EK Slaughter out at Cleveland

Here's a couple of names that may be a good fit for Cleveland.

Cain Ballard at Greeneville. Greenevillis is 10-1. Their lone loss was 14-10 at Morristown West. They beat Alcoa 42-14. They won their first round playoff game 42-8 over Scott County. Greeneville is a well coached team. I don't know if he's interested in leaving Greeneville, but I would make him say no if I was Cleveland.

Also, What about Mike Zeller at Lenoir City? They went winless the two years prior to him going there. They have been to the playoffs the last two years. Their record is a little misleading. They are 6-5, but they play in Maryville's district. They did beat Knox Catholic and Farragut, but they got hammered by Maryville. But then again...Everyone got hammered this year by Maryville. He supposedly is a tough coach, but is a good one that cares about the kids.

Cleveland High has a lot to offer, so I hope that Cleveland doesn't limit their potential coaching pool to the this area or state. If Rankin was that interested in it last time, then he knew that it was a potentially great job. Just My opinion.

if Cleveland really wants a coach who can get the Raiders to the elite, they need a guy who knows how to win, one who can motivate, makes kids better, and one who would be a step up.... their first call should be to Coach Jackson at Brainerd, what he has done this year with that group is amazing, he won a state championship as a player in georgia, and it would be a step up! What a great hire he would be, but Cleveland will probably bring some old name in that will do the same old thing and go 6-4 :roll:

Cain Ballard at Greeneville. Greenevillis is 10-1. Their lone loss was 14-10 at Morristown West. They beat Alcoa 42-14. They won their first round playoff game 42-8 over Scott County. Greeneville is a well coached team. I don't know if he's interested in leaving Greeneville, but I would make him say no if I was Cleveland.

Also, What about Mike Zeller at Lenoir City? They went winless the two years prior to him going there. They have been to the playoffs the last two years. Their record is a little misleading. They are 6-5, but they play in Maryville's district. They did beat Knox Catholic and Farragut, but they got hammered by Maryville. But then again...Everyone got hammered this year by Maryville. He supposedly is a tough coach, but is a good one that cares about the kids.

Cleveland High has a lot to offer, so I hope that Cleveland doesn't limit their potential coaching pool to the this area or state. If Rankin was that interested in it last time, then he knew that it was a potentially great job. Just My opinion.

Right now Cleveland is loaded with atheletes but with the addition of 2 new large employers and alot of jobs the city will be forced to build a second high school, depending on where it is built( most likely the south end ) and the size it could possibly draw some students from them. In 10 yrs our area could possibly explode and by that I mean parts of McMinn, Meigs and Polk as well. The economy will tell the tale.

Right now Cleveland is loaded with atheletes but with the addition of 2 new large employers and alot of jobs the city will be forced to build a second high school, depending on where it is built( most likely the south end ) and the size it could possibly draw some students from them. In 10 yrs our area could possibly explode and by that I mean parts of McMinn, Meigs and Polk as well. The economy will tell the tale.

The city of Cleveland is growing at a very quick rate.

I'm sure he'd take the Cleveland job after he passed up Rhea Co last spring.

:roflol:

He'd be crazy to leave Greeneville. Facilities are top notch and money isn't an issue for anything he wants.

Right now Cleveland is loaded with atheletes but with the addition of 2 new large employers and alot of jobs the city will be forced to build a second high school...

Bradley County will build a third high school and middle school before the City of Cleveland will even consider a 2nd high school. While things are growing, the residential growth is in the county, not the city. Even with substantial future annexation looming in the horizon, there is still lots of room at the high school (to absorb future growth).

Mike Martin? Really? As in East Ridge Mike Martin?

Really, Cleveland needs someone with a proven record of performance and ability to coach-up a team. Several area/regional guys come to mind...Martin wouldn't be near that list.

