Greeneville vs Carter Hornets

BVDevil

Evidently, Maryville held off from scoring to show some mercy to Science Hill. If Greeneville chooses not to do this, that's completely between them and their opponent. But I guess Maryville showed that it can be done...I mean not running the score up can be done and you can still look like and be a chamption...in case you didn't understand what I was saying...

In all fairness, Greeneville's D did most of the work against Carter. So using your logic, do you tell Jefferson not to intercept a pass that hits you in the hands or Shuff not to block a punt that happens to hit him? Tell your 2 big Mr Football nominees to let Carter blow them off the line? Do you tell your offense to make sure it takes more than 1 offensive play to score. How about this...Stewart takes a snap, avoids the tackle and runs 40 yards to the Carter 20 and takes a knee? Would that make you happy? After spending all week preparing these kids for what was believed to be the toughest 4A challenge the Devils faced to date, is Ballard supposed to tell them not to execute? At what point of this one do you call off the dogs? After the first Carter TO that resulted in the second Greeneville TD or the first blocked punt that resulted in the 3rd Devil score. Maybe we should have just stopped all offense after the starters came out halfway through the second quarter. Maybe you would prefer we punted on first down. Tell me just how your Black Knights would have approached the situation...wait, they haven't been in that situation have they? I mean calling off the dogs at CD consists of pulling Montgomery.

Maryville would be a great game to schedule. Greeneville knows they will not lose a conference game. So, they are going to finish 1st and have a 1 or 2 seed in playoffs. Think about the atmosphere and gate that a game like this would bring. What does Greeneville have to lose playing them? I do agree with you about the TSSAA playoff system. As long as overall record is so important it will be hard for some teams to schedule.

I don't have to imagine how great the atmosphere and gate for a Maryville game would be...we have been there, done that and had our butts royally spanked. Greeneville is 0 for 7 with a tie in 1950 all time against Maryville and with the emphasis TSSAA places on overall record, I cannot see inviting that kind of disaster that could have serious repercussions when seeding comes around. I'm sure we prefer the home-field advantage. Scheduling SH, MW, and Alcoa was risky enough without adding a statistically certain loss to Maryville.

I don't have to imagine how great the atmosphere and gate for a Maryville game would be...we have been there, done that and had our butts royally spanked. Greeneville is 0 for 7 with a tie in 1950 all time against Maryville and with the emphasis TSSAA places on overall record, I cannot see inviting that kind of disaster that could have serious repercussions when seeding comes around. I'm sure we prefer the home-field advantage. Scheduling SH, MW, and Alcoa was risky enough without adding a statistically certain loss to Maryville.

That is great logic and also why the county schools schedule the schools they do. However, when county schools do that and one of their players have a good year, it is "because of who they play".

In all fairness, Greeneville's D did most of the work against Carter. So using your logic, do you tell Jefferson not to intercept a pass that hits you in the hands or Shuff not to block a punt that happens to hit him? Tell your 2 big Mr Football nominees to let Carter blow them off the line? Do you tell your offense to make sure it takes more than 1 offensive play to score. How about this...Stewart takes a snap, avoids the tackle and runs 40 yards to the Carter 20 and takes a knee? Would that make you happy? After spending all week preparing these kids for what was believed to be the toughest 4A challenge the Devils faced to date, is Ballard supposed to tell them not to execute? At what point of this one do you call off the dogs? After the first Carter TO that resulted in the second Greeneville TD or the first blocked punt that resulted in the 3rd Devil score. Maybe we should have just stopped all offense after the starters came out halfway through the second quarter. Maybe you would prefer we punted on first down. Tell me just how your Black Knights would have approached the situation...wait, they haven't been in that situation have they? I mean calling off the dogs at CD consists of pulling Montgomery.

Actually, CD did blow out Unaka and they pulled their starters before halftime and didn't put them back in. You still don't understand my point, so I'm giving up. Again, like I've always heard...never argue with a fool!

Actually, CD did blow out Unaka and they pulled their starters before halftime and didn't put them back in. You still don't understand my point, so I'm giving up. Again, like I've always heard...never argue with a fool!

