McEwen VS. Collinwood

KC360

Haven't gotten to watch McEwen, but would anyone consider them the toughest match-up for any of the teams in State because of their size?

Ehh, we have one starter under 6". Then two about 6''1 or 6"2. The other two about 6"4. Two tall subs for the post as well. I don't really think it's size for our starters. All 5 starters can shoot, inside or 3's. Post has great moves inside as well. They go for the rebounds and are a quick team. Not to mention, when they need a tight man-to-man, they can own it. They have offense, defense, and agility. Size is a big factor for the subs. Their size allows them great opportunities they wouldn't have otherwise. But as for the starters, no.

Ehh, we have one starter under 6". Then two about 6''1 or 6"2. The other two about 6"4. Two tall subs for the post as well. I don't really think it's size for our starters. All 5 starters can shoot, inside or 3's. Post has great moves inside as well. They go for the rebounds and are a quick team. Not to mention, when they need a tight man-to-man, they can own it. They have offense, defense, and agility.

Size is a big factor for the subs. Their size allows them

great opportunities they wouldn't have otherwise. But as for

the starters, no.

Collinwood had the better team. If healthy and played anywhere else, they win by 10 plus. McEwen will be lucky to win first round. Any red worth his whistle will have their point guard fouled out by halftime. He's quick, but creates space by pushing and hooking with off hand. Prob won't fly in Murfreesboro. Cwood shot as bad as humanly possible (especially from the line) and still could have won. PC can beat them as bad as they want. They had no answer for Montgmery or Pigg, only survived by point blank misses. Good season for the Trojans. Future looks bright for the next couple of years. With all starters back, Cwood should be primed for a state Tourny run next year.

Edited by CulleokaCowboy

Ehh, we have one starter under 6". Then two about 6''1 or 6"2. The other two about 6"4. Two tall subs for the post as well. I don't really think it's size for our starters. All 5 starters can shoot, inside or 3's. Post has great moves inside as well. They go for the rebounds and are a quick team. Not to mention, when they need a tight man-to-man, they can own it. They have offense, defense, and agility. Size is a big factor for the subs. Their size allows them great opportunities they wouldn't have otherwise. But as for the starters, no.

McEwen's starting 5 are all quick with length which is why they are so good defensively. Here lately, the 6'5 and 6'6 kids we bring off the bench have been real sparks and have caused teams some problems while they are in. Congrats to Collinwood for making it this far. They played extremely hard tonight and didnt shy away from the big moment. They will be a force next year.

Collinwood had the better team. If healthy and played anywhere else, they win by 10 plus. McEwen will be lucky to win first round. Any red worth his whistle will have their point guard fouled out by halftime. He's quick, but creates space by pushing and hooking with off hand. Prob won't fly in Murfreesboro. Cwood shot as bad as humanly possible (especially from the line) and still could have won. PC can beat them as bad as they want. They had no answer for Montgmery or Pigg, only survived by point blank misses. Good season for the Trojans. Future looks bright for the next couple of years. With all starters back, Cwood should be primed for a state Tourny run next year.

Are you sure you were at the same game as everyone else?

I disagree by far. The game wasn't exactly the best for our boys seeing our main 3 shooter took a little bit to warm up and our post got fouled out & was missing shots he has been making all year, but McEwen still pulled out the win by 14. I didn't see anyone McEwen couldn't/didn't answer to. Most teams would have lost their composure at an 0-11 run, but our boys came back big- time to lead with 9 at half time. As far as those point blank misses? I must not have been at the same game. How about those swished 3's from Hooper and Mullinicks with guys right in their face? Collinwood is a good team and I give them props for making it this far but McEwen has a higher talent level that didn't truely shine tonight. Stay tuned with McEwen, would love to see them shock you by playing the game they play normally in state.

Edited by rachelwright14

Cowboy needs to get rid of his bias. McEwen is the better team by far. They were down 9-0 to WHH in the District Championship and then went on a 23-0 run. They have the poise to overcome bad starts and finish the game.

