TSSAA visits Signal Mtn

Rabble Rouser

Yes, but there are 3A and 4A schools in that district. The only 4A schools are ND and SM, so one of them has to go to the playoffs in 4A (if I understand all this mess correctly). It's like the 5A/6A district from last year. Cleveland and Walker Valley were the only two 5A teams in that district. Cleveland won the head-to-head meeting and went to the 5A playoffs, even though they lost to most every 6A team in that district. I think the same applies here. Someone, either ND or SM has to go to the playoffs in 4A regardless of whether or not a 3A team technically "wins" the district. Again, if I'm understanding this right, if the TSSAA rules against SM, they may be forced to forfeit the win over ND, giving ND the automatic playoff berth in 4A.

A 4A team does not have to make the playoffs, Cleveland had a winning record and got in on a wild card spot last year. If what you where saying was true Notre Dame would have been a playoff team the last 2 years being the only 4A team in the district. Notre Dame could still make the playoffs with a wild card spot. And yes the Signal Mnt situation would help them but the rest of 4A would also benefit.

Its very obvious that the past few months in different parts of the State that the TSSAA is very serious about any infractions whether across state lines or not. This is not saying that there is any infraction here. Federal laws have changed. But for the TSSAA to be sending two investigators the way they have done does mean the situation is complicated. There is a similiar situation in Memphis with a basketball player that is not resolved. It sounds similiar. The full story has not been told and the TSSAA can not afford to make a big deal out of nothing. If Signal is found with an intentional infraction this time, its not good. The case might be unintentional but the players status might be the problem. A case in Memphis included 4 football players. to transfer out of Memphis across the Mississippi line and they were not allowed to play, I believe. This is going back the other way. IMO the ruling is going to have to be consistant. The TSSAA is making transfers complicated with Federal Laws changing.

The incidents you are referring too are not the same. In Memphis the 4 players all got an address at a trailer park in the zone for the school but didn't live there. This was a very big no, no. In Perry County the players in question also got an address inside the zone/county for the new school and it appears they stayed there some but their mom didn't move and she had custody of the boys. This was discovered because of her facebook post. Again a big no, no.

No one is questioning the fact that the SM player now actually resides in TN and not GA. They are questioning if he is in the SM zone and if not should he be eligible. I think all SM people have been consistent that he doesn't live on the mountain. He actually lives in the zone for one of our many falling schools here in Hamilton County. Thus he is entitled by the NCLB law to go to a passing school if he so chooses. None of this information is different than what was submitted to the TSSAA when they determined him to be eligible. But apparently some school doesn't like it and they called to complain and they are investigating.

Whats really sad is how the TSSAA apparently broadcast this to the local media and this kid who hasn't done anything wrong is having his name tarnished. IMO they should come in and do an investigation and then release findings, even if they don't find anything. This does two things. It keeps a potentially innocent player and school from having an unjust negative light put on them and it would show other schools that the TSSAA is out and keeping an eye on things.

Bottom line is if we didn't have failing schools we wouldn't be having this issue. Unfortunately I don't see this changing anytime soon, at least not in Hamilton County.

There is a definition of ‘territory’ on page 6 of the by-laws.

"

Territory – For a public school, the “territory†of the school is the geographic boundaries and bus routes of the area served by that school as established by the local board of education. For a system-wide public school, the “territory†of the school is the geographic

boundaries of the school system. For a non-public school, the “territory†of the school is the area within a twenty (20) mile radius from

the school"

I see a big yellow bus coming up the mountain every day full of kids from off the mountain. Guess this means they are on a bus route for SM. :thumb:

If TSSAA suggest you do something as a precaution, you do it especially when the player is not even needed. I wish they would do a whole team audit since the program was started just to shut some people up. TSSAA are doing this investigation because they have to,they got a formal complaint. People only harp on the athletes who have success when its not expected. The boys who play and have played at Signal are hard workers, and they have had a decent Coach who knows how to get those hard workers moving in the right direction. Instead of being cheered for their success around the Chattanooga neighborhood they get harrassed on forums and get cheap shots taken at them because of what, because they win? Really what has these 15-18 year old done to anyone other than play the best they can. Signal does have some Silver tongued fans who sometimes talk when they shouldnt, but thats just because they are proud that they finally have a true local school on the mountain to root for. Its the community and support that makes a program good. I say take pride in your area not just one school in particular, I hope 4 Chattanooga area schools come home with golden balls in December (SouthPit, BoydB, Baylor, and Signal). This will go in Signals favor because they've havent done anything wrong.

