Covington @ Milan

CHARGERFAN

OK, let's get this started. As a Covington fan, I am pleasantly surprised that Coach Wheeler has us at 7-1 overall and 5-0 in the District. Milan has the same record.

I am 100% aware of the Milan football tradition, and we have not had a lot of success against y'all lately. Tell me something about your team and I will give you a rundown on us.

Covington has a powerful rushing attack, operating mostly out of the Wing-T. Offensively, this team reminds me of the 2000 and 2003 squads that played in the state championship game. The difference is that those offenses were pretty much built around one back. What amazes me is that our team lost our best RB (Carlos Williams) to shoulder surgery after game 2, and still had 3 backs go over 100 yards each tonight. We can throw the ball (occasionally) and can score that way at times.

Covington's defense is not a "stop you dead in your tracks" group. We are more of a "bend but don't break, we will turn you over" effort. Basically, we have played defense well enough to win 7 of 8 games, but that is not our calling card.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from what I saw in Troy on Friday night- this Covington vs. Milan matchup should be a 'Slobber Knocker"! The Chargers have multiple backs that run out of the wing T and the guys up front block well in their assignments and Dunn is the type of QB that is not flashy but he doesn't make mistakes to hurt his team. He Ran the offense well and threw 2 TD passes to boot. Milan's Run Defense will be much better than Obion Central's so this game could be played in the 20's and perhaps 24 points or so may be enough to win the game. Should be an excellent contest between the two best teams in the district.

from what I saw in Troy on Friday night- this Covington vs. Milan matchup should be a 'Slobber Knocker"! The Chargers have multiple backs that run out of the wing T and the guys up front block well in their assignments and Dunn is the type of QB that is not flashy but he doesn't make mistakes to hurt his team. He Ran the offense well and threw 2 TD passes to boot. Milan's Run Defense will be much better than Obion Central's so this game could be played in the 20's and perhaps 24 points or so may be enough to win the game. Should be an excellent contest between the two best teams in the district.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I concur..tho Milan is an extremely tough out at Johnny Hale ,I see the Purple and Gold winning this one..no prediction Charger fans ..just win !!

Edited by DHSFB64

OK, will someone who understands this playoff setup please explain to me the effect of the Covington / Milan game on the playoff seedings of each team? Is Covington competing with Milan, or are they in 3A and we are in 4A so on different tracks?

Does a win or a loss for Covington affect our playoff picture, or would a loss be like our non-district loss to Brighton (no effect at all).

Overall team record is the 1st criteria used, so any win or loss will have an affect.

Milan has yet to defend the wing T very well. Ex, Huntingdon. If Milan plans on making a playoff run against any quality opponent, the time to start playing well, is now. So far it has not happened. Milan has some speed. Milan has good recievers and a quality QB. however, there sweems to be no timing between thm what so ever. same crew last year and the passing game was much better. Can't figure that out. The game will be won and lost at the line of scrimmage. many times Milan is getting beat at the point of attack. Pass defense is lacking and when corners get isolated vs the run, sometimes it is not pretty.

Covington is just what Milan needs, another quality test. Playing GC, Ripley, a now much improved Trenton and upcoming Haywood, does nothing to make you improve, except for future years, as you get young players time on the field. Not that that is Milan fault, they must play who they are told, in most cases.

After seeing both teams play, Covington is bigger and faster than Milan. I see Covington winning this by somewhere around 2 TD's. Milan fans, expect a team like Huntingdon, except bigger and faster. Same type of offensive scheme, but with more speed than Huntingdon. I'd like to see Milan win this, but I don't see it happening.

Covington by 28. Milan not as good as usual this year. Covington has ton of seniors , bigger school, larger classification,(been down awhile & due for upswing), and have been getting the lucky bounce. Milan is really not that good this year, haven't really played anyone & have struggled somewhat. Lost to Huntington, which aren't they 2A, typical Milan team handles Huntington by several scores. Will be shocked if by less than 28.

OK, will someone who understands this playoff setup please explain to me the effect of the Covington / Milan game on the playoff seedings of each team? Is Covington competing with Milan, or are they in 3A and we are in 4A so on different tracks?

Does a win or a loss for Covington affect our playoff picture, or would a loss be like our non-district loss to Brighton (no effect at all).

This will have a major effect on the seedings of both teams in the playoffs. The winner of this game will more than likely be the district champ. This will allow the winner to be seeded first in their quad and get a guaranteed home game. The loser will be seeded with the runner ups in their quad. There is a chance Milan could fall to a wild card, if they lose and Obion Co. wins out. So this game has a lot of implications for both teams.

Milan by 7

After seeing both teams play, Covington is bigger and faster than Milan. I see Covington winning this by somewhere around 2 TD's. Milan fans, expect a team like Huntingdon, except bigger and faster. Same type of offensive scheme, but with more speed than Huntingdon. I'd like to see Milan win this, but I don't see it happening.

I will take your word for it. The Chargers are bigger and faster than the Mustangs. Oh me me i hope Coach Morris don't read this post. Good luck to both teams!

I will take your word for it. The Chargers are bigger and faster than the Mustangs. Oh me me i hope Coach Morris don't read this post. Good luck to both teams!

Why does 3A Milan have to beat all the 4A schools in their district to be 3A district champs??...doesn't make sense....and Covington fans....Morris is a master at defending the wing T...yea they had a slip vs Huntingdon...but Huntingdon runs a different version and will be state champs unless they screw up..unapproved website predits Milan....and they've been spot on all year...

Edited by cofo