Oakland v. Gallatin

MidTennFootball

When the schedules were first announced, as a fan, this is the one game that I wanted to see. A chance to measure ourselves out of district play against a program like the Green Wave should be a great test of where we can expect to be heading into the bulk of our schedule. Gallatin has looked very solid early, making it through the early part of their schedule unscathed despite having to play short-handed at times. One of the few non-district games that will have all the feel of a big-time district matchup. I am gonna step back and let you guys debate and Ill chime in later in the week.............

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be an old-fashioned slobber knocker. Biggest question is whether there will be any survivors. :)

Is Gallatin back to full strength this week?

Full strength, with the exception of the starting quarterback (17) due to an injury. The back-up QB has looked solid in his abscence.

Gallatin dismantled Lebanon 41-0, allowing them ~20 yards of total offense for the night. Excited to see this game!!

Gallatin leads the series 19-9 but have lost the last 2 meetings. Last time these teams met was in 2000 with the Wave losing 27-0 and if memory serves me right, it really wasn't even that close. Gallatin's last victory over Oakland was in 96'under then coach Jerry Joslin (Cookeville's current coach). This series was a mainstay for both teams through the 70's up until the early 90's. It was always viewed as a measuring stick and a state wide top game of the week. These games are usually low scoring affairs as well. In 84' Oakland won the state title but their only loss that season was a 26-3 setback to the Wave. In 89' Oakland beat Gallatin 10-0 in the regular season only to play for and lose the state title to Gallatin 19-9 in the Clinic Bowl known as the "Ice Bowl". With both of these teams 3-0, look for this to be another classic game. Looking forward to seeing Oakland's stadium for the first time and getting one of those legendary hotdogs!!

2priceless better come on down for this game, we have both been wanting it for a long time!

HERE IS THE STATEMENT GAME FOR GALLATIN, AGAINST A VERY GOOD OPPONENT: GALLATIN WINS 26-10. THE WAVE SHOULD BE LOOKING AT THE 5A CHAMPIONSHIP, AS I DONT SEE ANY TEAM IN 5A ABLE TO MATCH UP PHYSICALLY WITH GALLATIN. SO FAR MY PREDICTIONS HAVE BEEN GHS 21-WILSON CENTRAL 7, GHS 34 SPRINGFIELD 16, AND GHS 41-LEBANON 0....SHOULD I BUY A LOTTERY TICKET?

HERE IS THE STATEMENT GAME FOR GALLATIN, AGAINST A VERY GOOD OPPONENT: GALLATIN WINS 26-10. THE WAVE SHOULD BE LOOKING AT THE 5A CHAMPIONSHIP, AS I DONT SEE ANY TEAM IN 5A ABLE TO MATCH UP PHYSICALLY WITH GALLATIN. SO FAR MY PREDICTIONS HAVE BEEN GHS 21-WILSON CENTRAL 7, GHS 34 SPRINGFIELD 16, AND GHS 41-LEBANON 0....SHOULD I BUY A LOTTERY TICKET?

Lucky Gallatin didn't go for 2 on those last 2 tds last night...

:roflol:

Gwave, I think Oakland is similar to Gallatin in that they run a base 40 defense. If they have alot of experienced guys on defense, I would expect alot of different looks (3 down linemen, safety blitzes, zone blitzes, etc...) We are actually seeing this alot from Gallatin with so much experience on the defensive side of the ball. If Oakland is younger, we may see more of a vanilla 4-3 zone approach. I remember a couple years ago when Oakland won the state championship, their defense was nasty and relentless. I don't think Oakland passes alot on offense... IIRC, a poster in another thread said that he has seen games with as little as 2 pass attempts. Granted, Gallatin has a very good defense this year so I don't see the Patriots being able to get away with no passing whatsoever. Another interesting note about this game is that our OC is very familiar with this Oakland coaching staff and their philosophies, and vice versa. I don't think strength of schedule will play much of a factor here, as Gallatin has been playing quality opponents ever since we left the metro district. I do, however, think that special teams will somehow play into deciding the victor. If that's the case, Gallatin very well could come up on the short end of this game. Should be an old school game with an old school feel, but I'm thinking 24-20 Oakland.

I couldn't remember if they ran a 4-3 or a 5-2 defense. Gallatin's combined opponents 2-7, Oakland's 4-5...not sure if it matters much. Your right though I don't think they throw the ball around a whole lot. Looks like Chesterfield is their workhorse running the ball. I am gonna have to look at some of their stats to get more of a feel for them. Gallatin has to get better in the kicking game no doubt. Very inconsistent. It appears that Oakland also has a penalty problem like Gallatin experienced last year. Luckily so far, Gallatin has done a way better job with the dumb penalties. But this will be a very tough game with plenty of hard hits. Oakland is definitely no slouch.

Crazy to think that after this coming week, Gallatin will have some experience against every single one of the big boys from 7AAA (minus Siegel, who could be legit this year after beating Blackman). Regardless of the outcome of this game, it is going to make BOTH teams better going into the next few weeks. Another thing I've been wondering about is practice this week. No doubt it is going to rain, and Gallatin could be practicing inside since we have the indoor field. Does Oakland have a similar facility, or will the Pats be hoofing it in the rain? I know that point may be a bit nit-picky, but any time you have to adjust your normal flow of practice it could create some problems.