TSSAA visits Signal Mtn

Rabble Rouser

Milan had an incident like this 4 or 5 years ago and TSSAA approved this kid. But come to find out he wasn't living were the parents said he did and TSSAA investigated and found that to be true and took several wins away from Milan...Maybe some people from Milan could shed more light on this because i don't know all the details.

Milan was the first incident I thought of in this situation as well. The TSSAA took awa Milan's wins so they now have to take away SM's wins under the same scenario. USJ was the school that told on Milan and I am sure that Bledsoe County, South Pitt, or Notre Dame was the likely possibility of a school that told on SM.

This issue at hand isn't whether the child is going up to SM to study math and reading. It is about where his home school is zoned and about eligibility to play at SM under TSSAA guidelines. His class scores from his previous school have to meet certain requirements regardless, for him to be eligible anywhere.

Would that be the school closest to his home now or the school he went to in Georgia the previous year?

Thanks Pirate_Mike I'm sure it will all work out. No worries here. You can bet Coach Price wouldn't take a risk like this for anyone, especially a kid that hadn't ever played before. It really sucks for the kid, he should be allowed to play. After all aren't we supposed to be innocent until proven guilty.

Agree...it's not his fault and it's not the fault of the other kids on the team. Be careful and think of them because unfounded accusations are damaging and using this as an excuse to blast Signal is wrong.

Milan was the first incident I thought of in this situation as well. The TSSAA took awa Milan's wins so they now have to take away SM's wins under the same scenario. USJ was the school that told on Milan and I am sure that Bledsoe County, South Pitt, or Notre Dame was the likely possibility of a school that told on SM.

Go back and read what he said. He said they found out they weren't living where they said they were that's why they got the wins taken away. I haven't heard anyone questioning if the kid is living where he said he was. They are questioning if he is going to the right school. So the only way this would be the same is if the family lied about their residence and they didn't.

Waterboy isn't a SM fan he is a poser and this really proves it. All SM people know SP has a 6'5 300lbs kid from the same school. He is just trying to get the SP faithful fired up at SM as they have a great following on CoachT. :thumb:

I go to Signal Mounatin you clown you can't be anynmore of a fan than I am. Just because old age has left you all passive doesn't mean some of us don't have the stones to still stand up for what we believe in. You can play nice all you want but I won't stand for this garbage.

Edited by Waterboy96

Waterboy isn't a SM fan he is a poser and this really proves it. All SM people know SP has a 6'5 300lbs kid from the same school. He is just trying to get the SP faithful fired up at SM as they have a great following on CoachT. :thumb:

Sounds like the whole mess of you in that area play a little dirty.

Would that be the school closest to his home now or the school he went to in Georgia the previous year?

Yes, which is thought to be Howard. However, it could be that his folks still have their place in Georgia. Its now a wait and see from the TSSAA.

If you are referring to Willie Carmichael, he lived with his cousin moved to Greeneville with him. And he had to sit out part of basketball season his jr year in order to comply wit the TSSAA transfer rule.(yes he transferred to Greeneville midway through his jr year and participated in both basketball and baseball as a jr)Greeneville has had open enrollment for many, many years and takes the

TSSAA tranfer rules very seriously.

Mr. Carmichael never played an out of baseball, he considered it as a senior, but chose to focus on his grades instead.

I found this on another site:

May my child continue to be on a sports team at the new school if she/he uses Public School Choice to transfer from Lexington High School to Scotts Hill High School?

Eligibility of students to play high school sports is strictly governed by the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association (TSSAA). A high school athlete transferring to a new high school would not be eligible to continue a sport (for 12 month) unless TSSAA grants the new school an eligibility waiver for the student.

I don't think any of us know all the facts or possibly any in this matter but I would speculate that one of three things happened:

1. Another school or someone with an axe to grind made a complaint to the TSSAA.

2. Parent or guardian gave an incorrect address.

3. TSSAA somehow made a colossal mistake, even for their standards, and declared the student eligible without knowing their own rules. This one just seems unlikely in my opinion seeing as how they could possibly grant Signal Mountain an eligibility waiver. I guess the question for this case would be: Does TSSAA grant waivers in regard to Public School Choice?

Mr. Carmichael never played an out of baseball, he considered it as a senior, but chose to focus on his grades instead.

I was under the impression he played his jr year...my mstake. I did see him play basketball his junior year at Greeneville.

Yes, which is thought to be Howard. However, it could be that his folks still have their place in Georgia. Its now a wait and see from the TSSAA.

Here is the quote from the paper "TSSAA executive director Bernard Childress said that while the player's residency changed from Georgia to Tennessee, he had not moved into Signal Mountain's zone, making him ineligible to participate in athletics at the school."

It clearly says the players residency changed from GA to TN. They are questioning if he moved into the zone. Again nothing has changed since they ruled him to be eligible prior to the season.

I found this on another site:

May my child continue to be on a sports team at the new school if she/he uses Public School Choice to transfer from Lexington High School to Scotts Hill High School?

Eligibility of students to play high school sports is strictly governed by the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association (TSSAA). A high school athlete transferring to a new high school would not be eligible to continue a sport (for 12 month) unless TSSAA grants the new school an eligibility waiver for the student.

I don't think any of us know all the facts or possibly any in this matter but I would speculate that one of three things happened:

1. Another school or someone with an axe to grind made a complaint to the TSSAA.

2. Parent or guardian gave an incorrect address.

3. TSSAA somehow made a colossal mistake, even for their standards, and declared the student eligible without knowing their own rules. This one just seems unlikely in my opinion seeing as how they could possibly grant Signal Mountain an eligibility waiver. I guess the question for this case would be: Does TSSAA grant waivers in regard to Public School Choice?

Again this isn't the same. He changed states it isn't just switching from one school to another because he wanted to.