1st off congrats to McEwen on a state tourney bid. However, i dont see Mcewen competing at Murfresesboro. They had a size advantage on Cwood and were still out rebounded all night long. Montgomery and Pigg dominated underneath. If Cwood had been able to get a couple of shots to fall(especially a free throw) late in the 1st or in the 2nd at all I think Cwood would have led the whole game. Not taking anything away from McEwen. they did what they had to do to get the win and advance, but they really relied on the pg too much. the only penetration or passing came from him. the one kid hitting 5 threes was HUGE for McEwen, but 3 pt shooters usually struggle in the big open gym at the boro. if McEwen wants to play for a gold ball they need to be opposite of PC.

as stated before about the pg. I wouldnt be surprised to see him get called for a push off or two early on and get in foul trouble.. if he does McEwen is finished, they rely on him way to much to create and score, and even just get the ball up the floor. Good luck to them and congrats to Cwood on a great year. that was good experience for a young team to take with them.

again congrats to McEwen i think their boys program really needed this

I disagree by far. The game wasn't exactly the best for our boys seeing our main 3 shooter took a little bit to warm up and our post got fouled out & was missing shots he has been making all year, but McEwen still pulled out the win by 14. I didn't see anyone McEwen couldn't/didn't answer to. Most teams would have lost their composure at an 0-11 run, but our boys came back big- time to lead with 9 at half time. As far as those point blank misses? I must not have been at the same game. How about those swished 3's from Hooper and Mullinicks with guys right in their face? Collinwood is a good team and I give them props for making it this far but McEwen has a higher talent level that didn't truely shine tonight. Stay tuned with McEwen, would love to see them shock you by playing the game they play normally in state.

All I can say about this is that most ppl don't see the other teams misses, they just notice when the other team is gettin everything to fall. You sit there and hope they miss everytime they shot. So, when they do you don't notice how many times they miss. You just notice what your team does on offense. Congrats to McEwen and hope y'all do well. Congrats to Collinwood on a good year with young players.

1st off congrats to McEwen on a state tourney bid. However, i dont see Mcewen competing at Murfresesboro. They had a size advantage on Cwood and were still out rebounded all night long. Montgomery and Pigg dominated underneath. If Cwood had been able to get a couple of shots to fall(especially a free throw) late in the 1st or in the 2nd at all I think Cwood would have led the whole game. Not taking anything away from McEwen. they did what they had to do to get the win and advance, but they really relied on the pg too much. the only penetration or passing came from him. the one kid hitting 5 threes was HUGE for McEwen, but 3 pt shooters usually struggle in the big open gym at the boro. if McEwen wants to play for a gold ball they need to be opposite of PC.

as stated before about the pg. I wouldnt be surprised to see him get called for a push off or two early on and get in foul trouble.. if he does McEwen is finished, they rely on him way to much to create and score, and even just get the ball up the floor. Good luck to them and congrats to Cwood on a great year. that was good experience for a young team to take with them.

again congrats to McEwen i think their boys program really needed this

Our 2nd leading scorer and our go to guy (besides our PG) only played 10 minutes last night and had BY FAR his worst game of the year. He usually is a real matchup problem and takes pressure off of our PG because he is such a scoring threat. He is also our leading rebounder, which is the main reason Collinwood had success on the boards. As far as the push offs go, last night I saw no problem with anything Garrett did. Earlier in the season he was extending his arm and getting called for it, but he has completely went away from that. At one point he had his left arm stuck right against his jersey numbers and blew by his defender, and Collinwood's fans jumped up like he did something obvious when it was clear he didn't do anything. He is a smart kid and will be fine when it comes to foul issue. Garrett Mullinicks is our go to man, but Patrick Mullinicks is a top 20 single A player as well and he wasn't able to get going or even really play last night which limited McEwen tremendously.

Edited by KC360

Yep, you hit the nail on the head. For the record, PC DESTROYED their opponent, and I was told by a fellow coach this morning that Lake Co. and Booker T. are both better than PC. McEwen needs to enjoy while it lasts cause I don't think it's gonna last long.

PC beat the exact same opponent that McEwen beat. Both by 20.