Public school coaches told not to pray

pioneer95

I am the Head Coach of a Tennessee High School football team as well as a Christian and my stance is this: I, for one, am no where near being perfect. I am going to put my team in a position where they can win at the scoreboard at the end of the field. But more importantly, I am going to put them in a position to win at the scoreboard's at the end of their lives. We Pray before and after every practice and games(in which I lead). We have a Team Chaplin who is at almost every practice and game. We also have an FCA Character Coach Speaker every Thursday to bring the Word and open the Invitation to Christian Discipleship (So far we've had over 40 kids to give their life to Christ and more than 60 to rededicate their lives (in less than 3 years). I strongly feel that God puts his people in leadership positions to help carry out the Great Commission (Matthew 28). Like I said before, I'm not perfect. But I'd hate to be the person, who at the end of their life, have to explain to GOD why they didn't take advantage of the opportunities that he gave them to spread his Word to others. So as for me and my Family, we will serve the Lord!

+1 "Well done"

I am the Head Coach of a Tennessee High School football team as well as a Christian and my stance is this: I, for one, am no where near being perfect. I am going to put my team in a position where they can win at the scoreboard at the end of the field. But more importantly, I am going to put them in a position to win at the scoreboard's at the end of their lives. We Pray before and after every practice and games(in which I lead). We have a Team Chaplin who is at almost every practice and game. We also have an FCA Character Coach Speaker every Thursday to bring the Word and open the Invitation to Christian Discipleship (So far we've had over 40 kids to give their life to Christ and more than 60 to rededicate their lives (in less than 3 years). I strongly feel that God puts his people in leadership positions to help carry out the Great Commission (Matthew 28). Like I said before, I'm not perfect. But I'd hate to be the person, who at the end of their life, have to explain to GOD why they didn't take advantage of the opportunities that he gave them to spread his Word to others. So as for me and my Family, we will serve the Lord!

Great post!!!!!!! Keep rolling Coach! :thumb:

There is more proof that global warming exists than any proof of some sort of giant invisible cosmic boogie-man floating around up in the sky somewhere demanding to be prayed to at Friday night football games.

You people are (as they say in the South)..."a real hoot!"

Belief ain't the issue. What I question is the power of the state to prohibit voluntary expressions of faith in the public arena. Until the early 70's at the very earliest even in the godless realms of the north where you apparently prefer to abide, no one in the United States would have questioned the right of a coach to pray or bow his head.

The phrase "separation of church and state" (sometimes "wall of separation between church and state"), attributed to Thomas Jefferson and others, and since quoted by the Supreme Court of the United States, expresses an understanding of the intent and function of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States. That doesn't seem too far fetched for even poorly educated hillbilly sports fans to understand. Certainly if they cling so strongly to belief in a giant invisible cosmic boogie-man floating around up in the sky somewhere demanding to be prayed to at ballgames on a Friday night, then the concept of church/state separation should be a piece of cake. Not sure why they struggle so much with it.

Oh us poorly educated hillbilly sports fans understand that allright it's just that the original amendment says it will not prohibit the exercise there of and that kind of confuses us, seems that the liberals always seem to forget that. But thats okay cause they don't have to believe in anything that tells them they are wrong.

:thumb:

There is more proof that global warming exists than any proof of some sort of giant invisible cosmic boogie-man floating around up in the sky somewhere demanding to be prayed to at Friday night football games.

"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God................" Psalms 14:1

[/quote I've found that the vast majority of people who are raised in a christian atmosphere, end up being very good people and some of these don't believe in what you call the boogeyman. Evidently you were not raised that way and that's a shame.

I couldn't AGREE MORE!!...I for one have HAD IT!! Please also know that the Henry County High School football team could also be refered to as the "Praying Patriots"! After EVERY game..Win or Lose...the Patriots hold hands, surrounded by coaches, families, fans, supporters, and cheerleaders and cite what's commonly refered to as the "Lord's Prayer" down on the field, whether at home or on the road in fair weather or foul! This is not only a tradition passed down from class to class...it's a right afforded them by the constitution that governs the land in which the very school resides!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prez Ive had Enough of this ACLU crap...I know both schools in Dyer County do as the Pats do after the games with visiting teams joining in should they desre to join hands in solidarity in Christ like love of one another..Somethings got to change quick ..

I encourage all to call your national ,state, local representatives and lets Stand up for what Our Nation was built on.!

Edited by DHSFB64

Benjamin Franklin is quoted as saying "lighthouses are more helpful than churches." Reality is that most of the founding fathers and presidents were deists, not Christians.

On top of that didn't "yall's" jesus tell all you religious extremists something along the lines of...

"But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

Quite the opposite of being told to violate the law of the land by making a spectacle of religion at Friday night PUBLIC school ballgames. Church schools can certainly do as they like at their home games - handle snakes, speak in tongues or whatever they feel like. More of you should look into aligning with those.

Benjamin Franklin is quoted as saying "lighthouses are more helpful than churches." Reality is that most of the founding fathers and presidents were deists, not Christians.

On top of that didn't "yall's" jesus tell all you religious extremists something along the lines of...

"But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

Quite the opposite of being told to violate the law of the land by making a spectacle of religion at Friday night PUBLIC school ballgames. Church schools can certainly do as they like at their home games - handle snakes, speak in tongues or whatever they feel like. More of you should look into aligning with those.

Again, you're fixated on irrelevancies, like geography and whether the founders were really christians -- the fact is that you and others like you love big government and being told what you can and cannot do. The founders recognized the evils of big leviathan government and sought to restrict its power by prohibiting a state religion whilst simultaneously prohibiting the state from denying its citizens the right to freely practice their chosen religion. You and others like you have successfully turned those principles on their head in the courts.

The verse you quote is from Matthew Chapter 6...the 6th verse...and it follows the subject of "the intention" of your worship or praise...as noted in the 1st verse of Matthew 6 as those were instructed to.."Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven." In other words...be careful "as to the reason" you do these things. Never will you find in scripture that its inappropriate to pray in a public forum.

Puzzling how a person who refers to the Heavenly Father as a "boogie man" is familiar with the New Testament as you seem to be...although using verses out of context...and yet you claim there's no God!?