Best state champions

WoodlawnFalcons

1)Congratulations to the Maryville Rebels on yet ANOTHER state championship in football! :thumb: It's truly remarkable the success George Quarles continues to lead Maryville to in football.

2) How on earth do people continue to try to diminish Maryville football under Coach George Quarles? When they played in 4A, they were told they would never dominate 5A like they were dominating 4A and weren't given the proper credit for playing and beating the exceptional HHS and Melrose teams they faced. Now, they are playing in the highest public school classification and still dominating against those same types of teams as shown by beating Whitehaven this year in spite Whitehaven being an exceptional team themselves. I mean, losing to HHS and White Station in the state championship and Alcoa in consecutive years doesn't all the sudden mean Maryville is a washed up program. As much as I hate their past success against HHS, they ARE the gold standard of high school football in Tennessee since 2000.

Ensworth has an exceptional football program, no question, but they aren't Maryville. I'm sure they would probably compete well against Maryville, maybe even give Maryville a good scare, but giving Maryville a good scare and ACTUALLY beating Maryville are totally different things. See HHS, Melrose, and Alcoa's games over the last decade for reference. From those references one SHOULD logically deduce that until you beat Maryville, you end up spending your time merely talking about beating Maryville.

oh brother, you can harp all you want, DII football is the best in the state. I've seen them all play. M-ville is a good team and their coach does a great job but DII football is the strongest across the board. Ensworth is not the only DII team that would beat them. And, up until 2 yrs ago, I lived a mile from the USA #1 rated team (in the US), coached some of those boys and my son played with them. There are at least 2-4 DII teams that would beat them (don bosco) should they have to play top teams wk after wk. The gold standard in football in TN is DII. You only need to look at where the DI recruits are coming from. There is a reason why the state made them go to their own division. I had the head recruiter for one of the top college pgms in the country at my tailgate a few wks back, and i asked him what schools in TN do you follow? Every single one was a DII school. Yes i'm sure the posts will now begin to refute this one but you keep on being delusional. In the end doesn't matter anyway, its only HS football.

oh brother, you can harp all you want, DII football is the best in the state. I've seen them all play. M-ville is a good team and their coach does a great job but DII football is the strongest across the board. Ensworth is not the only DII team that would beat them. And, up until 2 yrs ago, I lived a mile from the USA #1 rated team (in the US), coached some of those boys and my son played with them. There are at least 2-4 DII teams that would beat them (don bosco) should they have to play top teams wk after wk. The gold standard in football in TN is DII. You only need to look at where the DI recruits are coming from. There is a reason why the state made them go to their own division. I had the head recruiter for one of the top college pgms in the country at my tailgate a few wks back, and i asked him what schools in TN do you follow? Every single one was a DII school. Yes i'm sure the posts will now begin to refute this one but you keep on being delusional. In the end doesn't matter anyway, its only HS football.

Who's harping? I'm just blown away by how many folks continue to try and diminish Maryville football's accomplishments under George Quarles. 9 gold balls and 2 silver balls since 2000 SHOULD kinda speak for themselves.

Look, I'm not saying Maryville can't be beaten. Obviously they have been. I'm saying everyone TALKS about how their team would or will beat Maryville. Not many teams have managed to follow through over the recent years.

At seemingly every turn, Maryville has been met with attempts to "put them in their place" in debates such as the current one about Ensworth, yet ON THE FIELD, they continue to win far more often than not.

As for the college scholarships in DII-AA, you may very well be right.

Edited by BurroBall

Who's harping? I'm just blown away by how many folks continue to try and diminish Maryville football's accomplishments under George Quarles. I'm not saying Maryville can't be beaten. Obviously they have been. However, at every turn Maryville has been met with attempts to "put them in their place" in debates such as the current one about Ensworth, yet on the field, they win more often than not.

As for the college talent in DII-AA, you may very well be right. However, to suggest that players from public schools don't play for the top college programs is foolish. College programs recruit the best talent that can get qualified.

my comments made no such suggestion BUT there are only 38 kids in TN that had DI offers last yr and if i only include 2 DII AA schools off the top of my head, those 2 had almost 1/4 of them. I'm talking only 2 DII AA schools!! will be the same way this yr and even more next yr as i know who is being recruited - i have some of them at my home every wkend. as i said maryville is a very good team but when you have to play ensworth, baylor, brentwood academy, MBA (yes even on a down yr), and others in successive wkends you need to be on your A game all of the time. Maryville does not face that type of competition on successive wkends.

my comments made no such suggestion BUT there are only 38 kids in TN that had DI offers last yr and if i only include 2 DII AA schools off the top of my head, those 2 had almost 1/4 of them. I'm talking only 2 DII AA schools!! will be the same way this yr and even more next yr as i know who is being recruited - i have some of them at my home every wkend. as i said maryville is a very good team but when you have to play ensworth, baylor, brentwood academy, MBA (yes even on a down yr), and others in successive wkends you need to be on your A game all of the time. Maryville does not face that type of competition on successive wkends.

