TSSAA visits Signal Mtn

Rabble Rouser

Wouldn't that position force kids in high priority school zones to choose between academics and athletics?

It is a tricky situation for sure. You don’t want the kids to have to choose between athletics and education, but the TSSAA can’t allow NCLB to become a recruiting tool for some schools either (I’m not implying that is was in this situation, just making a point).

This is the text for Section 13b

I am pretty sure here that the issue is that the new residence isn't inside Signal Mountain's Territory. If it is ruled that Howard is inside SM's territory, there probably will be no issues assuming the move from Georgia included shutting down electric service etc.

The world must be coming to an end, because we finally agree on this. :roflol:

Wouldn't that position force kids in high priority school zones to choose between academics and athletics?

It sounds like you are saying that by going to Signal he chose athletics over academics. :roflol:

On a serious note, life is about choices. What you are saying is that the athletics is more important. If that is the case, he could have chose Howard for academics. The best way to improve a school isn't by drawing away its best academic students. If that is the strategy to fix poorly performing schools, just close them down and revert to busing.

Again this isn't the same. He changed states it isn't just switching from one school to another because he wanted to.

I know he changed states. Which could also present a problem if he was in spring practice there. And the quote I used can illustrate how a student who lives in Howard's zone could possibly go to Signal Mountain. Otherwise how could he go there unless he lives in SM's zone or they have an open zone down there enabling his parent or guardian to pay tuition to go?

Edited by THSVikings2004

What about all the other kids "left behind" at Howard? Are all their good athletes gone on to other schools. Who decides which kids can go and which kids can stay behind? If they have athletic promise are they guaranteed a spot at another school? Is there a lottery for these kids? While saying nothing at all about the SM boy in question, as I certainly do not know him or his family, academic promise should come before athletic criteria. IMO if the kid has not previously established his athletic eligibility at another TN school, he should be deemed eligible and lets move on. Out of zone participation happens regularly in Tennessee, (Alcoa ring a bell ???)

I think that improvements should and must be made schools on the "endangered" list. Don't just ship them to another achool. That doesn't solve the problem. Athletically, I believe that many arguments and accusations would be avoided if kids simply had to go to either the school they are zoned in or to a private school. Magnet schools, open enrollment policies, charter schools, home schooled, etc. only complicate athletic interests but do provide alternative academic options. As public school supporters we have complained at some time or another about alleged recruiting by the privates (MBA, Ensworth, etc.) or public/private, i.e. CPA, Goodpasture, etc. The TSSAA must enforce their rules that the school members participate under, however callous and unfair they may seem. A drill sargent once said I may be hard, but I'm fair. If not, we have a few uniforms left over in the blockhouse that could go to underprivilaged kids that run a 4.4 and bench press 300lbs. We'll send a bus after them too.

Here's a thought, all the "power" schools should just withdraw membership from the TSSAA, create their own "power" conference, create a TV network, recruit the best of the best, and hold their own championships!

It is a tricky situation for sure. You don’t want the kids to have to choose between athletics and education, but the TSSAA can’t allow NCLB to become a recruiting tool for some schools either (I’m not implying that is was in this situation, just making a point).

True, but the T$$AA recruiting rules are distinctly separate from their eligibility rules.

Although NCLB centers around academics, the law does state, 'Once enrolled, a student must be eligible for participation in all aspects of the school, including enrollment in classes and participation in co- or extracurricular activities. Athletic participation of students who transfer under public school choice provisions would comply with the same policies as those in place for any other transfer." So, NCLB recognizes the importance of extracurricular activities and sports, but allows organizations like the T$$AA to develop their own rules.

True, but the T$$AA recruiting rules are distinctly separate from their eligibility rules.

Although NCLB centers around academics, the law does state, 'Once enrolled, a student must be eligible for participation in all aspects of the school, including enrollment in classes and participation in co- or extracurricular activities. Athletic participation of students who transfer under public school choice provisions would comply with the same policies as those in place for any other transfer." So, NCLB recognizes the importance of extracurricular activities and sports, but allows organizations like the T$$AA to develop their own rules.

Thanks for the response. I have learned a few things from this discussion for sure. So based on your post, it is basically up to the TSSAA regarding this matter as long as they follow their own rules. NCLB gives them the freedom to decide, and no one can't interfer with their decision (assuming the TSSAA follows their own guidelines).

Additional info from newschannel9.com:

McClendon has since moved out of the district and started playing for Signal Mountain, but a spokesperson for TSSAA said they recently were contacted by administrators in Hamilton County and told that McClendon might actually live in the Brainerd High School zone, not Signal Mountain.

We're told TSSAA is contacting Signal Mountain administration with its findings today. The high school will have 24 hours to respond.

Edited by THSVikings2004