State Tournament Format change

mrbigster

I don't like this change. The best games should be played last. Tennessee has one of the worst formats for a state tournament. The crowd is terrible etc. The whole format needs an overhaul starting with the district tournament. But over the past couple of years,TSSAA has added a session....Gouging the fans, instead of creating a better product. TSSAA is absolutely terrible,starting with the director and the head of officiating.

The district tournaments are totally controlled by each local district. The TSSAA has absolutely no say so on how you stage this tournament. They only require that each district send four teams to the region tournaments. How you determine which four teams advance to the region is up to each district.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually nebutyn, the TSSAA deleted a session. They now only have 1 session each day. Granted they went up 1 dollar per session but you now get to see all 6 games instead of having to pay for 2 sessions. And the games on Wed, Thurs, and Fri get over with earlier too with just one session. I like the idea of rotating who plays early each year. Single A schools 99% of the time have the best crowds and playing them later in the day may give even more fans a chance to come. I guess we will see if it is true this year. And I've watched plenty of boring 2A and 3A games in my few short years of going.

You are right, I forgot about that,thanks for the correction J.Vaughan. It's true, single A and the rural areas bring the bigger crowds. But they usually leave after they watch their team. That does not equal a true fan. I personally watch everyone but I am a fan of West TN. Like I said in a earlier post, Tennessee has a terrible state tournament crowd. It's time for a new format, from beginning to end. Tennessee tries to keep everything so politically correct. Being from Indiana, I can remember Market Square Arena being sold out for the state tournament. 17,000 plus. But our Semi State, which is equivalent to Tennessee sub state, was held at one central location (Purdue University,Mackey Arena). We didn't have classes at that time. One state champion. It's time for a change. Each region could have their substate at one central location,Played on the same day. it would add to the excitement.

This new format is stupid. Pisses me off. Single A is like watching girls games. The only player i want to see in A is Newby. I would rather see a blowout in AAA then a close game in A. They are a lot of fans going to be upset about this. Just watch, championship day they will watch the AA game and AAA game and then leave. All you will have is fans of the teams playing in A because nobody really cares to watch it. Let me think, um, Ridgeway vs. Southwind. Cam Golden Adam Weary J3 JJ Charles Smith or BTW vs Mcewen. Newby and uh yea Newby. Give me a break, GO BACK TO THE OLD FORMAT.

I agree that the only thing going in 1A is Newby and BTW. I hate the FACT that they dropped down but hey, what can you do. Guess BTW has a chance to play in the finale!

If they want to improve attendance, they should not have the boys play the same week that the NCAA has the first 32 games on Thursday and Friday. There are so many people who watch NCAA tournament that would go the the State Tournament if it was not at the same time. All they have to do is start the boys a week early when they typically have girls start, and they could start the girls tournament on the Friday before and have 2 days in between the girls and boys. Attendance would go up. I would go for sure every year, which I only go about a 1/4 of the time now, most years opting to watch ncaa on tv

You are right, I forgot about that,thanks for the correction J.Vaughan. It's true, single A and the rural areas bring the bigger crowds. But they usually leave after they watch their team. That does not equal a true fan. I personally watch everyone but I am a fan of West TN. Like I said in a earlier post, Tennessee has a terrible state tournament crowd. It's time for a new format, from beginning to end. Tennessee tries to keep everything so politically correct. Being from Indiana, I can remember Market Square Arena being sold out for the state tournament. 17,000 plus. But our Semi State, which is equivalent to Tennessee sub state, was held at one central location (Purdue University,Mackey Arena). We didn't have classes at that time. One state champion. It's time for a change. Each region could have their substate at one central location,Played on the same day. it would add to the excitement.

I am also a transplant from Indiana. You are wrong on one part of your post though. Before the switch to class championships, Indiana had 4 "Semi State" sites. Those sites each fed one representative to the "Final 4" which was played in one day at Hinkle Field House before moving to Market Square Arena, the to the RCA Dome, before moving to its current location.

I think that would be a great idea for the sectional round. An all day 6 game session of the best basketball that area has to offer. But i don't know if that really solves the problem. I have always thought that state should be a final 4. The sectional winners should play each other and then go on to Murfreesboro. I know a lot of people here in West Tenn won't like that because both our teams often times win a game at state but it will eliminate the all Memphis finals that have become a very poor draw.

I am also a transplant from Indiana. You are wrong on one part of your post though. Before the switch to class championships, Indiana had 4 "Semi State" sites. Those sites each fed one representative to the "Final 4" which was played in one day at Hinkle Field House before moving to Market Square Arena, the to the RCA Dome, before moving to its current location.

You are right, I just didn't add the rest of the details. My teams played at Purdue. I am from Northwest Indiana. :thumb:

Two things here. first the comment that the only thing going on in single A is newby and BTW was laughable! I need a good laugh every now and then so thanks for that. Glad you guys could drop down and "grace us with your presence".LOL Newby is the real deal and a great talent but we have seen great ones in Single A before, few years back Buckner from Manassas. BTW is a very good team but we have seen it in single A before as well. Single A basketball is typically very good and I know that many of last year's teams Lake Co., Middleton and CSAS could and did hold their own with bigger schools. The second point left out by everyone is the main reason for the rotation which is finances. The single A schools always playing first means they are spending the extra money on hotel,food etc. that the bigger schools are not due to playing later. The day off means extra money and if you got the early Wednesday games you are going up on a tuesday. Why not rotate so the smaller schools, who typically have smaller budgets, are not shelling out the mosrt money ALL the time.