Rankin going to Catholic?

falconvol

I'd hire John Reid back in a second if he applied to be the coach once again at Alcoa. Alcoa fans who have been complaining about the "lack of versitile play calling" on offense would want him back too I am sure.

Many of the Alcoa fans I have seen post this year must be people who are quite frankly wanting to see Rankin leave and wanting to see Nix take over. Wasn't Nix the defensive coordinator? Didn't his defense surrender 61 total points in 2 losses to CAK this year?

While many of you complain about offensive play calling why don't you look at the scoreboard and ask yourself "should 37 points be enough for us to win a game?" because that's what Alcoa scored in defeat in that playoff game a few weeks ago.

BCsportsfan, wasn't it you who made the post about "play calling in CAK territory" being what cost Alcoa the game?

Coach Nix is a great coach first and foremost! He should get the job when Rankin leaves. Yes he is the DC and this is the first time in his career that he has been put out before the Semifinals. CAK is a very good football team and would own your beloved CC Cubs!!! You live in Cheatham Co....so what do you really know about this Alcoa football team or Coach Nix???

I'd hire John Reid back in a second if he applied to be the coach once again at Alcoa. Alcoa fans who have been complaining about the "lack of versitile play calling" on offense would want him back too I am sure.

Many of the Alcoa fans I have seen post this year must be people who are quite frankly wanting to see Rankin leave and wanting to see Nix take over. Wasn't Nix the defensive coordinator? Didn't his defense surrender 61 total points in 2 losses to CAK this year?

While many of you complain about offensive play calling why don't you look at the scoreboard and ask yourself "should 37 points be enough for us to win a game?" because that's what Alcoa scored in defeat in that playoff game a few weeks ago.

BCsportsfan, wasn't it you who made the post about "play calling in CAK territory" being what cost Alcoa the game?

Yes Nix was the DC. No his defense didn’t surrender 61 points in two losses to CAK… it was 62 (55 in regulation).

Here are some other things to consider…

IMO, Alcoa played the toughest schedule in the state:

Maryville – 6A finalist and probably state champion (for the second consecutive year)

Greeneville – 4A finalist and probably state champion (for the second consecutive year)

CAK – 3A finalist and probably state champion

Four of Alcoa’s games were against state finalist and potential state champs. Alcoa’s defense allowed 15 points a game this season on average.

The 24 points and 31 points that Alcoa allowed against CAK in regulation were well below CAK’s 41 point average. The least points that CAK scored in regulation this year were against Alcoa (24 points and 31 points) and Grace (31 points).

Is Nix a good defensive coordinator? Yes

Does CAK have a great offense this year? Yes

Coach Nix is a great coach first and foremost! He should get the job when Rankin leaves. Yes he is the DC and this is the first time in his career that he has been put out before the Semifinals. CAK is a very good football team and would own your beloved CC Cubs!!! You live in Cheatham Co....so what do you really know about this Alcoa football team or Coach Nix???

Can you read or do you choose not to read? I never said Alcoa wasn't a "good" team. My post was aimed at those idiots who are quick to run Rankin out of town and hand the job to Nix. Talk about "back-stabbing".

How did CC get brought into this?

Is Rankin a good offensive coordinator? Yes

Has Rankin's offensive play calling come under question by Alcoa fans? Yes

Are those Alcoa fans who doubt Rankin "idiots"? Yes

Point taken, but attacking Alcoa's defense was unnecessary. I took another look at your first post...

Yes 31 points in regulation (37 including OT) should win a game unless you are playing CAK... a team that has broken several state records on the offensive side of the ball. When you play an offense of that caliber, you have to try to contain them, but you also have to figure out a way to score more points. LaVergne (43-42) and Grace (32-31) were the only two teams that were able to do that this year.

I agree that CAK's offense is dynamic. I look forward to seeing them this afternoon against a Milan defense that shut down 2 very good offensive football teams (Fairview & CPA) the last 2 weeks. Milan can't win a "shootout" as LaVergne (bigger school = more athletes) and Grace (very good small school with great players) did. They'll have to control the football with their running game and hope to keep the CAK offense on the sidelines.

It just bothers me how many Alcoa "fans" were singing Rankin's praises these last 5 years and now that he lost a game 38-37 in the playoffs (after enduring an average season against the state's best schedule) they've all turned on him and do nothing but "poor mouth" him on here.

How could you "poor mouth" the state's #4 all-time winningest coach?

I agree that CAK's offense is dynamic. I look forward to seeing them this afternoon against a Milan defense that shut down 2 very good offensive football teams (Fairview & CPA) the last 2 weeks. Milan can't win a "shootout" as LaVergne (bigger school = more athletes) and Grace (very good small school with great players) did. They'll have to control the football with their running game and hope to keep the CAK offense on the sidelines.

It just bothers me how many Alcoa "fans" were singing Rankin's praises these last 5 years and now that he lost a game 38-37 in the playoffs (after enduring an average season against the state's best schedule) they've all turned on him and do nothing but "poor mouth" him on here.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. I'm from Smith County and know Coach Rankin better than ANY poster from Alcoa, so don't come back with "you're not from Alcoa and don't know him."

I understand your arguement, and it's probably a valid one... but IMO, Nix and the defense did not need to be brought into the conversation.

Also... be careful using words like "all." It's not good to judge the whole on the words/actions of a few.

No disrespect to Milan, but I don't see them slowing CAK's offense down too much. One of the reasons that CAK is able to torch good defenses (aside from the fact that they have good players and a good scheme) is that there are not that many teams that pass the ball like CAK. I think my roadrunners matched up with CAK good, but the secondary was not accustomed to covering WRs for an entire game. We may have had a better chance earlier in the season after summer passing leagues... maybe.

It was never my intention when I started this thread to bash Rankin or imply that I want him gone. On the contrary, I DON'T want him to leave. I have a great deal of respect for this man. I have yet to hear one of the boys say a negative word about him. Yes, they have complained about practice, but never of the man, himself. My son would be hate to lose him as his coach. I have been very discouraged with the number of people who want him to go ahead and leave...are you serious! We didn't make it to state. I know the expectation is to go every year, but that's unrealistic. If anyone talked to Rankin after the game, you would have seen how upset he was for his players. "I hate it for these kids," were his words.

I feel like there were some personnel issues in positions all season. Nix is a great DC, but against those big passing teams, imo, there needed to be some adjustments made on the line. There were some big boys that could have been in there to beef up the line. Play some of those boys on both sides. In a game like we had with CAK you got to use everything you have.

With Wall as QB, I hope to see Fergusson and Dean utilized more next year. These two are great athletes. For those of you who enjoy basketball, go see Dean. He's the real deal!