So your saying what CD did against Unaka and what GHS did against Carter are not the same? They both where blowouts and both teams starters were pulled before half....you think Coach Murphey was telling his 2nd and 3rd string kids to try and not score? Your the one contridicting yourself and sounding like a fool :thumb:

They do have a hard time scheduling, but I wouldn't say "no one". Science Hill coach used to be at S South when they had battles with Greeneville, he will probably keep them. M West will probably keep them. I am positive Maryville would play them and Alcoa would probably keep them. There is 4 games, and might I add an unbelievable looking non-conference schedule.

i was basing my "no one would play them" comment on what the coaches have said was a very tough time finding teams that would play them. maybe " no one " was a bit strong, but my basic point was that it's very hard to get teams to come to Greeneville if for no other reason, scheduling conflicts. it's all hearsay i suppose. I would love to see how we stack up now in the old IMAC

i was basing my "no one would play them" comment on what the coaches have said was a very tough time finding teams that would play them. maybe " no one " was a bit strong, but my basic point was that it's very hard to get teams to come to Greeneville if for no other reason, scheduling conflicts. it's all hearsay i suppose. I would love to see how we stack up now in the old IMAC

I understand what you mean. As far as playing in the IMAC, I think your boys would do just fine!

You don't have a point...You are comparing Maryville/ Science Hill to Greeneville/Carter. That's not even apples and oranges.Its apples and...onions. Maryville has enough depth at all positons to sub third string.They are probably 4 deep at some positions. Greeneville has seconds and thirds with almost as much playing time as some of their first string. Heck most of those boys would be starters at Carter. Ok we'll play it your way...if Greeneville takes a knee on it's last possession of the first half, they only take a 56-0 halftime lead into the locker room. I'm sure that would made everybody so much happier...of course there would have still been like 6 minutes left in the second quarter.What would you suggest the second string offense to do with that much time? Run around in circles? Fulton Falcons are coming to town next week and they expect 100% out of the Devils. As a Greeneville fan, I expect Ballard have them ready to give it and you don't get ready standing on the sidelines.

So your saying what CD did against Unaka and what GHS did against Carter are not the same? They both where blowouts and both teams starters were pulled before half....you think Coach Murphey was telling his 2nd and 3rd string kids to try and not score? Your the one contridicting yourself and sounding like a fool :thumb:

Again, what Maryville did against Science Hill was run out the clock instead of scoring more points. What CD did against Unaka was not even what I was referring to. That, as in many high school games, is simply one team being way better than the other...obviously like GHS is against many teams they play. Another G'ville supporter brought up the fact that CD never beats anybody in a lopsided score, when actually they did against Unaka. Anyway, you don't understand so it's a moot point to say anything else. I wasn't at the GHS game last night, but I heard about blocked punts, interceptions, etc., and assumed GHS was still playing with full gusto. Maybe I was wrong and they weren't laying it on their opponent...who knows????

Again, what Maryville did against Science Hill was run out the clock instead of scoring more points. What CD did against Unaka was not even what I was referring to. That, as in many high school games, is simply one team being way better than the other...obviously like GHS is against many teams they play. Another G'ville supporter brought up the fact that CD never beats anybody in a lopsided score, when actually they did against Unaka. Anyway, you don't understand so it's a moot point to say anything else. I wasn't at the GHS game last night, but I heard about blocked punts, interceptions, etc., and assumed GHS was still playing with full gusto. Maybe I was wrong and they weren't laying it on their opponent...who knows????

"full gusto"? What the heck does that mean? I'm pretty sure all the boys are expected to "lay it on their opponent" whether they are first string or mop up.I grew up with a high school coach and I remember my daddy telling a young DB who once got up the nerve to challenge him about playing time "if you want to start, start playing like first string defense whenever your out there". If Ballard puts a back-up in and he performs like a back-up, he ain't ever gonna start.

"full gusto"? What the heck does that mean? I'm pretty sure all the boys are expected to "lay it on their opponent" whether they are first string or mop up.I grew up with a high school coach and I remember my daddy telling a young DB who once got up the nerve to challenge him about playing time "if you want to start, start playing like first string defense whenever your out there". If Ballard puts a back-up in and he performs like a back-up, he ain't ever gonna start.

Perhaps what Maryville did is unique to their team then??? I think "full gusto" means that you're still attemtping to score and keep your opponent from scoring at full speed. Evidently Maryville has figured out a way to not keep humiliating their opponent while still building future players; at least last night against Science Hill they did....

Perhaps what Maryville did is unique to their team then??? I think "full gusto" means that you're still attemtping to score and keep your opponent from scoring at full speed. Evidently Maryville has figured out a way to not keep humiliating their opponent while still building future players; at least last night against Science Hill they did....

What make Maryville different is that they play better competetion so when they put there 2nd and 3rd string in against anothers teams and run a simple dive play it doesn't go for a TD like the back ups for GHS were doing against Carter. Science Hill would beat Carter by 50! The INTs and Punt Blocks came with in the first 18 min of the game so no Greeneville wasn't in "full gusto" like you want to put it....I wouldn't make comments if you don't know the whole story and weren't at the game :thumb:

P.S. Here is snap shot of the game and you will see that are Back up RB rushed for over 200 yards