MBA coverup exposed

newsoftheworldus

Just curious....you people do realize that I could give a family in need 10,000 dollars and tell hek to use it for morgsge, and for them to use all the money they have towards tuition. MBA was either to lazy or incompetent to cheat this way, which is why they were brought down. If you do not believe this goes on at other dII schools you are completely delusional.

One of the main problems I's the tssaa not doing really anything to govern this. Are they not giving every other d2 school a liscense to recruit whoever they want? With no post season ban every school should know they can get away with almost anything right now.

Just curious....you people do realize that I could give a family in need 10,000 dollars and tell hek to use it for morgsge, and for them to use all the money they have towards tuition. MBA was either to lazy or incompetent to cheat this way, which is why they were brought down. If you do not believe this goes on at other dII schools you are completely delusional.

Agree with all of this. And I finally do see a silver lining with Gioia...he is not good at cheating. There's got to be something good in that.

And now "tuition donations" will be made to struggling families in parking lots, in envelopes, in cash. Those families will take that cash, deposite it into an account, and write a check off of it. Cheaters can always find a way to cheat. Eventually, someone who doesnt get the playing time promised will talk and there will be an investigation. Bank records will be examined and unexplained income will have a predetermined lie ready to go.

TSSAA is too incompetent and spineless to make this go away. MBA should have lost athletic participation for two years, post season for 4, in all sports.

TSSAA is an organization and an instituition. They lost instituitional control a long time ago. This case points to that more than ever before.

There's no way that this is the MBA head of school to whom you are replying.

Probably not, but at the least, it is a foolishly blind follower that wont face the truth, while claiming to be "MBATruth". It might as well be Brad, so I chose to respond they way I did. They are a puppet of his that is also helping MBA continue on the downhill slide instead of facing reality.

Probably not, but at the least, it is a foolishly blind follower that wont face the truth, while claiming to be "MBATruth". It might as well be Brad, so I chose to respond they way I did. They are a puppet of his that is also helping MBA continue on the downhill slide instead of facing reality.

This would have never been an issue if the head coach had not handled the money.

As posted earlier this week, The Nashville City Paper printed a story about a letter to former players from former Coach McGugin giving his side of the story, with a copy of the letter.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/city-news/ex-coach-mcgugin-responds-tssaa-says-hes-not-blame-sanctions-against-mba

This morning, The Tennessean has a similar article about Coach McGugin's letter to the former players:

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120121/SPORTS07/301210022/In-letter-players-ex-MBA-coach-admits-blame?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports|p

There is one big difference between the two articles. While substantively the same----the letter is pretty straightforward-----the headline spin put on the letter by each paper are completely different.

In The City Paper headline for its article reads: "Ex-coach McGugin responds to TSSAA, says he is not to blame for sanctions against MBA."

The Tennessean headline for its article reads: "Ex-coach Daniel McGugin admits blame in letter to players."

Are these headlines not in stark contrast to each other? One grabs your attention by stating that he admits blame, while the other says he is not to blame. Confusing, to say the least,if one just looks at the headlines. Is it just me, or does it appear that one or both of Nashville's two weekday morning papers have taken sides in this matter and may have different agendas, instead of just giving us the news "without favor" (or maybe it should be "flavor"). That has been alluded to before by other posters on this topic. These two opposite spins on the same letter would seem to give some substance to those allegations.

Edited by BuckLateral

Perhaps, and the cheating would still be ongoing.

As it is at all big D2's. Simlar to college football can the coach control the boosters or does he really want to control them? The NCAA hasnt found an answer to control outside funds so can the TSSAA? Hopefully schools, administrators, and Boards have enough integrity to follow the letter of the law. Unfortunately for MBA this time around this was not the case. Who is to blame well all of them not just the coach.

It isn't cheating since it's not against the rules. Why do you think ensworth and Brentwood academy have not been caught for this? They pay directly to the families, and none of that money is used for tuition. The kid may not even be a good athlete, but that's how schools legally help out families that can't afford a new car (tuition) yearly