2012 Class AAA Miss Basketball Ballot

CoachT

The ballot is in my hand and is due by Monday, Feb 6th. Many media members will read your comments and positive comments are much more effective than negative ones. Tell us who TO vote for. Thanks

"The Mr. and Miss Basketball Awards will be presented to the top girls and boys in five classifications of the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association at the state basketball championships in March.

This group is to include three finalists for Miss Basketball and three for Mr. Basketball in each classification. The winners of the coveted award are to receive the distinguished Mr. and Miss Basketball trophy with the other finalists being presented plaques.

The awards will be presented for each classification prior to the championship game awards presentation for each class, respectively. The presentation of the Mr. and Miss Basketball Awards for Division II will be given on Saturday, March 3 at Allen Arena on the campus of Lipscomb University in Nashville.

The presentation of the Miss Basketball Awards for Division I, Classes A, AA, and AAA will be given during each championship awards ceremony for each class on Saturday, March 10 at the Murphy Center on the campus of Middle Tennessee State University in Murfreesboro.

The presentation of the Mr. Basketball Awards for Division I, Classes A, AA, and AAA will be given during each championship awards ceremony for each class on Saturday, March 17 at the Murphy Center on the campus of Middle Tennessee State University.

Any player at any of our member schools is eligible to receive votes, and I would encourage you to take a moment and give careful consideration to any player with whom you are familiar and who you think deserving of the Mr. or Miss Basketball Award.

These votes are a nominating process only. A selection committee that will include representatives from each area of the state will meet to vote on the finalists and winner of the Mr. and Miss Basketball Award for each classification. You may submit the names of up to three players in each classification for the awards."

District 1 has two great point guards. Tennessee High's Ashlee Mitchell and Science Hill's Tianna Tarter are both lightening quick and should draw Division 1 attention. Tarter is only a sophomore that helped Science Hill defeat Clarksville and reach the AAA semi-finals last year where they lost a heartbreaker to eventual champion Memphis Central. I think Mitchell is a junior, but I am not absolutely sure.

I truely believe that Riverdale's Barbee has to be in the running for Miss Basketball. However, I do have some reservations on voting for her. Her play and talent makes her deserving of the nomination, but her coach's unsportsman like conduct may cost her the vote. Many coaches in my area are talking of boycotting her to send a message to her coach. This, in some people's opinion, may make other student-athletes choose somewhere else besides Riverdale.

Here is how hoopgurlz . com has the Tennessee AAA girls ranked.....

Bashaara Graves from Clarksville HS - #5 in the nation according to hoopgurlz

Aaliyah Whiteside from Memphis Central - #23 in the nation according to hoopgurlz

Danielle Ballard from Memphis Central - #24 in the nation according to hoopgurlz

Chandler Cooper from Clarksville HS - #51 in the nation according to hoopgurlz

Cornelia Fondren from Memphis Overton HS - #73 in the nation according to hoopgurlz

Shacobia Barbee from Riverdale HS - #82 in the nation according to hoopgurlz

Edited by GCPioneer

Aaliyah Whiteside from Memphis Central - #23 in the nation according to hoopgurlz

Danielle Ballard from Memphis Central - #24 in the nation according to hoopgurlz

Cornelia Fondren from Memphis Overton HS - #73 in the nation according to hoopgurlz

I know Ballard was dismissed from the team. Has she been re-instated?

I truely believe that Riverdale's Barbee has to be in the running for Miss Basketball. However, I do have some reservations on voting for her. Her play and talent makes her deserving of the nomination, but her coach's unsportsman like conduct may cost her the vote. Many coaches in my area are talking of boycotting her to send a message to her coach. This, in some people's opinion, may make other student-athletes choose somewhere else besides Riverdale.

You must have missed the part about being positive in talking about who to vote for. Sending a message to a coach on behalf of not voting for a player for such a great reward is pretty immature. That makes alot of since, i'll penalize the kid. This a vote for the player not the coach.

Shacobia is very talented and a great asset to any team. She's already proved she is a Miss Basketball candidate by winning it last year. If she doesnt win it this year she will for ever be Miss Basketbal as will for all those who have won it in the past.

Edited by Joe Quincy

I know Ballard was dismissed from the team. Has she been re-instated?

Ballard is no longer with the team as was noted a few weeks ago in a hoopgurlz article.

The evaluations from hoopgurlz have not been updated truly since the end of summer evaluation. They are a great indication of what type of player they are and how well they played up till summers end. It's not truly reflective of how they have performed this year which is ultimately what is being voted on. It would be extremely difficult for the hoopgurlz staff to re-evaluate each of the 22 Top 100 within a high school season.

All these girls are good or great players. None of them have played as well as Caya Williams of Mt Juliet this year.

Bianca Cage, shooting guard from Southwind High averaging 20.3 points, 3.4 steals, 3.0 rebounds and 1.8 assists... She has helped her team this season with the most wins in school history and 1st 20 win season in school history. She currently has 487 points and shoots 77% from the free throw line.

• Upvote 1

That is unfortunate but there are so many great coaches around the Riverdale area, it really won't make any difference. Riveerdale is prominent to day because of Barbee and some others came alsong for the ride and to play with a great player. No player is perfect just as if no coach is perfect. Select her not for the coach, who is great inhis way, but select her becasue of who she is, Barbee. She is a player that for 4 years has played, not perfect, but with a heart of a champion. She's a little undersized whereever she plays but to play against her is to play against someone with the eyes of a champion. Even if you took a few players around her away, she will still have the same record. She has been who she is, has done what it takes, and played the positions she has had to play and many times has not been able to play the best position that would emphasize her skills but it has always has been for what she has been asked to do. Another one of a series of great players that have come thru the school. Barbee the player and Barbee the will to succeed. Edited by PHargis