Covington @ Maplewood

CHARGERFAN

Both teams will be in for a dog fight this friday night. Chester Co didnt believe that Covington would be the fastest team they had seen all year, and covington was running laps around their defense. As i have previously stated, covington will be the fastest team(player for player)on the field. If maplewood can keep Covingtons backs from getting outside, then they have a good chance at a win. But if covington begins to catch the corner on some runs, it will be a long night for maplewood. Covingtons backs are VERY good in the open field and can make defenders miss very easy.

That being said, I do believe that maplewood will have success running the ball against covington. Maplewood is a very good team. I was able to watch them against Riverdale earlier in the year, and even tho they lost, they still impressed me.

I dont believe that either team will run away with this game,and i think it will come down to who wins the turnover battle, as it does in most semifinal playoff games.

• Upvote 1

Both teams will be in for a dog fight this friday night. Chester Co didnt believe that Covington would be the fastest team they had seen all year, and covington was running laps around their defense. As i have previously stated, covington will be the fastest team(player for player)on the field. If maplewood can keep Covingtons backs from getting outside, then they have a good chance at a win. But if covington begins to catch the corner on some runs, it will be a long night for maplewood. Covingtons backs are VERY good in the open field and can make defenders miss very easy.

That being said, I do believe that maplewood will have success running the ball against covington. Maplewood is a very good team. I was able to watch them against Riverdale earlier in the year, and even tho they lost, they still impressed me.

I dont believe that either team will run away with this

game,and i think it will come down to who wins the turnover battle, as it does in most semifinal playoff games.

I don't think maplewoods run game will be very successful.. Just my 2 cents

You clearly don't know anything about Maplewood if you don't know that Maplewood has to deal with great speed in many of their games, especially in their district. I thought it was common knowledge, by even casual observers, that most public school teams from the Memphis and Nashville areas have great speed.

really Memphis? you throw them in here. what a joke! the backs at covington all run the 40 at 4.6 and better. If doesnt matter where you live to be fast, it just matters if they are smart enough to use their skills. All i can say is the team had better be ready for 4 quarters. Dont count Covington out.

Being from west tennessee and having seen both of these teams play, I would have to say that Maplewood is the favorite in this matchup. They are alot bigger up front on both sides of the ball, and they have the speed to contain Covingtons running game. That being said, you cant measue the size of a teams heart, and after seeing Covington play a few times, I would have to say that they have the most will power out of any team I have seen this year. The Linemen for Covington have been so much smaller than every team they have played, but they have still gotten the job done. I look for this to go down to the wire, and Covington has played alot of close games lately, which will help them in late game situations.

Im going to say this game is a toss up, but with Maplewood being at home, Ill give them a slight edge. You never know how traveling that far will affect a team. Will be a very interesting game to watch and Im glad Ill have the chance to be there.

really Memphis? you throw them in here. what a joke! the backs at covington all run the 40 at 4.6 and better. If doesnt matter where you live to be fast, it just matters if they are smart enough to use their skills. All i can say is the team had better be ready for 4 quarters. Dont count Covington out.

A previous poster questioned Maplewood's ability to deal with speed. And I was merely saying that they are used to dealing with speed from playing other inner city high schools in Nashville. I tossed Memphis in there as a more local reference to Covington fans. And yes, I know that pure athleticism is not enough. Skill, execution, and good game planning are big parts of being successful. I think it will be a pretty even game.

A previous poster questioned Maplewood's ability to deal with speed. And I was merely saying that they are used to dealing with speed from playing other inner city high schools in Nashville. I tossed Memphis in there as a more local reference to Covington fans. And yes, I know that pure athleticism is not enough. Skill, execution, and good game planning are big parts of being successful. I think it will be a pretty even game.

Ladarius Vanlier is the fastest back that I have seen all year. He only needs a crease and hits the hole before you can blink. If Covington has more speed than Maplewood then they need to be on the Olymipic team.

Covington is the best team outside of Milan I have seen all year. They are very aggressive and fast. If they come out swinging I feel bad for Maplewood because they can score fast. I'm pulling for Covington and hope to see y'all join Milan at Cookeville. It will be great to show how tough 13A really is putting 2 teams in for the gold ball. Good luck and I will pray for all teams safety. Go Chargers!!! That's from a good ole Milan boy!!!

I am looking forward to seeing the matchup. Covington is new to the Class 4A playoffs. Our team has some history in the playoffs in 3A, however, having advanced to the State Championship game three times in the history of the school.

Just for kicks, here is a little recap of our State Playoff Semi-Final success:

1971 - defeated MBA 21-13 to advance.

2000 - defeated Jackson Southside 28-8 to advance

2003 - defeated Greenbrier 20-6 to advance.

Now, we have never won a state championship. We have lost rather handily in each of the three state title games we played. Of course, I tell folks that I would rather have played for the state championship and lost than never to have played in a title game at all.

Bottom line is that Coach Wheeler was an assistant here when we last played for the title. He has this team ready to make a run to get back to the title game, and Maplewood is the opponent we need to defeat to get there. I think that Wheeler's playoff coaching experience plus the heart of our squad make us able to compete with Maplewood even if they are favored by most experts.

We'll see how it comes out on Friday.

I dont believe that either team will run away with this game,and i think it will come down to who wins the turnover battle, as it does in most semifinal playoff games.

i highly doubt that covington was the fastet team chester has seen all year...and as much as the CC ppl wana say they had all these boys runnin 4.4s and such...they dont but they are a good team...

as for covington dropping 35 points on the maplewood D...no...not gona happen...theyre a much better defensive team than milan so good luck with that...