Two Simple Reasons

realsoccer

I don't think arguing over a computer and personal attacks is going to help anyone here.

Softballer...you are sad that Ezell is able to win off of their reputation only? That is no ones fault...They do not recruit, and if they DO then please report them, until then, they are like any other program that wins...

Why is Science Hill generally regarded as the best basketball program in the state? The tri-cities area is not nearly as big as Memphis or Nashville even COMBINED! Science Hill is a public school...oh wait this shoots down your theory that only private schools can win!

The fact that you do not know what you are talking about in regards to me and my posts regarding other schools and posts, just proves my point that it is mostly about FOOTBALL. You say it isn't about football, so when I talk to you about other sports, you are unable to respond.

People talk about Brentwood Academy and how great they are in football, yet they lose to McCallie, a team that lost to Chattanooga Tyner...which is a public/magnet school that is 2A...

There is no private school but one that has won more then one state championship in football for 1a.

If you have any other suggestions or posts, I welcome them softballer...I appreciate your input.

Antawn...I know you know that all private school supporters do not act like RealGoEagles...frankly I think him and Chakra are pretty unbias...I think VolunteerGeneral does a great job being un bias as well...I went to a Division 2 school...but I have chosen my stance because I honestly think it is the right decision...not because it will help the athletic stature of my former high school.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We lost to a good Cherokee team last season,lost in the playoffs to Austin East the year before,lost to harrimam in the playoffs the year before that.Neither one of those games bothered me a bit.We have only lost twice that was totaly unfair,To Ezell last year and to BGA in the third round of the playoffs, the last year they played with the public schools.Getting beat by a better team is nothing to be ashamed of. It is a shame to have to play teams loaded with hand picked talent. ;);););)

One problem I have with the arguments/discussion of this and similar threads is interpreting the concept of "fairness." It may not be explicitly stated but it is implied over and over that XYZ School has "advantages" over another and that County Team's win is not "fair" in some way.

Will someone answer this: What school does not have some advantage over another? I would submit that in the strictest sense of the word there is no "fair" or equitable matchup anywhere.

Let me anticipate one response. "Two small public schools from similar communities of similar size would be a fair matchup." What about this? Where is the game played? If it is played at one school or the other, aren't there home field "advantages?" (travel, crowd, familiarity, etc.) This certainly is not "fair." And before you say, "We play home and home series. That makes it even." Not so fast my friend. What if my son is a senior and he doesn't get to play your team on his home field. We aren't being "fair" to that child. What if the weather is good one year but horrendous the next? An "unfair" advantage for one team or another? What if one school's field (grass, crown, sidelines, etc.) is "better" than the other's? Is that "fair?"

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or inflammatory. I just struggle with answering the question, "What is fair?" My team has gotten spanked by Ezell-Harding in football the last two seasons, in basketball last season and in softball in numerous seasons, yet we are also a Christian School in a metropolitan area with a slightly larger enrollment. (Boyd Buchanan) Do they have an "unfair" advantage over us in some way? I don't think so. I am forced to admit that they may be better than us -- at least in those sports those years!

When Boyd-Buchanan was started as Chattanooga Bible School about fifty years ago, South Pittsburg had been winning football games for years (maybe decades -- I don't want to overstate the case)! They continued that trend until the last six or seven seasons when BBS has beaten them three times in about eight or ten meetings (including playoffs). Do they have an unfair advantage over us because of tradition, facilities, fan support, coaching, etc? Absolutely NOT! They are where we want to be! At the top of the heap!

The only "fair" way to decide is to let them play -- together. At least that is not subjective. Arguments over what is or is not "fair" are almost totally subjective.

Hey you public school supporters be careful for what you wish for, because you just might get it. If you think recruiting and scholarships are bad now, what do you think will happen when you put all privates out? With all privates out there will be enuff teams for them to form their own association, why be in tssaa and be restricted by them. If privates had their own association don't you think they would pass a rule that any public school transfer to a private be automatically elligible! Then see what happens to your best and brightest. And another point what is to stop a public school from bolting as well to a newly formed assocation if they don't like what the tssaa is doing. It is better to dance with the devil you know than the one you don't. So becareful what you wish for in your quest to legislate your self a championship.

Posted by KCHSCoach:

Hey you public school supporters be careful for what you wish for, because you just might get it. If you think recruiting and scholarships are bad now, what do you think will happen when you put all privates out? With all privates out there will be enuff teams for them to form their own association, why be in tssaa and be restricted by them. If privates had their own association don't you think they would pass a rule that any public school transfer to a private be automatically elligible! Then see what happens to your best and brightest. And another point what is to stop a public school from bolting as well to a newly formed assocation if they don't like what the tssaa is doing. It is better to dance with the devil you know than the one you don't. So becareful what you wish for in your quest to legislate your self a championship.

