Maryville vs Farragut

sports19

Upset Possible?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

Pepvol, I'm not in favor of running any of the coaches off although I can see how my first post may have sounded like I was. In an age of mercenary coaches I respect those who stay around and build programs. Afterall its all about the student athletes, and stability helps them build character.

What I am in favor of is for the coaching staff to realize that Maryville is here to stay in 4-AAA and they will be on the schedule every year, most likely twice a year. Unless they're content with taking a loss each time they meet up they need to evaluate the play calling and the way they coach the team. Farragut laid down in the second half both on the field and on the sideline. Silly penalties were not addressed immediately and Farragut was completely out-played and out-classed by a much better Maryville team. Its very frustrating to watch a team who's coaching staff does not currently give them the tools to compete in the biggest game of the year; especially when the athleticism on each side of the ball matched up quite similarly.

All that said, I admire the Maryville program and their coaches for what they are able to do year in and year out. The players don't jaw with the other team, they hand the ball to the officials after every play, the offense is surgical, and the defense doesn't give up anything without a fight. I'd like to see them travel to Florida to see how they match up with a team like St. Thomas Aquienas or another highly ranked team. I think this team is being slept on by the national media.

Edited by AdmiralGlasgow

...a team like Maryville develops players within the team not the team around a player there for you have al lot of different things that can be done, watching the game Friday night showed this so well, thats the biggest difference in those two programs.

Now, this is an excellent observation! GQ will adapt some plays for a kid's specific talent, but not the whole team. He moves players if he needs to in order to make his system work. I forget the kid he moved from linebacker (Tim Rodrigues, I believe) to running back, just so the running game would run the way his system intended. Brilliant!

Edited by oldhick76

Oldrebel ... not only do you want to tell everyone what they can or cannot do , now you're saying I don't support Maryville %100 unless I believe in everything just like you do .... wow . Funny how you don't have any problem offending me while you're so worried about others being offended . The difference between you and I oldrebel , is that I'm not going to try and force you to agree with my opinion , you on the other hand , want to create a new law on everything that offends you . If you want to look hard enough you can find a lot more things to ban while you're at it ..... geez now we can't even have a Homecoming Queen due to someone being offended .

It also seems a little hypocritical for you to be using oldrebel as your name ... Rebel Flag , Rebels ... I guess that's next for you right ? I won't be %100 supportive of Maryville football unless I agree with banning whatever you come up with next ... right ? I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here oldrebel , but please don't tell me I don't support Maryville football if I don't think just like you , geez that's called freedom buddy , that's why I served my Country in the U.S Marine Corps to where one person couldn't tell you or me what to think , feel or believe ..... or else .

Pepvol, Are you now saying that you are not going to try to force your opinion on other people? Do you read your own posts????

Edited by bladerunner

Oldrebel ... not only do you want to tell everyone what they can or cannot do , now you're saying I don't support Maryville %100 unless I believe in everything just like you do .... wow .

Where am I telling you what you can or cannot do? I never said ban the flag, nor burn them all. My point is that the confederate flag has had a negative impact on the Maryville Football program, clearly evidenced for one by Carl Stewart, and that it continues to do so (as it will be forever linked with white supremacists, the KKK, neo-nazis & the aryan nation). This isn't a free speech issue, this is a good of the program issue. All the negative rhetoric that has been brought into this thread has been about grand-standers with hurt feelings thinking somebody was trying to take their precious flag. Wake up and realize that your "heritage not hate" bumper sticker doesn't solve the problem. You're not a racist for carrying the flag, but it has a negative impact whether you recognize it or not.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Congrats for having one.

Funny how you don't have any problem offending me while you're so worried about others being offended .

How have I offended you?

The difference between you and I oldrebel , is that I'm not going to try and force you to agree with my opinion , you on the other hand , want to create a new law on everything that offends you . If you want to look hard enough you can find a lot more things to ban while you're at it ..... geez now we can't even have a Homecoming Queen due to someone being offended .

