Greeneville vs Carter Hornets

BVDevil

Be respectful to the game and the young men on the other team. That's what any good sportsman should want.

The truth is, Greeneville did not run up the score on Carter or anyone this season. Greeneville plays hard every down, regardless if it is first string or the third string. That is what you are supposed to do! You wouldn’t want to teach your players any other way of playing. The coaches put their subs in early (Greeneville wasn’t even using their first string kicker late in the game) and ran the ball almost every down. They gave Carter every chance to stop them. That is all you can ask a coach to do, the rest has to be determined on the field.

Just because Greeneville didn’t take a knee on every play or intentionally fall down while carrying the ball doesn’t mean they were trying to run up the score. If the third string scores on a simple running play, then can you really blame that on the coach? Think about that for a minute and quit focusing solely on the score. The score doesn't tell the whole story.

It is amazing that the people who didn’t see the game are the ones who have a problem with it.

Edited by GvilleDevilsFan

You can't possibly score 77 points without trying to run it up. Keep in mind that the clock is continuous past 35.

were you at the game tonight? It was 35-0 at the end of 1. GHS threw 3 passes the entire game and Ballard started using subs halfway thru the second QUARTER! We got our 70th point on the first series of the second half, with our 3rd string rb in the game...the final score came when our backup qb broke off big run....should have slid at the goal line...NO....crap man, greeneville even used their backup kicker tonight....i would have said put the cheerleaders in, but they could have scored on Carter...they were terrible..sorry, that's the deal and if people dont like it, go watch freakin golf....i get so sick of this "running up the score crap"....oh, how do you explain the carter cheap shots in the first 5 minutes of the game?? NEWSFLASH FOLKS...intimidation DOES NOT WORK on Greeneville......NEXT!!!! ( these idiot posters are starting to make want greeneville to show some of these teams what they're capable of with their starters...

How about the first games of the season like a classic game? Play a team that can play with you I would honestly get bored as a player playing horrible teams...that game last year in the state game that team deserved to be spanked but they sucked lmao Im not taking anything away from them but I want to see them play against another great ball club that's all im saying

first of all, no one will play greeneville ( that's not trash talk, that's fact, that's why we had to travel nearly 5 hours to play a 6a school this season) we play who we must and who will play us. Alcoa has the same problem, no one will play them..that's why they played one another this year and will play again next. I promise you, Ballard would play Tusculum if it were possible. Making a HS schedule isnt as simple as just picking who you want to play, then scheduling it. What more can a team do than play their schedule, then pick them off week by week in the playoffs. We have no control over who we face their either, so how bout this. We'll just keep playing the next team on the docket, and let the chips fall where they may. If we win another Gold ball...FANTASTIC..if we dont..then all the haters will have their parties.

From what I heard about the Maryville/Science Hill game tonight, Maryville basically ran the clock out to keep from scoring before halftime. Just sayin....

(I don't usually post on other schools' threads, but this one caught my attention.)

Instead of questioning how Greeneville won by 70 points, why not question how Carter gave up 77 points. They were a #4 seed for crying out loud. They weren't supposed to play like "The Little Sisters of the Poor". Scott County played better defense. That Carter team did not seem to be prepared and their coach made some very poor decisions. Greeneville had second string sophomore RB and QB put up over half of Greeneville's 519 yds of offense. Carter's stat's tell the whole story...passing 10/21 for 63 yds and 4 ints; rushing yds 40(on as many attempts); punt average 4/6.3 yds. Total yds - 103.They were just plain absent in this one...except for starting a fight that got 2 players ejected.

Greeneville is the most physical high school team that you will play all season. Most teams can't handle that and it shows when the other teams start gettin chippy and wantin to fight.. Their o and d line controls the game and dominates with the physicality!!

Agree completely. Good luck next 3 weeks.

77 points is too many for any coach to score. It's hard to believe that a team is soooo good they can't help but score 77. Wow, that's really impressive. A couple of more td's could have got them to 91. That might have put somebody in the record books.