Coaches are often hired based on records. Dooley kinda breaks that trend. Look at todays college coaches and ask yourselves what is really the stamp that most winning teams have? Usually (with exceptions Les Miles and Steve Spurrier) a respectable hard nose coach is a winning coach at the college level. The team takes on the personality of the coach and the program in time will follow suite (example Bear Bryant, Nick Saban), the same goes for high school. If you hire a stand-up disciplined coach and stick with them (example QUARLES, RANKIN), then your team and program will take on that personality of the coach and success will in time come around. Unlike college, high school coaches can not recruit they are dealt the cards they have and very few coaches are lucky to get in a situation where they can be successful year in and year out regardless of their abilities as coaches the talent pool may not be there year after year. Rankin and Quarles have 2 things in common a enormous pool of talent and they are respectable coaches who instills discipline. Neither coach runs a complex scheme they just stick to the basics and coaches their kids to be fundamentally sound. When I talked to Rankin he was at Riverdale and there was 2 areas in the state he was interested in leaving for and that was 1) Cleveland and 2)Blount County in order. Why? Because he knew both areas were loaded in talent and had high opportunities for success. Who can compare records of coaches? If a coach is 7-3 in Polks district does that mean he is better than the coach that is 5-5 in Cleveland's district? You have to look at teams a coach has played against and the talent that coach has to work with. I think Davis has a small pool for talent and has made his out of district schedule as tuff as possible and his teams and program has taken on his character, you know what your gonna get when you play Polk. Same goes for Mike Martin he has made a huge impression in the Chatt. area. He is a very well respected coach in the toughest district (athletes wise) in Chatt. Of all the teams in that district East Ridge has the least amount of athletes, but his teams compete in every game and usually make the playoffs. East Ridge was the WV of that district until he arrived and brought some discipline and respect to that program. BLITZ I totally agree with you about the fit at Cleveland because I dont think he would let the boosters or adm. run his program and the same goes for Davis they would probably not have a good marriage if people was trying to stick there noses into their football team. However I think Martin is a very good x and o guy. When he was at Meigs I did not see as much of it, but what I have seen with his x and o at East Ridge given more athletes I have been impressed with him. He runs multiple sets and gives his team a chance against teams he shouldn't be able to compete against. Last year he gave Greenville their 2nd best game of the year I believe with 1/2 the talent. Either way Cleveland needs to find a face for the program like they had with Monroe regardless of records I think Davis and Martin are the 2 in East Tennessee that given the opportunity will instill discipline and respect back to this program.

Coaches are often hired based on records. Dooley kinda breaks that trend. Look at todays college coaches and ask yourselves what is really the stamp that most winning teams have? Usually (with exceptions Les Miles and Steve Spurrier) a respectable hard nose coach is a winning coach at the college level. The team takes on the personality of the coach and the program in time will follow suite (example Bear Bryant, Nick Saban), the same goes for high school. If you hire a stand-up disciplined coach and stick with them (example QUARLES, RANKIN), then your team and program will take on that personality of the coach and success will in time come around. Unlike college, high school coaches can not recruit they are dealt the cards they have and very few coaches are lucky to get in a situation where they can be successful year in and year out regardless of their abilities as coaches the talent pool may not be there year after year. Rankin and Quarles have 2 things in common a enormous pool of talent and they are respectable coaches who instills discipline. Neither coach runs a complex scheme they just stick to the basics and coaches their kids to be fundamentally sound. When I talked to Rankin he was at Riverdale and there was 2 areas in the state he was interested in leaving for and that was 1) Cleveland and 2)Blount County in order. Why? Because he knew both areas were loaded in talent and had high opportunities for success. Who can compare records of coaches? If a coach is 7-3 in Polks district does that mean he is better than the coach that is 5-5 in Cleveland's district? You have to look at teams a coach has played against and the talent that coach has to work with. I think Davis has a small pool for talent and has made his out of district schedule as tuff as possible and his teams and program has taken on his character, you know what your gonna get when you play Polk. Same goes for Mike Martin he has made a huge impression in the Chatt. area. He is a very well respected coach in the toughest district (athletes wise) in Chatt. Of all the teams in that district East Ridge has the least amount of athletes, but his teams compete in every game and usually make the playoffs. East Ridge was the WV of that district until he arrived and brought some discipline and respect to that program. BLITZ I totally agree with you about the fit at Cleveland because I dont think he would let the boosters or adm. run his program and the same goes for Davis they would probably not have a good marriage if people was trying to stick there noses into their football team. However I think Martin is a very good x and o guy. When he was at Meigs I did not see as much of it, but what I have seen with his x and o at East Ridge given more athletes I have been impressed with him. He runs multiple sets and gives his team a chance against teams he shouldn't be able to compete against. Last year he gave Greenville their 2nd best game of the year I believe with 1/2 the talent. Either way Cleveland needs to find a face for the program like they had with Monroe regardless of records I think Davis and Martin are the 2 in East Tennessee that given the opportunity will instill discipline and respect back to this program.

Jus take the Ol Ball coach at Polk off the list. I believe after the terrible years of coach Walker the administration would do everything in their power to keep him. That whole davis family lives Polk atheletics. His dad being a former head FB coach and his uncle coached the girls BB

For like thirty years. They leave him alone let him run the program and never second guess a decision.

Why don't cleveland look to Grider at SP. Honestly he would be my first choice with all of his accomplishments. Then next I would Look at maybe trying to lure a Mullinax or even possible a darkhorse could be Brandon Fields he was a star at Cleveland, played college at Tn Tech, and semi pro with Chicago Rush, also is an assistant at Ooltewah. He could def relate to the young kids and could get LOTS of backing from the community... thoughts?