Is CPA In Trouble?

howdoitknow

What Do You Think?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. If CPA played a student-athlete who was declared ineligible by the TSSAA should they have to vacate their wins over the course of the season as a result?

On Blackwell, it's my understanding he has been ruled ineligible by the TSSAA for the rest of the season. I would assume it has something to do with his transfer, but that is a guess not a fact.

This conversation has been started on the District 10-AA thread and I just wanted to get more clarification from those who may not be visitors on that thread.

If CPA played an student-athlete who was declared ineligible by the TSSAA then shouldn't they have to vacate every athletic contest in which that player was a participant?

I'm sure Signal Mountain football fans will say "YES!" since they had to bite the bullet last fall. I'm sure a lot of other schools around the state would agree with this as well.

What are your thoughts?

This conversation has been started on the District 10-AA thread and I just wanted to get more clarification from those who may not be visitors on that thread.

If CPA played an student-athlete who was declared ineligible by the TSSAA then shouldn't they have to vacate every athletic contest in which that player was a participant?

I'm sure Signal Mountain football fans will say "YES!" since they had to bite the bullet last fall. I'm sure a lot of other schools around the state would agree with this as well.

What are your thoughts?

TSSAA made the mistake here from what I heard from a school official. CPA provided TSSAA all necessary info for Blackwell and TSSAA released him to play then later retracted their approval. TSSAA looks bad on this one.

TSSAA made the mistake here from what I heard from a school official. CPA provided TSSAA all necessary info for Blackwell and TSSAA released him to play then later retracted their approval. TSSAA looks bad on this one.

That is a very reasonable explanation as to why there has been no mention of vacating wins, etc., if the TSSAA was at fault. What I cannot understand is why they would have declared him eligible in the first place. On page 12 of the 2011-12 TSSAA Handbook under Eighth Grade Participation it states: Any student repeating the eighth grade shall not be eligible for high school participation during the year that the student is repeating the eighth grade. Which really begs two questions- Why would CPA think this student was eligible? and why would the TSSAA initially say he was eligible?

That is a very reasonable explanation as to why there has been no mention of vacating wins, etc., if the TSSAA was at fault. What I cannot understand is why they would have declared him eligible in the first place. On page 12 of the 2011-12 TSSAA Handbook under Eighth Grade Participation it states: Any student repeating the eighth grade shall not be eligible for high school participation during the year that the student is repeating the eighth grade. Which really begs two questions- Why would CPA think this student was eligible? and why would the TSSAA initially say he was eligible?

Exactly, for something so clear cut. If that "reasonable explanation" holds up which in reality is not very reasonable, opponents would have every right to be upset.

TSSAA sent a letter to CPA giving them the date of eligibility. He was allowed to played based on that information. TSSAA then sent a second letter saying it was their mistake and he would not be allowed to play any more games this year. Because it was their mistake, there is not penalty for playing and it shouldn't be.

I am very surprised the TSSAA admitted to making a mistake. Not their style.

CPA is just like all the other private schools in that they recruit young men and women to play sports for their school. This is the reason that they should be in a different classification i.e. DII along with MBA and Brentwood Academy as CPA recruits just as hard as these two schools do, the only difference is all the DII schools do it legally. Why TSSAA allows this to continue is beyond me.

CPA is just like all the other private schools in that they recruit young men and women to play sports for their school. This is the reason that they should be in a different classification i.e. DII along with MBA and Brentwood Academy as CPA recruits just as hard as these two schools do, the only difference is all the DII schools do it legally. Why TSSAA allows this to continue is beyond me.

C'mon, devil, with over 3,000 posts you should come up with something more thought out than this. "the only difference is all the DII schools do it legally" is so far misinformed. There have been hundreds of posts on this subject, so here is a review for you:

- CPA is a private school that charges tuition, not a public school that is free.

- Because they charge tuition, they have to have a product that motivates families to spend money they don't have to spend.

- Cirriculum, mission statement, religious studies, faculty, athletics, fine arts, etc. are all part of the product they must show excellence in to motivate families to spend money they don't have to. CPA has chosen to hire excellent coaches to attract student athletes. Some public schools do the same thing legally.

- CPA is not like DII schools because they do not give financial aid to athletes. If they did the athletes would be ineligible.

- There is a difference between illegal recruiting and legal attracting. The TSSAA sets those rules. Has this line ever been crossed with CPA? I do not know, but I do know they have the crosshairs on them all the time and if they are doing it illegally, they will be caught. I have no problem with that if it happens if they are doing anything illegal.

- If a family wants to send their athlete child to CPA instead of another school, under the current system, they have that right, and there are guidelines as to eligibility.

ANY QUESTIONS?

C'mon, devil, with over 3,000 posts you should come up with something more thought out than this. "the only difference is all the DII schools do it legally" is so far misinformed. There have been hundreds of posts on this subject, so here is a review for you:

- CPA is a private school that charges tuition, not a public school that is free.

- Because they charge tuition, they have to have a product that motivates families to spend money they don't have to spend.

- Cirriculum, mission statement, religious studies, faculty, athletics, fine arts, etc. are all part of the product they must show excellence in to motivate families to spend money they don't have to. CPA has chosen to hire excellent coaches to attract student athletes. Some public schools do the same thing legally.

- CPA is not like DII schools because they do not give financial aid to athletes. If they did the athletes would be ineligible.

- There is a difference between illegal recruiting and legal attracting. The TSSAA sets those rules. Has this line ever been crossed with CPA? I do not know, but I do know they have the crosshairs on them all the time and if they are doing it illegally, they will be caught. I have no problem with that if it happens if they are doing anything illegal.

- If a family wants to send their athlete child to CPA instead of another school, under the current system, they have that right, and there are guidelines as to eligibility.

ANY QUESTIONS?

I have no problem with a family wanting to send their child to CPA or any other school for that matter if its done correctly, however it does bother me when things of this nature happen. Lets don't get on here and act like CPA isn't recruiting because we both know that they actively recruit in every sport or as you like to call it "attract" athletes. My youngest son was approached by a booster of CPA when he was in middle school playing AAU so i do know what i'm talking about however i'm not saying CPA is any different than any other private school. CPA is a great school and they have great facilities for learning as well as sports. I'm not bashing CPA just stating facts thats all. I will get off my private/public soap box and leave that for another day and end with this thought. The officials and coaches at CPA know the rules that are sent down by the governing body i.e. TSSAA and they know exactly when a kid will be eligible based on when he last played. So to act as if they didn't know when this particular athlete was eligible based on what he did the prior year insults everyone's intelligence and makes them look a little shady, wouldn't you agree?