Maryville vs Farragut

sports19

Upset Possible?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

I was really trying to keep from responding to your obvious ignorance of history, but I can no longer keep to myself.

There is another flag in this country that slavery was practiced under for a lot longer than the Confedrate Battle Flag (and yes.....that's all it is. I don't care what some hate groups have bastardized it into). It just so happens to be the flag that we all stand and put our hands over our hearts and sing the national anthem to before every game. Yep.....the old Stars and Stripes herself. The flag of our beautiful nation. So.....should we stop flying that flag too? It might offend some descendants of some indentured servants of the early settlers..

The young "African American" at the game Friday night did not seem to be too "uncomfortable" waving his Rebel Flag.....hmmmmm

Carl Stewart was an incredible athlete at Maryville High School, and has every God given right to not like the flag, and what he interprets it to mean. That is a right guaranteed to him by our great nation. But, that gives you absolutely NO right to use his name to tell us how the majority feel about it.

Who is Carl Sterwart? Did he play at Maryville back in the 1860's?

I'm not trying to pass a law for you to stop making a fool of yourself on Maryville threads am I . You don't ever agree with me , I live with it somehow , I don't ever want to try and take someone's freedom of speech away , even if I don't agree with them ..... but then shouldn't I have that same right to voice my disagreement ?

This was not a "classy" post. Where is Phakepepvol when you need him?

Where am I telling you what you can or cannot do? I never said ban the flag, nor burn them all. My point is that the confederate flag has had a negative impact on the Maryville Football program, clearly evidenced for one by Carl Stewart, and that it continues to do so (as it will be forever linked with white supremacists, the KKK, neo-nazis & the aryan nation). This isn't a free speech issue, this is a good of the program issue. All the negative rhetoric that has been brought into this thread has been about grand-standers with hurt feelings thinking somebody was trying to take their precious flag. Wake up and realize that your "heritage not hate" bumper sticker doesn't solve the problem. You're not a racist for carrying the flag, but it has a negative impact whether you recognize it or not.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Congrats for having one.

How have I offended you?

This section is ridiculous beyond words. You've completely blown my original comments out of proportion to try to make your point. Who cares about homecoming, pep rally's, noise makers, the band or anything else? That off the field stuff is for the women & children. You say I'm trying to ban everything with new laws - I say you're generating stuff just so you have something to complain about.

Or else what? You going to invite me up to greyrider's seats for a fight?

Obviously, you are the only one on this thread so far that feels offended and embarrassed by the confederate flag. You have your opinion and others have theirs... with the seemingly closeness of the Maryville players over the last several years combined with the amount of championships, I think you are going to have a hard time convincing most that the flag is hurting Maryville football. I hate to call names on here, but since you have already named him, I can't help but wonder why Carl played at Maryville if he was really so bothered by that flag when he played. I mean, they did not just become the "Rebels" in the middle of his high school career. I could get into one long argument as to the fact that you don't really know the facts, but this is neither the time nor the place, so I have made my last comment on the subject.... one thing that I have taken from this thread is that people are tired of backing down and trying to appease every single person that is so fickle that they are offended by everything, and for that I say, "its about freaking time".

And Old Rebel, I don't know who you are, but if I did, I wouldn't treat you any different the next time I saw you, just because we have a difference of opinion on this subject. You don't seem any more willing to budge from your stance than I am willing to budge from mine, so we will just agree to disagree. God bless.

you're the one who said you don't support the Rebels %100 unless you want that flag gone . I'm sorry if I don't agree with you in that I don't think that we should ban everything that everyone is offended by .

Again, I never said I wanted to ban anything. We're arguing two different things on two different levels.

Yes or no: the confederate flag has had a negative impact at least once on the Maryville football program? Set aside your own personal preferences/values/ideals/free speech considerations and answer that.

Again, I never said I wanted to ban anything. We're arguing two different things on two different levels.

Yes or no: the confederate flag has had a negative impact at least once on the Maryville football program? Set aside your own personal preferences/values/ideals/free speech considerations and answer that.

And it has had a positive impact on thousands that are proud to be part of the Maryville Rebel program. That includes the people that are in the band, cheerleaders, and the fans that supports their school. Everyone is important at Maryville including the "women and children" that you don't seem to think very highly of. That is one of the reasons that Maryville program is so successful. At our school everyone is equal its not just about our football program. Its the feeder programs, teachers, coaches, students, the kids that dream of playing on that field one day and a community that supports all of our kids. When we see the Rebel flag we see pride in our school and not anything else. Our children have the right to support their school and as parents we have the responsibility to see that that right is not taken away.

Go Rebels!

Edited by raginrebel

This thread is getting embarrassing, especially since Rebels are turning against Rebels, and our friend Bladerunner is enjoying his usual role of stirring the pot. This old Rebel suggests that it's time to quit posting on this thread and turn our eyes forward to the Wm Blount game. Surely we have some football to discuss.

This thread is getting embarrassing, especially since Rebels are turning against Rebels, and our friend Bladerunner is enjoying his usual role of stirring the pot. This old Rebel suggests that it's time to quit posting on this thread and turn our eyes forward to the Wm Blount game. Surely we have some football to discuss.

I'm not sure how this one is my fault...