This section is ridiculous beyond words. You've completely blown my original comments out of proportion to try to make your point. Who cares about homecoming, pep rally's, noise makers, the band or anything else? That off the field stuff is for the women & children. You say I'm trying to ban everything with new laws - I say you're generating stuff just so you have something to complain about.

It also seems a little hypocritical for you to be using oldrebel as your name ... Rebel Flag , Rebels ... I guess that's next for you right ? I won't be %100 supportive of Maryville football unless I agree with banning whatever you come up with next ... right ? I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here oldrebel , but please don't tell me I don't support Maryville football if I don't think just like you , geez that's called freedom buddy , that's why I served my Country in the U.S Marine Corps to where one person couldn't tell you or me what to think , feel or believe ..... or else .

Or else what? You going to invite me up to greyrider's seats for a fight?

Where am I telling you what you can or cannot do? I never said ban the flag, nor burn them all. My point is that the confederate flag has had a negative impact on the Maryville Football program, clearly evidenced for one by Carl Stewart, and that it continues to do so (as it will be forever linked with white supremacists, the KKK, neo-nazis & the aryan nation). This isn't a free speech issue, this is a good of the program issue. All the negative rhetoric that has been brought into this thread has been about grand-standers with hurt feelings thinking somebody was trying to take their precious flag. Wake up and realize that your "heritage not hate" bumper sticker doesn't solve the problem. You're not a racist for carrying the flag, but it has a negative impact whether you recognize it or not.

I was really trying to keep from responding to your obvious ignorance of history, but I can no longer keep to myself.

There is another flag in this country that slavery was practiced under for a lot longer than the Confedrate Battle Flag (and yes.....that's all it is. I don't care what some hate groups have bastardized it into). It just so happens to be the flag that we all stand and put our hands over our hearts and sing the national anthem to before every game. Yep.....the old Stars and Stripes herself. The flag of our beautiful nation. So.....should we stop flying that flag too? It might offend some descendants of some indentured servants of the early settlers..

The young "African American" at the game Friday night did not seem to be too "uncomfortable" waving his Rebel Flag.....hmmmmm

Carl Stewart was an incredible athlete at Maryville High School, and has every God given right to not like the flag, and what he interprets it to mean. That is a right guaranteed to him by our great nation. But, that gives you absolutely NO right to use his name to tell us how the majority feel about it.

Pepvol, Are you now saying that you are not going to try to force your opinion on other people? Do you read your own posts????

I'm not trying to pass a law for you to stop making a fool of yourself on Maryville threads am I . You don't ever agree with me , I live with it somehow , I don't ever want to try and take someone's freedom of speech away , even if I don't agree with them ..... but then shouldn't I have that same right to voice my disagreement ?

How have I offended you?

This section is ridiculous beyond words. You've completely blown my original comments out of proportion to try to make your point. Who cares about homecoming, pep rally's, noise makers, the band or anything else? That off the field stuff is for the women & children. You say I'm trying to ban everything with new laws - I say you're generating stuff just so you have something to complain about.

Or else what? You going to invite me up to greyrider's seats for a fight?

Oldrebel , a fight .. really ? Geez if someone disagrees with you do you automatically think they're wanting to fight you ? The " or else " was in reference to a govt or dictatorship telling it's citizens they will obey every little law of the land or you will be extremely punished .

As far as you offending me ... yes you offend me when you tell me I don't support the Maryville Rebels if I support the Flag that I saw waving from the field I was on over 30 years ago .... yes , I take great offense to you telling me that . I'm not generating anything , you're the one who said you don't support the Rebels %100 unless you want that flag gone . I'm sorry if I don't agree with you in that I don't think that we should ban everything that everyone is offended by . The majority of people think that there should be Prayer allowed in schools and at our Football stadiums , a few " offended " people have taken that away from us . Every action we take will offend at least one person , where does it stop ? If Carl , or anyone else wants to bring in an anti Rebel flag to our games , I think they should have that right also , having a right to do something that others might not approve of is what FREEDOM is all about .

I'm disappointed that you thought I was mad at you for voicing your opinion , I was only voicing mine which Is different than yours . I respect you as a poster and have always admired your views , just because I disagree with you and voice it , does not mean I want to fight you or disrespect you in any way .