How they do it in Georgia

uncfan13

Several years ago the speaker of the Georgia House, Tom Murphy, got his nose out of joint because his great niece's debate team kept losing to a private school. I think it was St. Pius or Marist but doesn't matter. Debate is a sanctioned competition in Georgia.

Tom Murphy then got the legislature involved in GA high school athletics. The attendance of all private schools is now counted at 150% of actual for purposes of athletic classification.

This legislative solution seems to have had the desired effect of handicapping private schools' atletic programs and increasing the number of public schools which win state championships. I believe this is the goal of the Board of Control.

Several questions come to mind. Does't the Georgia Legislature and an 80 year old politician have better things to do than get involved with kids's games? Does this kind of sound like one private school kid is worth one and a half public school kid? Didn't they do something like this right before the civil war, i.e. one slave is worth 3/5 of a freeman?

Anyway, that's how GA solved the problem. After the budget problem this year, our legislature would love to take on something easy like the public/private split!

That way you arent segregating the kids and it would cut down the number of championships won by privates. I am personally all for a multiplier instead of this two league crap, but i think alot of the public schools are resentful of the privates so it might not happen since they have the largest voice.

Posted by uncfan13:

The attendance of all private schools is now counted at 150% of actual for purposes of athletic classification. ...

This legislative solution seems to have had the desired effect of handicapping private schools' atletic programs and increasing the number of public schools which win state championships. I believe this is the goal of the Board of Control.

This is not handicapping private schools -- it is being fair to the public schools.

The 150% enrollment counted for private schools is actaully quite low -- it should be higher.

The multiplier is put in to equalize private and public schools in athletics. The reasoning is that private schools have a far greater athletic participation rate than public schools (reasons for which are many). Private schools generally have 55-70% of students that participate in athletics, the public school participation is 20-25%.

If you have 300 students enrolled in a private school you have a around 150 involved in athletics. In a same size public school you have generally have around 75. In this case if a multiplier of 2 was used then a private school of 300 would be competing against public schools of 600 -- end result is same number of athletic participation.

Multiplier makes sense.

I think the multiplier is by far the best thing.If we had 500 students,we could compete with any of them. I have nothing against private schools.Thet just have a few advantages that I think the multiplier would cure.As chakra has said many times,the system is the problem,but the system is only going to get worse.The public school teachers have their hands tied and can only teach and coach the kids who want it. If we as parents don't do our part,no one else can. Private schools are not perfect,but when it comes to teaching and coaching,they have a large advantage.

Posted by uncfan13:

Several years ago the speaker of the Georgia House, Tom Murphy, got his nose out of joint because his great niece's debate team kept losing to a private school. I think it was St. Pius or Marist but doesn't matter. Debate is a sanctioned competition in Georgia.

Tom Murphy then got the legislature involved in GA high school athletics. The attendance of all private schools is now counted at 150% of actual for purposes of athletic classification.

Several questions come to mind. Does't the Georgia Legislature and an 80 year old politician have better things to do than get involved with kids's games? Does this kind of sound like one private school kid is worth one and a half public school kid? Didn't they do something like this right before the civil war, i.e. one slave is worth 3/5 of a freeman?

Anyway, that's how GA solved the problem. After the budget problem this year, our legislature would love to take on something easy like the public/private split!

That's not the only way they do it in georgia. they do have a multiplier, but there are also two leagues, the ghssa and the gisa. the gisa is a small private school league.

I have to call you on the participation issue. If a 2A school with an enrollment of 500 has 70% participation, assuming 1/2 are girls, they would still have 175 male football players. Supposing it's a 1A school with an enrollment of 250, it would still be 88.

The split is my second choice, behind play-where-you-fall. I'll take anything that rids us of the split.

TN has a 2nd league, the TACS, but I don't know of any TACS schools that play football.

[Edited by swamp on 10-15-02 11:56A]

Posted by swamp:

I have to call you on the participation issue. If a 2A school with an enrollment of 500 has 70% participation, assuming 1/2 are girls, they would still have 175 male football players. Supposing it's a 1A school with an enrollment of 250, it would still be 88.

I fail to see any logic whatsoever here - please explain - I am totally confused.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't bring Georgia into this I have friends that graduated from private schools and Georgia and here it goes. GA public schools are 1000 times better than TN so people aren't rushing there kids to privates and privates aren't the way to go. Professional athletes even have their kids in public schools and recording artist like Monica even go public. If voters would get out and vote in the best interest of their state and put down the blue ribbon and quit trying to be so difficult. The people shooting down the tax and the lottery are the same people posting in this board.