Two Simple Reasons

realsoccer

Posted by gobigred:
Posted by Chakra20:

Why does one have to belong to the national federation of high school athletics?

There is no law that says any school or association has to belong to the NFHS. Not being a member would only mean that member schools in TN or other states could not play you. In KCHScoach's scenario, it really wouldn't matter since all of the private schools would play each other anyway and without any recruiting restrictions. It would be without question the premier league with the premier players in the state. This scenario would likely decimate the talent pool in the public system.

I don't see how you think it would decimate the talent pool in public schools. Public schools would do just fine. I'm sure Nashville public schools might be hurt, but hey, they already are, so what's the difference?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by Antwan:
Posted by gobigred:
Posted by Chakra20:

Why does one have to belong to the national federation of high school athletics?

There is no law that says any school or association has to belong to the NFHS. Not being a member would only mean that member schools in TN or other states could not play you. In KCHScoach's scenario, it really wouldn't matter since all of the private schools would play each other anyway and without any recruiting restrictions. It would be without question the premier league with the premier players in the state. This scenario would likely decimate the talent pool in the public system.

I don't see how you think it would decimate the talent pool in public schools. Public schools would do just fine. I'm sure Nashville public schools might be hurt, but hey, they already are, so what's the difference?

I'm simply following the logic of so many others on this board that consistently say that the private schools already have all of the advantages over publics. If the privates have absolutely no recruiting or financial aid restrictions, and the rule that forces transfers to sit out a year is not in effect, then what great player wouldn't want to take advantage of the better education, better coaching, and better facilities that we keep hearing about?

The only factor that might keep a college athletics prospect in a public school would be the distance from their home to the nearest private school. I think a kid from Smith County could get to Friendship Christian in 25 minutes or so. DCA in 45. Heck, even that problem would probably be solved by more privates taking on boarding students to help boost their recruiting for athletic programs even further. Kind of a scary thought isn't it? Good thing for split supporters that this is only a hypothetical situation! :rolleyes:

Posted by gobigred:
Posted by Antwan:
Posted by gobigred:
Posted by Chakra20:

I'm simply following the logic of so many others on this board that consistently say that the private schools already have all of the advantages over publics. If the privates have absolutely no recruiting or financial aid restrictions, and the rule that forces transfers to sit out a year is not in effect, then what great player wouldn't want to take advantage of the better education, better coaching, and better facilities that we keep hearing about?

The only factor that might keep a college athletics prospect in a public school would be the distance from their home to the nearest private school. I think a kid from Smith County could get to Friendship Christian in 25 minutes or so. DCA in 45. Heck, even that problem would probably be solved by more privates taking on boarding students to help boost their recruiting for athletic programs even further. Kind of a scary thought isn't it? Good thing for split supporters that this is only a hypothetical situation! :rolleyes:

Friendship already has a bus that comes to Smith County. It takes a little longer than that to get there. It really wouldn't be a factor to us. We do have and have had a few students to go to Friendship, but not many. I don't think that would increase with the change you are referring to.

I don't think that would be the case in Tennessee, If privates are forced to form there own association in Tennessee I think it would be the best league. Who knows maybe down the road the tssaa would become defunked and only the private association would win out.....I know it would treat publics better than the publics treat privates now in the tssaa (public owned and operated)

I am not too sure which way it would go here in Tennessee, but if we look at history in Professional Sports (USFL, XFL etc), there is always one that nobody takes seriously and eventually splutters and dies.

I actually think it would be the Private Division that suffers this fate. Many schools cannot afford to offer the financial aid so I still believe the vast majority of good ball players would still remain in the Public System.

Putting all the complex issues aside, one thing that would really put me off moving to Div II is the fact that the playoffs are weak. Most teams qualify, there are only a couple of rounds and you see the same teams year in year out. I am not saying the teams are not good, I just don't think there is enough critical mass (ie number of teams) to make it really interesting.

Posted by KCHSCoach:

I don't think that would be the case in Tennessee, If privates are forced to form there own association in Tennessee I think it would be the best league. Who knows maybe down the road the tssaa would become defunked and only the private association would win out.....I know it would treat publics better than the publics treat privates now in the tssaa (public owned and operated)

Posted by TheEgoHasLanded:

I didn't question your education softballer, that was someone else.

What about the fact that a kid has to be

1-accepted to a private school

2-meet the testing eligibility.

3-And most importantly...PAY TO GO THERE...

isn't that kind of a disadvantage?

I'm sorry, I got you confused with someone else and I edited the post.

Sure it is a disadvantage to some but again the population that most the privates are in is huge compared to the 1a and 2a they compete against. But I don't see it as a great disadvatage for you. You are still able to have the attendance numbers that other 1A schools have. It's not like only 50 kids go to school there, right?

