Mo West vs Sevier County

THSVikings2004

I am by no means an expert on this subject, but I have been to every mo west game since the beginning of last season. This is just my observations in that short time. This matchup is a nightmare for mo west in a since that SC's strengths seem to be mo west's biggest weaknesses.

1. Mo west has weak corner play. The corners are not athletic enough and therefore tend to give a lot of cushion to avoid getting beat deep. They rarely make plays on the ball. And with one safety, if he gets sucked up into the line on a play action or is forced to cover a third receiver there's no help over the top.

2. Mo west's QB tends to make some poor decisions and tries to force the ball into coverage when nothing's there. Turnovers will flip the field no matter how well the D plays.

3. The receivers drop easy passes and I've even seen them run wrong routes at times. These are almost always drive killers.

So the keys for a mo west win in my opinion:

1. The dline and linebackers are going to have to get pressure every play. If SC's QB has all day to sit back there they'll score at will.

2. Mo west will have to sustain long, clock chewing scoring drives relying heavily on the run. They need to finish drives with TDs, not FGs against SC. They have to keep SC's high powered offense on the sidelines as long as possible. Wesley Goins being injured has hurt the running game tremendously the last few weeks.

3. They can't get in third and long. These more times than not result in turnovers, dropped passes and errant throws.

Again, just my 2 cents and that's probably about all my opinion's worth. :)

Here's hoping for a good game tonight (and most importantly a west win)!

Edited by bfun1

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe your starting to run your mouth about DB already and we hav'nt even gave you your beatdown yet this year. Sevier County is a very dangerous 6A team and is going to make some noise in the playoffs. There is no way Mo West has a prayer of winning this game. I say Sevier County by 21. They will pass for 400 yds. and light Mo West up. Period!!!!!! Can't wait to see the little Vikes come to J Fred a week from Friday! Your gonna get to see another good spanking like you got last year. Atleast you will get home in time to watch Kenny on Touchdown Friday Night!! Roll Tribe!!!!!!!!!!!! :roflol:

I can't believe YOU are starting this "We are the World" crap AGAIN this year knowing that as big and bad as you think DB is AGAIN this year... Maryville will more than likely hang 42 on you... once AGAIN this year. It's crazy how you DBers think that anytime someone mentions DB it's like the DB Bat Signal going up over Eastman and you need to swoop in like Batman and save the day. :roflol: It's pretty laughable to me knowing that your lacrosse team more than likly has a better chance at a State Championship than your football team. Oh wait....... you don't have a lacrosse team! :roflolk:

Edited by Cap1

You should really go watch a real football team sometime before you start running off at the mouth. I mean, you lost to Virginia freakin High!! Really???? Wow, that had to hurt.

Yea... pretty bad. <_< But I would imagine not half as bad as it does to be a top five State Ranked team year in and year out and find yourself having to come watch Tenn. High in the second round of the playoffs because your State Ranked team is done. But I guess you're probably use to it by now. :D

I am by no means an expert on this subject, but I have been to every mo west game since the beginning of last season. This is just my observations in that short time. This matchup is a nightmare for mo west in a since that SC's strengths seem to be mo west's biggest weaknesses.

1. Mo west has weak corner play. The corners are not athletic enough and therefore tend to give a lot of cushion to avoid getting beat deep. They rarely make plays on the ball. And with one safety, if he gets sucked up into the line on a play action or is forced to cover a third receiver there's no help over the top.

2. Mo west's QB tends to make some poor decisions and tries to force the ball into coverage when nothing's there. Turnovers will flip the field no matter how well the D plays.

3. The receivers drop easy passes and I've even seen them run wrong routes at times. These are almost always drive killers.

So the keys for a mo west win in my opinion:

1. The dline and linebackers are going to have to get pressure every play. If SC's QB has all day to sit back there they'll score at will.

2. Mo west will have to sustain long, clock chewing scoring drives relying heavily on the run. They need to finish drives with TDs, not FGs against SC. They have to keep SC's high powered offense on the sidelines as long as possible. Wesley Goins being injured has hurt the running game tremendously the last few weeks.

3. They can't get in third and long. These more times than not result in turnovers, dropped passes and errant throws.

Again, just my 2 cents and that's probably about all my opinion's worth. :)

Here's hoping for a good game tonight (and most importantly a west win)!

Sounds like motownanddown and bfun1 have a differing opinion of their defense. Don't know if Greeneville had the passing attack to take advantage of MW's secondary or not but MEast for sure didn't. If their corners play off our receivers (like the previous times we have played) then SC will take the short stuff all night and if they have trouble covering two receivers it could be real trouble when we empty the backfield and go with 4 of them.