Was there not anybody on that team that the coach could hand the ball to to keep it under 60? Are all the players that good? :roll:

We should all try to remember the sportsmanship we were taught when we were 10 years old.

Let me first say that I am not a Greeneville fan. Now, the coach didn't score any points, the players did (O, D, ST, 1st, 2nd, 3rd string). I have seen Greeneville enough the past few years to know that this coaching staff could run up the score against all the teams in their conference but chooses not to. Yes, 62 points in one half is a ridiculously huge amount, but I have never seen a team take 3 knees and punt in the 1st half. They are good-period! They have only been tied once in a conference game this year and that was 7-7 at WG (game turned out lopsided). If they have starters on the field up 40 then you have a case, but they didn't so just be quiet!

first of all, no one will play greeneville ( that's not trash talk, that's fact, that's why we had to travel nearly 5 hours to play a 6a school this season) we play who we must and who will play us. Alcoa has the same problem, no one will play them..that's why they played one another this year and will play again next. I promise you, Ballard would play Tusculum if it were possible. Making a HS schedule isnt as simple as just picking who you want to play, then scheduling it. What more can a team do than play their schedule, then pick them off week by week in the playoffs. We have no control over who we face their either, so how bout this. We'll just keep playing the next team on the docket, and let the chips fall where they may. If we win another Gold ball...FANTASTIC..if we dont..then all the haters will have their parties.

They do have a hard time scheduling, but I wouldn't say "no one". Science Hill coach used to be at S South when they had battles with Greeneville, he will probably keep them. M West will probably keep them. I am positive Maryville would play them and Alcoa would probably keep them. There is 4 games, and might I add an unbelievable looking non-conference schedule.

They do have a hard time scheduling, but I wouldn't say "no one". Science Hill coach used to be at S South when they had battles with Greeneville, he will probably keep them. M West will probably keep them. I am positive Maryville would play them and Alcoa would probably keep them. There is 4 games, and might I add an unbelievable looking non-conference schedule.

Until TSSAA puts more emphasis on strength of schedule in addition to wins/losses Greeneville/Alcoa/Maryville will continue to have scheduling diffculties. I cannot, given their history, see Greeneville EVER scheduling Maryville for anyting but a scrimmage. They would be better off looking out of state to VA,NC,SC or KY. There are some very good teams in all that are closer than Franklin County and better competition.

Edited by barb

Instead of questioning how Greeneville won by 70 points, why not question how Carter gave up 77 points. They were a #4 seed for crying out loud. They weren't supposed to play like "The Little Sisters of the Poor". Scott County played better defense. That Carter team did not seem to be prepared and their coach made some very poor decisions. Greeneville had second string sophomore RB and QB put up over half of Greeneville's 519 yds of offense. Carter's stat's tell the whole story...passing 10/21 for 63 yds and 4 ints; rushing yds 40(on as many attempts); punt average 4/6.3 yds. Total yds - 103.They were just plain absent in this one...except for starting a fight that got 2 players ejected.

Evidently, Maryville held off from scoring to show some mercy to Science Hill. If Greeneville chooses not to do this, that's completely between them and their opponent. But I guess Maryville showed that it can be done...I mean not running the score up can be done and you can still look like and be a chamption...in case you didn't understand what I was saying...

Until TSSAA puts more emphasis on strength of schedule in addition to wins/losses Greeneville/Alcoa/Maryville will continue to have scheduling diffculties. I cannot, given their history, see Greeneville EVER scheduling Maryville for anyting but a scrimmage. They would be better off looking out of state to VA,NC,SC or KY. There are some very good teams in all that are closer than Franklin County and better competition.

Maryville would be a great game to schedule. Greeneville knows they will not lose a conference game. So, they are going to finish 1st and have a 1 or 2 seed in playoffs. Think about the atmosphere and gate that a game like this would bring. What does Greeneville have to lose playing them? I do agree with you about the TSSAA playoff system. As long as overall record is so important it will be hard for some teams to schedule.

Edited by gcfball