So, why then do people such as yourself feel the need to try to diminish Maryville's accomplishments in these debates by reminding them that even though they just won another state championship they wouldn't beat__________? Maryville's obviously no legitimate threat to DII-AA schools on the gridiron. Why not just let those lunatics who think they are, enjoy their fantasy? I mean that's what the SEC country fans typically do with Big 12 the next generation fans.

how many DI recruits from maryville and where are they going?

Jay Guillermo (OL) - Number one ranked center in the nation by ESPN (Clemson)

Patton Robinette (QB) - Made it to the finals of the Elite 11 Camp. Committed to UNC but maybe end up somewhere else since the coach got fired. Taken Official visits to Stanford, Iowa, and Vandy

Brandon Guy (OL)- Being recruited by smaller D1 schools. See him as a mid major player

ummm, can't DII schools pretty much recruit? Well, as much as people wanna believe, Maryville can't..Why is this even an discussion? Just goes to show how good Maryville is that they are being compared to teams that can literally recruit their players. You know how silly it sounds for you guys to compare a school that can't recruit players to schools like Ensworth that can? Lets see Ensworth play with regular players in their actual zones, and then we can talk lol Who cares how many D! prospects Maryville has, they just won the state for about the 9th time in 11 years, you people are really nit picking here, gimme a break..If my team just won a state title that many times, i could give a rats a** how many D1 players they have, this isn't college last time i checked. All Maryville does is win, baby.

ummm, can't DII schools pretty much recruit? Well, as much as people wanna believe, Maryville can't..Why is this even an discussion? Just goes to show how good Maryville is that they are being compared to teams that can literally recruit their players. You know how silly it sounds for you guys to compare a school that can't recruit players to schools like Ensworth that can? Lets see Ensworth play with regular players in their actual zones, and then we can talk lol Who cares how many D! prospects Maryville has, they just won the state for about the 9th time in 11 years, you people are really nit picking here, gimme a break..If my team just won a state title that many times, i could give a rats a** how many D1 players they have, this isn't college last time i checked. All Maryville does is win, baby.

Depends on your definition of "actual zones". Ensworth plays by the same rules as every other school in D2-AA. As regards the "zoning issue", Maryville, and other "open zoned" schools, have different constraints than do most of the teams that they play against in the D1-6A tournament every year. Maryville clearly plays within the TSSAA rules and I am not accusing them of doing otherwise - all I am saying is that those rules allow them to attract students from a different zone than traditionally zoned schools. One can argue all one wants as to whether this gives the open-zoned schools a competitive advantage, but the results seem pretty clear to me - the open-zoned publics, such as Maryville and Alcoa (I believe Greeneville is also not traditionally zoned) , beat the other publics consistently.

I could care less who would win on the football field during the 2011 season - we will never know since these two excellent teams did not play. I do know that they Maryville and Ensworth are both fantastic programs with excellent staffs and fantastics kids and that anyone who denigrates either program knows very little about high school football in the State of Tennessee. Congratulations to both the Maryville Rebels and the Ensworth Tigers on their championship seasons.

Edited by RedRobin

Jay Guillermo (OL) - Number one ranked center in the nation by ESPN (Clemson)

Patton Robinette (QB) - Made it to the finals of the Elite 11 Camp. Committed to UNC but maybe end up somewhere else since the coach got fired. Taken Official visits to Stanford, Iowa, and Vandy

Brandon Guy (OL)- Being recruited by smaller D1 schools. See him as a mid major player

thx - i knew of guillermo but not their QB or Guy. a good number for them

• 3 weeks later...

I agree Maryville is the Gold Standard of TN football since 2000 but based on tssaa Standard Ensworth is the Gold Standard of TN football because private schools are the best of the best in TN that why they put private schools in a class all by them self.

Thats a crock, the privates are in their on class b/c they recruit and it is unfair for them to compete in play-offs against schools w/o that same privilege. Thats schools in general, but the top tier schools like Maryville, Riverdale, and a few others can still compete w/ and beat those private scools.....