CAK & Alcoa Part II

FootballDad

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the insights. Alcoa's not talking much these days. Waiting until gametime, I guess? You know, my little brother grew big enough to throw me across the room when he was 16 but I still held that psychological edge on him. Intimidation and past defeat is a powerful influence. I believe you are right about CAK, that's why I think if the Warrior's get up quick, it could have one of those, "Uh, Oh! Here we go again" affects on Alcoa. Away from the mind game, is everybody healthy for this game?

By the way? Isn't your Alma Mater still in the hunt?

I understand what you are saying about the psychology of the game and wouldn't argue against your points. Its challenging to get a true gauge of what these youngsters are thinking.

Everybody's healthy as far as I know.

Yes, my Mt.Juliet Golden Bears are rocking. Thanks for bringing that up.

CAK will go 2 for 2 against Alcoa this year. The weather is much better than it was the last game so I think CAK will throw the ball better than they did the first time and also if they run the ball like they did the first time Alcoa will not stand a chance. Also I think that CAK has their best WR back who missed the first game with an ankle sprain.

CAK 31

Alcoa 21

I'm glad both of these teams are entering the game at pretty well full strength considering the time of the season. I know CAK is a different team when #'s 16,25, 5, and 11 are on the field at the same time. It will be interesting to see what Alcoa decides to prioritize defensively. CAK can be highly effective through the air, but it was the ground game that hurt Alcoa last time. I do believe Alcoa is the best passing defense CAK will play, but I question whether even Alcoa can stop the Warriors through the air, on the ground, and a very mobil QB. The key IMO is whether CAK can prevent turnovers and play tough defense.

Psychological edge is a fickle component to consider when dealing with 14-18 year old young men. Us old guys can contemplate that, but many of these young guys aren't mature enough yet for psychology to factor in too much. It probably has more impact on the coaches and how they prepare than it actually does on the players. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but just my humble opinion. But playing along with that notion, I would say neither has a psychological edge, and that is a plus for CAK. My reasoning is that from pre & post game talk reported from various players from several different Alcoa opponents over the years it appeared as if they were beat before they ever took the field against the Tornadoes because they didn't think they could win. They hoped they could win but didn't actually believe they could. But CAK's players know & believe they are capable of beating Alcoa now that they have finally accomplished that feat. Not saying they know they are going to win this game, but they are more confident than in the past. Alcoa should know what they are capable of and that they didn't just win 7 consecutive titles by intimidating people. They won because they are good and well coached. None of that has changed. So I would call it a wash. Alcoa probably feels a bit more threatened by CAK this time around and will try to channel more energy towards preventing what happened last time. CAK is not intimidated and more determined than ever to prove they are on the same level as Alcoa. Makes for a great matchup. But what happened last time is over and done with. This is a whole new ball game between 2 worthy opponents that are both capable of knocking each other out.

Not to take anything away from Alcoa because they have built a great program, but i agree that they won a lot of games before they even stepped onto the field... and definately after the first offensive and defensive posessions. One of the main reasons Austin-East was able to beat Alcoa was because they believed that they could win.

I remember those days when Austin-East opponents didn't expect to win. Opponents had doubt at the beginning of the game... and after the first possessions, the doubt was confirmed in the opponent's mind...

Sigh... those were the days

much respect to the f-5.but i'm pulling for cak. i think everyne in the state(except alcoa) is ready to see a different 3a champ. cak in a close one 27-21.

Are you not a Milan fan?

If you are a Milan fan, don't you want your Bulldogs to be the team that ended Alcoa's streak? Do you not believe that Milan can do it and would rather see them play someone other than Alcoa in the final?

If not a Milan fan, please disregard this post.

Not to take anything away from Alcoa because they have built a great program, but i agree that they won a lot of games before they even stepped onto the field... and definately after the first offensive and defensive posessions. One of the main reasons Austin-East was able to beat Alcoa was because they believed that they could win.

I remember those days when Austin-East opponents didn't expect to win. Opponents had doubt at the beginning of the game... and after the first possessions, the doubt was confirmed in the opponent's mind...

Sigh... those were the days

Are any of those days during the time Sam Anderson was there? Good coach and great guy. Actually got to know him and talk to him back then when he was the coach there. Really liked him.

Edited by mhs

Quiet thread indeed and IMO here is why, CAK 31 Alcoa 21. Keep that trophy in ET!

AlcoaNation, I know how much you love your Tornadoes, that must be a hard prediction for you to make. I have never seen the Alcoa faithful so quiet, what is going on over there on the hill? Hope it is a good game with no injuries. CAK 28 Alcoa 27. A loss tonight, might bring Rankin back another year, don't know if he could stomach going out with 5 losses.

The field is soft but actually in pretty good shape considering all the rain and how much it has been played on this year. I wouldn't characterize it as a "fast track", but it is much dryer than the last game. My key to this game is how well do the defenses play. CAK and Alcoa both have big playmakers on offense and undoubtedly will score points. But, which defense will make the most plays and get the most stops? Last time CAK stepped up and stopped Alcoa on several 3rd/4th and shorts. Can the Tornadoes throttle the pass attack of CAK, especially with the big play threat #25 on the field this time, and still control the run game that the Warriors have discovered? Can CAK limit the damage created by the combo of speed (#29 & #15) and power (#44) that Alcoa will present. Special teams, turnovers, penalties all can certainly play a pivotal role as well when 2 high powered teams like this are matched against each other. Last year one game between these teams was a shootout and the other a defensive struggle. Hard to tell how this one will play out. The CAK players I've spoken with are hungry for this game and eager to prove to all that the last game was not a case of Alcoa beating themselves or CAK getting lucky. Two very good teams that will both be well prepared, this should be a dandy. :thumb:

Go get'm Warriors!