2011-2012 District 4a

eaglefan2012

Coalfield boys beat Jellico last night and the girls looked awesome!

I believe that our boys and girls will beat Wartburg this season. I'm not sure when the games come up, but do believe we will beat them.

Oakdale is still the best team with O.S. in second they almost beat Clarkrange. Then there is everyone else.

I'm not sold on O.S. just yet

http://www.coacht.com/tennessee/inside/schedule.cfm?schoolid=386&seasonid=155&sportid=2&

It looks like Clarkrange is the only decent team they played close, 26-52 against Kingston Thursday night? and a 33-59 loss to Loudon. I don't think they should be crowned just yet, lol

It also looks like Coalfield girls beat up on Jellico 42-59, but again, that's Jellico, a last place team in the district. I have no doubt they'll be good, they usually are, but again...Jellico :s

Oakdale on the other hand, they may be the real deal, they're playing tough games to start the year out:

http://www.coacht.com/tennessee/inside/schedule.cfm?schoolid=374&seasonid=155&sportid=2&

They may end up being the districts no.1 team.

Looking at Wartburgs scores, it looks like Kingston put a smacking on Oakdale, Oliver Springs AND Wartburg:

http://www.coacht.com/tennessee/inside/schedule.cfm?schoolid=54&seasonid=155&sportid=2&

I can't find much on Oneida, all I know for sure is, this is going to be a fun year, looks like it's Oakdale to me, then a pod of 2nd place teams, time will tell :)

Wow! Just noticed Sunbright beat Rockwood! Go Tigers!

Oakdale played Kingston largely without Kilby. Injured in opening minutes of game and didn't return. Oakdale and Wartburg played Kingston very similar. Both played tough until last couple of minutes and Kingston depth wore both of them down. Oakdale/Wartburg games against Kingston were both closer than the final score indicated. BTW Kingston is a good team.

Oakdale played Kingston largely without Kilby. Injured in opening minutes of game and didn't return. Oakdale and Wartburg played Kingston very similar. Both played tough until last couple of minutes and Kingston depth wore both of them down. Oakdale/Wartburg games against Kingston were both closer than the final score indicated. BTW Kingston is a good team.

Thanks for that game recap, I was wondering how it went, as the final score usually doesn't tell the whole story, and yes, Kingston has a VERY good team.

Good game at OS tonight between the Lady 'Cats and Lady Eagles. Very physical, OS made a late run and had a chance to send it to overtime at the end. Kilby had herbest game of the season for Oakdale. Not sure of her points, but 15+ rebounds. Kellie Ball also played great down the stretch for OS. Nearly willed her team to a win. She had something like 10 or 12 points in the final three minutes and had another shot go in and out.

This district is going to be tough, always is. Even the teams that are down coming into the season will be ready in February because there are so many good coaches in the district.

Good game at OS tonight between the Lady 'Cats and Lady Eagles. Very physical, OS made a late run and had a chance to send it to overtime at the end. Kilby had herbest game of the season for Oakdale. Not sure of her points, but 15+ rebounds. Kellie Ball also played great down the stretch for OS. Nearly willed her team to a win. She had something like 10 or 12 points in the final three minutes and had another shot go in and out.

This district is going to be tough, always is. Even the teams that are down coming into the season will be ready in February because there are so many good coaches in the district.

Thanks for the recap! I was hoping someone would do a summary on that game. I think Oakdale will be the team to beat this year, but I agree that there will be possibly 4 or 5 really good teams by the time districts get here.

Wartburgs game was really dull to be honest, Wartburg blew it out from the tip, not much to see really. I think they won by about 40 points, give or take a couple points. The plus side was everybody on the team got playing time.

The boys game was a different story, Jellico jumped out to about a 12 to 14 point lead really fast, and Wartburg trailed for the majority of the game, mostly down by double digits. Wartburg made a couple of runs, and with 1:17 left in the game they took the lead and ended up winning by 3. Malicoat sp? shot a trey at the buzzer to put it in OT, but it came off the front of the rim. Really exciting game for both sides.

Can someone explain what happened to Coalfield last night? They only had two girls score? AC might be pretty good, but not THAT good.