The "pay to go there issue", I know for a fact of one kid who could not afford a private school education yet was still able to attend and play basketball. Do I know where the money came from? NO. Do I care? No. I do know that when this one player left our school, 5 others followed him. They were runners-up in the state tourney. I know for a fact that some schools offer workstudy.

I'm not trying to say any of this is bad and the schools are doing something illegal but it provides kids, kids who are not zoned to that school, kids who may not have the finacial means, a way to attend that school.

Sure they have to be accepted, and maintain grades but we have already heard from several private school attendees that getting in is not that hard. You try to make it sound like only straight A, IQ 160+, students are the only ones getting in. Thier screening process is not without flaws. They get drug dealers in their schools, they have kids who flunk out. Their advantage is... theycan kick those students out forever. Not the case in public school.

No, private school kids are good, but some are bad, some are lazy and drug dealers as you said...which proves my point that they aren't all hand picked.

Every kid's parents think he is the next Michael Jordan. In the backyard the kid can hit 70% of his three pointers, and he can realistically run a 4.6 40 yard dash...or so his parents tell the kids.

You can not tell how good a kid will be in the 8th grade (on the average!)...When I was in the 8th grade, I scored 5 touchdowns in three games, and was one of the best players to play my position in the entire league.

Throughout my freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior year I caught one pass, and never scored a touchdown. Was my high school career a disappointment? Absolutely not, I just got a lot bigger and started playing another position.

When I was 13, I played AAU basketball on one of Memphis' best organizations...In case you didn't know, Memphis is home to 2nd Presbyterian, Idlewild Presbyterian, and Memphis Bellevue...every one of those teams have won national championships with players like Tony Harris, Robert O'Kelley, Paris London, Earnest Shelton, etc.

Despite being very good at such a young age at basketball and making the varsity...I never substantially helped the basketball team (who was one of the best in the city and state, but nonetheless I did not help them). Oh yeah, My dad was a college basketball player at a school called Memphis State, perhaps you have heard of them? That would have looked really good in a transcript if I had written that correct? On paper, I have the credntials! But I never achieved the goals I had set as a young man, and that more has to do with me physically not being as big as others, not from lack of effort...I didn't grow after my 10th grade year...but that is something that the dean of admissions would never know about would he?

Gosh, I guess its a good thing that no one ever offered me financial aid...cus if you look at me as an 8th grader, I was all american...but then in high school I was just an above average player.

The TSSAA rules say that a player must sit out one year, sometimes even with a change of housing...There are rules that prevent kids from just switching schools.

Softballer...

Do you not understand what I am getting at?

Just cus parents approach a private school and their kid happens to be an athlete...doesn't mean that a school accepts them just for that? I am saying, that it is very hard to tell how good a kid will become? Softball is probably more true then any other sport..

They do not accept a 14 year old kid, on the basis that he will become the next all american...it's just too hard to tell?

I would not call my athletic career a disappointment, I started as a 10th grader, 11th grader, and as a senior on a team that went to the state semifinals the last two years. I also was able to get a scholarship to college.

You do realize that many private schools ask what religion a prospective parent and child are? And it is completely legal to ask them that, as well as why they want to go there? Parents who are a certain religion are given first preference, as opposed to other parents who are a different religion...

Once again you address things on here that I have not even mentioned. I don't know why you do that? My one and only gripe is the sysytem allows private schools to take kids from anywhere they choose. I never said anything about recruiting or private schools screening kids for athletic ability. You brought those things up.

You were also the one who downplayed your athletic ability and now say you went on to college on scholarship. Couldn't have been that bad then.

[Edited by imasoftballer on 10-18-02 10:44A]

Let's shift it from me then, I wrote that in regards to recruiting...

I think the ability that private schools have, in regards to allowing almost anyone in to their school is over shadowed by the fact that the kids who want to go there have to...

1-confront the school/coaches to play for them.

2-Pass the test in order to get in.

3-The school must have room for them.

4-The student must meet elibility requirements (which are more stringent then that of public schools at a few private schools I know of).

5-The student must have the money in order to get in to the school.

6-The student must be good enough to play on the particular sports team, he or she wants to play on.

7-The student must meet character requirements at many schools as well or they will be dismissed.

Do these things not, turn most kids away?

Since you say that any private school is at a supreme advantage, let us look at Ridgeway High School.

Ridgeway is a city school in Memphis, and they have an open enrollment policy. I know of two standout basketball players who transferred there, one from a private school, and one from the state championship White Station high school basketball team.

Why is it, that Ridgeway and White Station are mediocre at best in terms of football, yet they have all the advantages that public schools have? Ridgeway had Willie Henderson and Ruben Mayes...one now plays for Memphis, the other for UT...yet they never get very far into the playoffs, yet they have open boundaries to recruit...and in Shelby County no less, a county that is filled with more athletes then the rest of this state.

Give me a reason to this please? Or if this is not your forte, just refuse to answer it, this goes for everyone, perhaps I should start a thread on this particular subject.