I would be careful what you wish for. There could be things in that program you don't want to know about. Signal Mt's meteoric rise has raised a lot of eyebrows. This stuation has given them a reason to go digging.

I hope everything works out alright for the Eagles but now that there's a hint of impropriety, there will always be a cloud of suspicion and if they rule this player ineligible, all schools with NCLB athletes could be in violation.

I would be careful what you wish for. There could be things in that program you don't want to know about. Signal Mt's meteoric rise has raised a lot of eyebrows. This stuation has given them a reason to go digging.

I hope everything works out alright for the Eagles but now that there's a hint of impropriety, there will always be a cloud of suspicion and if they rule this player ineligible, all

schools with NCLB athletes could be in violation.

There are many school districts with failing schools, whose

kids do not go to other schools that are passing. So Signal Mountain is co-opping with Howard, do they just pick the kids they want to get a "Better Education!" Sounds like Hamilton County is hooking up some schools with some really good athletes. So who are some of the other partnered schools in Hamilton County? Is SM the only team that uses this recruiting tool? Pretty genius if you ask me! LOOPHOLES!

I hope everything works out alright for the Eagles but now that there's a hint of impropriety, there will always be a cloud of suspicion and if they rule this player ineligible, all schools with NCLB athletes could be in violation.

Kiplings "If", some of the best words ever put down on paper. But this may be a situation where they get to start again at their beginnings.

They should have made sure the kid had an uncle that lived in the area..right Barb :roflol::roflol:

There is a definition of ‘territory’ on page 6 of the by-laws.

Thanks, GDF; I missed that one. I guess it does get back to the NCLB issue. Looks like it falls upon the local school board to define the "geographic boundaries" of a school under NCLB. About as clear as mud.

Again, T$$AA knew the circumstances of his transfer and ruled him eligible to play. How can they reverse that decision now?:wacko:

The incidents you are referring too are not the same. In Memphis the 4 players all got an address at a trailer park in the zone for the school but didn't live there. This was a very big no, no. In Perry County the players in question also got an address inside the zone/county for the new school and it appears they stayed there some but their mom didn't move and she had custody of the boys. This was discovered because of her facebook post. Again a big no, no.

No one is questioning the fact that the SM player now actually resides in TN and not GA. They are questioning if he is in the SM zone and if not should he be eligible. I think all SM people have been consistent that he doesn't live on the mountain. He actually lives in the zone for one of our many falling schools here in Hamilton County. Thus he is entitled by the NCLB law to go to a passing school if he so chooses. None of this information is different than what was submitted to the TSSAA when they determined him to be eligible. But apparently some school doesn't like it and they called to complain and they are investigating.

Whats really sad is how the TSSAA apparently broadcast this to the local media and this kid who hasn't done anything wrong is having his name tarnished. IMO they should come in and do an investigation and then release findings, even if they don't find anything. This does two things. It keeps a potentially innocent player and school from having an unjust negative light put on them and it would show other schools that the TSSAA is out and keeping an eye on things.

Bottom line is if we didn't have failing schools we wouldn't be having this issue. Unfortunately I don't see this changing anytime soon, at least not in Hamilton County.

Not fact. Mother didn't have custody, mother and father are still married. She worked in another county, and only stayed there while she was working. Not going over the whole story again, it's over and done with. I will say this about T$$AA: they aren't going to do very much investigating, they will do whatever benefits them. Perhaps all those rich folks at SM could make a donation, and all this would go away. :roflol: