the way, no injuries, then both teams can go about the business of bringing more gold balls to Blount County. Alcoa versus Maryville is for pure fan enjoyment and I think the Rebels get the W this year.

I was wondering the same thing Starz .... guess this Sportswriter looked real cute typing this up in his Greeneville cheerleading outfit !! lol , :roflol: Just joking Greeneville fans , wish you all good luck this year and hopefully we both can make it down to Cookeville again this year !

Scrimmage Analysis: GREENEVILLE

Greeneville’s front seven on defense is a brick wall. Great pursuit angles by the linebackers. They held their own against the Rebels offensive line (one of the best around). Did not get consistent pressure on Robinette (Maryville QB), he was allowed too often to sit and pick his targets - most of the night those targets were wide open. I am guessing Greeneville doesn’t play a lot of passing teams.

The Devils were vulnerable once the ball was outside the tackles. The quick pass to the flat was open every time. The secondary was sound in tackling but will be tested this year; at least when they play Alcoa. Overall, it is a very solid defense. Some real playmakers up front! (If this were a full game- I fear a depth issue and fatigue would have caught up to the Devils in the fourth quarter). My guess is this team hasn’t had to play from behind much. This could make a big difference against a quick strike team with plenty of depth.

Offensive line is obviously still in the “learning to work together†process. Maryville’s defensive ends where in the backfield all night – Alcoa will be even faster. Both QB’s made good decisions (not passing the ball if it’s not open is a good decision). Backs have good speed and size; I see 300 yard plus rushing each game (except Alcoa). First team against first teamers- once Maryville made a few adjustments (which is Maryville’s strength) they shut Greenville down.

I believe the Devils are a solid pick to head back to the Championship. I would suggest you develop the passing game- you have some great receivers. Even if it means throwing to a back out of the backfield, this could be a difference maker against tougher competition. The young ones look solid too!

Great Team! Great program! Fill that trophy case with gold balls!

Thanks for the assessment. It is always good to hear a perspective from someone not associated with your team and from a fanbase (Maryville) who has seen a lot of good football.

Greeneville's strength is definitely their run defense. To be honest, you didn’t see it at full strength last night due to two very key injuries. So, that bodes well for their defense overall when they return (I just hope it is before the Alcoa game).

Pass defense has never been Greeneville’s strength. So, Maryville with their great QB is really a horrible matchup for Greeneville in that regard. The good news is, there won’t be any teams in 4A that can match what Maryville does offensively. Plus, it sounds like there may be some changes to the defense which can make a big difference. We have a great staff here, so I think the secondary will improve greatly over the next few weeks.

It sounds like the offense is a work in progress, which was expected. It will take awhile to adjust after losing Carmichael and Spradlin. Greeneville still has some very good athletes on that side of the ball and Ballard has a knack for getting the most out of the offense, so I’m not too worried. Plus, we don’t have to worry about playing you guys during the playoffs, which is always good news.

I hope both teams bring championships back to East Tennessee this year.

Great crowd and some great football from both teams looks like Maryville has alot of depth all over the field other than the DB position, the LB's look to have some very good players on all levels and a couple of new players at that position, the D does look very strong with the DL and LB's and I know coach will have the DB's ready by the first game. The O seemed to struggle a little with the run game but had some great plays throughout the scrimmage, Greenville will for sure be a force in 4-a this year and I wish them all the best with their quest for a repeat.