Coaches Favor Old Playoff System

Hoganknows

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20111027/SPORTS07/310270047/High-school-football-coaches-prefer-old-playoff-system?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Heck yes ...go back to the old system or just throw the present playoff system out the window :popcorneater:

Of course, what would be ideal, is: Keep the 3 Division 1 classifications for the playoffs (rather than dividing them up) and the top 2 from each district make the playoffs. Again, not even remotely mentioned as an option in the article, because as it points out the TSSAA makes more money with more playoff classifications/games. However, THAT is still the simplest to understand, generates the greatest competition, and keeps the nice district setup that is in place currently. Still one of my sports related pipe dreams though I'm afraid, along with NCAA Division 1-A football playoffs (32 team bracket) and a MLB-quality minor league system for the NFL and NBA.

Edited by BurroBall

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20111027/SPORTS07/310270047/High-school-football-coaches-prefer-old-playoff-system?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Heck yes ...go back to the old system or just throw the present playoff system out the window :popcorneater:

6 classifications = more money for the t$$aa, and then they go up on the price of playoff games and the championship game last year the tssaa isnt gonna go back they arent gonna lose money, my question is what are they doing with this extra money from the playoffs are they putting a deposit to play championship games at lp field like most states who have nfl stadiums and makes more since to have the championship games in middle tn for teams traveling from west tn and east tn butt....... they cant do that they have a deal with cookeville for what else more money but remember the tssaa is all about whats best for the kids

now this 6 classification has killed teams where i live "rutherford county" in reguards of schduling, went from having 8 teams in region to 6 teams in a district that means they have to find 5 non district games to play it was hard enough to find 3 non district games to play but 5 thats half the games and teams arent wanting to schdule them because other teams are wanting to schdule wins and to go with it the teams that will play rutherford county teams are a good distance away, riverdale had to play in ky this year next year they travel to west tn to play brighton along with smyrna who has to go to olive branch miss, blackman who makes 2 trips to the chattanogga area to play bradley central and signal mountain, oakland has to travel to arlington, siegal has to travel to ooltewah, lavergne to knoxville for cak

Edited by oldschooldawg30

I don't see the tssaa going back to 5 classes because they would be losing $$$$ droping 6A. Plus this is misleading yes the coach's don't like the playoff system but I bet if you ask the same coach's about the regular season I bet they would wanna keep the current formant because of less travel. Everyone just going have to get use to this it's not going change they don't care how much everyone fuss it not going change

I don't see the tssaa going back to 5 classes because they would be losing $$$$ droping 6A. Plus this is misleading yes the coach's don't like the playoff system but I bet if you ask the same coach's about the regular season I bet they would wanna keep the current formant because of less travel. Everyone just going have to get use to this it's not going change they don't care how much everyone fuss it not going change

Less travel? For its season opener, Oakland AND Riverdale have to travel to West Tennessee. Under the old format, you didnt have alot of people ducking teams because there was many more league matchups. Region 4-5A for instance had 7 league games and 3 non-league. The last few seasons have made it almost impossible for us to find teams willing to play, and the ones that do either make for a nightmare schedule (ala Smyrna) or require teams to play long distances.

I would recommend to every fan who is displeased with the current system, take it up with the school's administration. TSSAA's council is made up of all member schools and with a unified front among the fans and coaches, they will either need to make changes to the system or risk schools being tempted to create their own system

Regular season is a nightmare to schedule now for a 5 team district. We had to get 5 non-district games and believe me NO ONE came running to fill those five spots. We end up with BGA, Olive Branch, Brentwood, Franklin, and Ravenwood. I know the T$$AA set it up for Rutherford and Williamson to only have 5 teams in district on purpose so we could play each other out of district but it took a long time to get some of those teams to agree to play. They are out looking for wins and don't want to play either.

ummm i havent heard any coachs here in rutherford county in favor for what we have now, they just say the schdule is what it is which everybody here consistantly plays teams out of district in the top 10 because other teams coachs wanna schdule wins so we play the teams from other districts nobody else wants to play or the private schools along with williamson county teams "thanks coach crawford who consistantly schdules 2 or 3 from rutherford cty each year" and less travel now jet did you read my post about schools in this district and travel? if we arent traveling to the memphis area chatt or knoxville we are traveling out of state

does anybody know when the new stewarts creek high school will open?

Edited by oldschooldawg30

Less travel? Heck this system requires more travel and has been a failure from day one. Just look at good teams like Smyrna and Brentwood for an example..... the schedules they have to play might keep them out of the playoffs. The 6 classifications has been great for some communities like Columbia and Hendersonville that were on the lower part of the old 5 classifications. I'm sure they will not vote to go back to 5 classifications, heck I would not either if I coached at those schools.

This part about the playoffs based on wins and loses has got to change...what was wrong with top 4 in each Region going to the playoffs...simple and everybody knew what they need to do to make the playoffs each year and scheduling was a breeze. Simple plan with simple rules....I guess Hogan is just "Old School"....this Z Plan has never made any sense.

And Travel in the playoffs...heck it's fun and you get to see new teams and how football is played all over the state.

ummm i havent heard any coachs here in rutherford county in favor for what we have now, they just say the schdule is what it is which everybody here consistantly plays teams out of district in the top 10 because other teams coachs wanna schdule wins so we play the teams from other districts nobody else wants to play or the private schools along with williamson county teams "thanks coach crawford who consistantly schdules 2 or 3 from rutherford cty each year" and less travel now jet did you read my post about schools in this district and travel? if we arent traveling to the memphis area chatt or knoxville we are traveling out of state

does anybody know when the new stewarts creek high school will open?

My Daughter goes to the Stewarts creek elem. School right now and everyday i see them working hard on this high school. It doesn't open till 2013 school year