How will tonight's game with Oakdale and Oneida go? Sounds like OS was with them (Oakdale) all the way the other night. Personnally, Rufus thinks Oneida is a little better than OS this year.....at least til those little twins get a little more seasoning. OS will be better in Jan. and Feb., IMO.

Wartburg looks dangerous if their two young posts heat up. Sunbright doesn't figure to go any farther than them two guards can carry them, and in knee braces...that will be hard.

Coalfield is down from last year but if they can stay healthy, they will put up a good fight in the district...LIKE THEY ALWAYS DO. Everyone always predicts them 4th or 5th...even when Jordan played, and the girls always surprise people. Hines is a good coach with great dicipline. It will be a rough road for them this season, but I think they will be ready by tourney time... (again, if they can stay healthy due to numbers).They actually beat Jellico 69 to 42 (scores wrong on coacht) and showed a lot of promise. Heard there were a couple sick and injured in the AC game...(maybe a lack of effort or hope...who knows) Hopefully there won't be anymore games that bad. Like I said, they will have a rough road this season learning how to play together, but by tourney time, I think their heart and effort will carry them far as do most Coalfield girls basketball teams.

I don't believe anyone in this district is unbeatable. I will be very surprised if any team goes undefeated in the district this year.

I think that Oakdale will go undefeated in the district and feel Onieda, O.S. and Wartburg will be in a race for 2nd.

I don't know where you have been bballfan50 Coalfield was a coacht darling the past 4 years. People picked them to be a state tournament team 4 years in a row and they only made it once. Coalfield tradition is much like last season. Were better than Wartburg at 3 or 4 positions and lost in the tournament. Better than Oakdale at 2 spots and deeper, and with a D1 Player & District MVP on their roster and lose to Oakdale for the region. I believe that they tend to play down late in the season. Lets not forget their exit in Round 1 of the Regional Tournament a few years ago against Greenback. You are lost if you think that most don't think they should have won much more than they did the last few years.

Coalfield is the #4/5 team in the district

I think that Oakdale will go undefeated in the district and feel Onieda, O.S. and Wartburg will be in a race for 2nd.

I don't know where you have been bballfan50 Coalfield was a coacht darling the past 4 years. People picked them to be a state tournament team 4 years in a row and they only made it once. Coalfield tradition is much like last season. Were better than Wartburg at 3 or 4 positions and lost in the tournament. Better than Oakdale at 2 spots and deeper, and with a D1 Player & District MVP on their roster and lose to Oakdale for the region. I believe that they tend to play down late in the season. Lets not forget their exit in Round 1 of the Regional Tournament a few years ago against Greenback. You are lost if you think that most don't think they should have won much more than they did the last few years.

You can forget Oakdale going undefeated,Coacht scoreboard says Oneida won last night? Well, I guess Oneida could, lol

Wartburg beat Sunbright last night, but it wasn't a run away game. Sunbright looked better than I expected, and Wartburg didn't look as good as I expected. Wartburg looks like a 3rd or 4th place team to me right now, I think Oakdale, OS, AND Oneida is ahead of them. Kelly Kidd had a good game.

True, they won't go undefeated because of last night, but Oakdale is a force. Oneida was able to keep the scoore manageable all night and had just seperated too much for Oaldale to overcome in the end. Oakdale's front line is still every bit as formitable as last years, but a case can be made that their guards might require a little more seasoning. Nice game to watch as both teams showed a lot of grit and determination.

Guess I should have been more specific....

So, Of course Coalfield fans knew they could be successful and expected much out of them.

I was referring to the other district team fans that often voiced their opinion on this message board that all the other teams BUT Coalfield would be in the top three.

I agree that the girls tend to "play down" at the end of the season. Maybe they can't handle the pressure...who knows. There's not any pressure on them this year...hopefully they will grow and improve throughout the year and surprise some people.

I don't think the end result of this district can be predicted at all...too many possibilities.

And the state tourney appearance and other accomplishments are still impressive. There are many factors that go into tourney time so I don't know that we can completely blame it on "playing down"

I wouldn't bet on your prediction that Coalfield is 4/5

Edited by bballfan50