Edited by SCBear

Sounds like motownanddown and bfun1 have a differing opinion of their defense. Don't know if Greeneville had the passing attack to take advantage of MW's secondary or not but MEast for sure didn't. If their corners play off our receivers (like the previous times we have played) then SC will take the short stuff all night and if they have trouble covering two receivers it could be real trouble when we empty the backfield and go with 4 of them.

There is no denying the corner play is the Achilles heel of the West defense, but the great play of the safeties and the linebackers bail them out. West gets into the backfield and causes chaos for any type of offense. The outside linebackers all have speed and can cover as well a most safeties. Lavoi can scramble but the only scrambler that has given West trouble is Ricker and that is because of his ability to break tackles, the West defense got to him but they couldnt bring him down once they did.

There is no denying the corner play is the Achilles heel of the West defense, but the great play of the safeties and the linebackers bail them out. West gets into the backfield and causes chaos for any type of offense. The outside linebackers all have speed and can cover as well a most safeties. Lavoi can scramble but the only scrambler that has given West trouble is Ricker and that is because of his ability to break tackles, the West defense got to him but they couldnt bring him down once they did.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that our linebackers are flat out studs across the board. I also think this defense is built to stop the run and that's why they looked dominant on D against Greenville.

I think back to the second half of the Science Hill game and if not for Jarek Barry's diving interception, mo west would have lost that game. They couldn't stop Science Hill's hurry up passing attack and they were getting little penetration in the second half. I have not seen SC play this year, but I think back to how they looked last year and how they appear to others this year and I turned to my wife and said "If they play like that against SC, it won't be close.".

So the following game against South Doyle, they couldn't stop the pass again. South Doyle's drops is what stopped them and it was way closer than it should have been. East was a rivalry game, so records and stats don't count. But West was playing from behind almost the whole game and East killed themselves with penalties on the winning drive. Maybe West would've scored regardless, but that's not winning football.

I really sincerely hope West has made the necessary changes to get this win, but until I see something different than what they've been putting on the field the last 2 1/2 games...I'm a bit skeptical. After the first 3 1/2 games I would have lined this team up with confidence against most anyone. I don't know if the success is getting to their heads, but they better have the chinstraps tightened and the helmets on straight tonight because this may be biggest test for how far this team can go this year.

Still hoping for a Trojan victory and I'll be there cheering them on as loud as I can.

Just got done browsing the SC roster and one thing that jumps out at me is SC seems a bit small on paper. I'm sure they have a ton of team speed, but I'll be curious to see the OL/DL battle. Might be an x-factor for this game. It'll be interesting to see the size comparisons live on the field as it may not be as much difference as it seems.

Go Trojans!!!

Just got done browsing the SC roster and one thing that jumps out at me is SC seems a bit small on paper. I'm sure they have a ton of team speed, but I'll be curious to see the OL/DL battle. Might be an x-factor for this game. It'll be interesting to see the size comparisons live on the field as it may not be as much difference as it seems.

Go Trojans!!!

You are correct. This is a classic matchup of size versus speed. It's pretty simple actually. If your defense can take away our ability to complete passes then MW will win. Everything we do offensively is predicated on our ability to pass. We are not good enough to just line up and run the ball and be one dimensional (at least against the good teams). We have to pass to win.......period.

Yea... pretty bad. <_< But I would imagine not half as bad as it does to be a top five State Ranked team year in and year out and find yourself having to come watch Tenn. High in the second round of the playoffs because your State Ranked team is done. But I guess you're probably use to it by now. :D

Last year I remember seeing alot of Tennessee High people at the second round playoff game at DB. Oh yeah, I remember now. Tennessee High lost in the first round and didn't have anywhere else to go. Better get used to it.:)

No what is "just dumb" is that fact that you fail to realize that Sevier Co has truly played NOBODY. In fact two of the weak teams you have played on your schedule have only won a single game all season. Your only test was (like I said) DB, and you will see much of the same with Mo West plus they are more discipline and have a better QB.

I mean, heck I actually feel sorry for you. Your just like clock work. Year after year, the same thing. OPEN MOUTH , INSERT FOOT! ! !

I can't find the words to describe just how stupid you are. I've googled it, I've been to Webster, I can't find the words. Perhaps there are no words to describe how stupid you are. You voted for Obama didn't you.:)

I just know you did.

Sever Co. has has one true test this season in DB... and they failed. No way Sever shows Mo West anything that they haven't seen already at Greeneville or Science Hill.

Mo West by 17

Should I say anything more? Should I? This guy is like "all time dumbest poster on CoachT" My head could fall off and I'd be smarter than this.