Only one association per state is allowed. I think we'll take our chances. :rolleyes:

Posted by TheEgoHasLanded:

I don't think arguing over a computer and personal attacks is going to help anyone here.

Softballer...you are sad that Ezell is able to win off of their reputation only? That is no ones fault...They do not recruit, and if they DO then please report them, until then, they are like any other program that wins...

Why is Science Hill generally regarded as the best basketball program in the state? The tri-cities area is not nearly as big as Memphis or Nashville even COMBINED! Science Hill is a public school...oh wait this shoots down your theory that only private schools can win!

The fact that you do not know what you are talking about in regards to me and my posts regarding other schools and posts, just proves my point that it is mostly about FOOTBALL. You say it isn't about football, so when I talk to you about other sports, you are unable to respond.

People talk about Brentwood Academy and how great they are in football, yet they lose to McCallie, a team that lost to Chattanooga Tyner...which is a public/magnet school that is 2A...

There is no private school but one that has won more then one state championship in football for 1a.

If you have any other suggestions or posts, I welcome them softballer...I appreciate your input.

Antawn...I know you know that all private school supporters do not act like RealGoEagles...frankly I think him and Chakra are pretty unbias...I think VolunteerGeneral does a great job being un bias as well...I went to a Division 2 school...but I have chosen my stance because I honestly think it is the right decision...not because it will help the athletic stature of my former high school.

I never said Ezell recruited, I think I said just the opposite. But for you to state they are like everyone else that win is way off. Who else has won 10+ championships in a 15 year period? I never said it was not about football, I said it was not just about football. I'm not looking to place blame on any one school. If it was not Ezell it would more than likely be another private school. Just look at the state tournaments from last year.

Boys Basketball

3 of 8 in State were private all 3 went to the semis, 2 of those were in the final, winner was a private school

Girls Basketball

5 of the 8 were private, 3 made the semis, 1 made the finals, a private school won

Baseball

4 of 4 were private in the state tourney, the rest is history

Softball

won by a private school

Football

won by a private in 1A and 2A

Girls soccer

6 of the 8 in state were private

won by public school

Volleyball

won by public, was the only sport not heavy loaded with private schools

What other sports have I not responed to you about??? Let me state once again... I have nothing against private schools or the people who go to them. The sysytem or rules in place now tend to favor private schools(zones). This is not about just fairness but fair ness within the system. The sysytem states that public schools can only take students/athletes that are zoned for that school, there is no such rule for the privates. I don't know all the answers never claimed to. I can see problems with every solution. You assume to much about people you don't even know. The school I coach for is not even 1A, we are 2A, so Ezell is no concern to us directly. I'm kinda looking from the outside in, although private schools do have a part in 2A, it is not as bad as it is in 1A.

[Edited by imasoftballer on 10-16-02 2:19P]

[Edited by imasoftballer on 10-17-02 8:48A]

Posted by Antwan:
Posted by KCHSCoach:

Only one association per state is allowed. I think we'll take our chances. :rolleyes:

Allowed by whom?

Posted by gobigred:
Posted by Antwan:
Posted by KCHSCoach:

Allowed by whom?

The national federation of high schools. NFHA

[Edited by Antwan on 10-16-02 4:30P]

Posted by pujo:

We lost to a good Cherokee team last season,lost in the playoffs to Austin East the year before,lost to harrimam in the playoffs the year before that.Neither one of those games bothered me a bit.We have only lost twice that was totaly unfair,To Ezell last year and to BGA in the third round of the playoffs, the last year they played with the public schools.Getting beat by a better team is nothing to be ashamed of. It is a shame to have to play teams loaded with hand picked talent. :D:D:rolleyes::)

pujo....the more you keep saying things like hand picked talent the more you lose credibility. You may think that and you might keep on saying it, but again you are wrong. I`m not the only one who has said this to you. If you want to discuss things then you should try and be realistic. :)

Posted by Chakra20:

Why does one have to belong to the national federation of high school athletics?

There is no law that says any school or association has to belong to the NFHS. Not being a member would only mean that member schools in TN or other states could not play you. In KCHScoach's scenario, it really wouldn't matter since all of the private schools would play each other anyway and without any recruiting restrictions. It would be without question the premier league with the premier players in the state. This scenario would likely decimate the talent pool in the public system.