Covington @ Maplewood

CHARGERFAN

I am looking forward to seeing the matchup. Covington is new to the Class 4A playoffs. Our team has some history in the playoffs in 3A, however, having advanced to the State Championship game three times in the history of the school.

Just for kicks, here is a little recap of our State Playoff Semi-Final success:

1971 - defeated MBA 21-13 to advance.

2000 - defeated Jackson Southside 28-8 to advance

2003 - defeated Greenbrier 20-6 to advance.

Now, we have never won a state championship. We have lost rather handily in each of the three state title games we played. Of course, I tell folks that I would rather have played for the state championship and lost than never to have played in a title game at all.

Bottom line is that Coach Wheeler was an assistant here when we last played for the title. He has this team ready to make a run to get back to the title game, and Maplewood is the opponent we need to defeat to get there. I think that Wheeler's playoff coaching experience plus the heart of our squad make us able to compete with Maplewood even if they are favored by most experts.

We'll see how it comes out on Friday.

Welcome to 4a. Evidently someone forgot to tell you about the "river thang". Da sweeps just don't cut it in the middle & east. But, fight hard for that Silver Ball anyway.... :ph34r:

i highly doubt that covington was the fastet team chester has seen all year...and as much as the CC ppl wana say they had all these boys runnin 4.4s and such...they dont but they are a good team...

as for covington dropping 35 points on the maplewood D...no...not gona happen...theyre a much better defensive team than milan so good luck with that...

Check the Covington vs Chester Co boards. A chester county fan clearly states that covington was the fastest team that chester had seen all year.

Check the Covington vs Chester Co boards. A chester county fan clearly states that covington was the fastest team that chester had seen all year.

I actually took time to read all the messages on that board. The closest statement that I could find that backs your assertion was this one by use2play4cc: "Your backfield was the fastest we've faced! As for 4A in the west (not induing Memphis) Liberty as a "team" was the fastest IMO! "

I actually took time to read all the messages on that board. The closest statement that I could find that backs your assertion was this one by use2play4cc: "Your backfield was the fastest we've faced! As for 4A in the west (not induing Memphis) Liberty as a "team" was the fastest IMO! "

Liberty was a fast team!!! ...but small ... big backs punished them ..wasn't all about speed ...well at least not on offense.

I expect those guys to get a hefty dose of both come friday!!!

I heard the other day, that an officiating crew from NorthWest Tennessee association is doing this game... How can it be since that association does Covington's games. I know they say it doesn't matter but I don't think thats right!

If they are from Dyesrsburg, that is a nightmare for Covington. LOL.

You have to understand that it has been said among our fanbase in the stands for years, whenever the officials make a stupid call "They must be from Dyersburg". So, an officiating crew from NW Tennessee may not be a favorable thing for Covington after all.

Edited by CHARGERFAN

If you would check my previous post, you would see that you clarified exactly what I stated. I did not say covington was the fastest team in the state, or even in west tennessee. I clearly said that Covington was the fastest team that Chester CO had seen (meaning played), and by you quoting the chester co fan, you proved my point.

Im not saying that Covington will be faster than maplewood, but for you to think that covington will be slow just because they are from west tennessee is crazy.

Covington is back on the right track!! As a former player, it makes me feel really good to say that! I have taken a lot flack over the past few years about Covington falling off the deep end. I haven't even read all these posts and I don't know anything about Maplewood so I don't know what all has been said but I am gonna say this, Maplewood is about to be shocked. Traditionally, when the Chargers get in the playoffs and get rolling they don't take any prisoners. Nashville is about a taste of some good ole fashioned West Tennessee football! Good luck to Coach Wheeler, his staff and his team! GIVE EM' ALL THEY WANT!!

Edited by thegood