Patton vs Charlie?

JSamson7

No there have been very good QBs at CAK. Epperly was very very good. High is the first great one. Every CAK QB has played at least one season of college football. Austin Peay, Western Carolina, UT twice (one walk on and one preferred walk on), and Princeton respectively. Where have the last few Maryville QBs gone before Patton? GQ has a way of making players look like studs but very few (I can't remember any outside of C. Thompson, T. Maples, C. Stewart and now Guillermo and Robinette) have had a shot at a big time school. I've obviously watched that CAK title game and I can only remember 1 instance in which a receiver outplayed a DB for a 50/50 ball too... I think this is a circle argument so I will stop but I do find people's opinions (when they're not bashing 17 or 18 year old kids) very fun to read. Last thing I'll say is I really do not believe for a second that Robinette has more physical tools outside of his height than High. High is an accomplished runner but is a pass first QB whereas I wouldn't necessarily list Robinette in that same category and High completed 74% of 484 pass attempts, which along with his other stats, give him the 7th or 8th best passing season in high school football history. Yes, CAK has produced good QBs but there's a reason none of them have ever gotten even close to what High was able to do this year, because he's the best CAK has had, and the best the PrepXtra area has seen in a very long time.

I'm not bashing High At all because like i've said they are both great high school QB's. We just have def opinion's is all and i've watched both play multiple times. You left out quite of few people from Maryville that have went on and played D1 ball. Aaron Douglas was the main one along with Brent Burnette (QB at MTSU and then went to Colorado), Chris Jordan (AF), Stephen Shiver (UT-Martin). Thats just from the past 5 years

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No there have been very good QBs at CAK. Epperly was very very good. High is the first great one. Every CAK QB has played at least one season of college football. Austin Peay, Western Carolina, UT twice (one walk on and one preferred walk on), and Princeton respectively. Where have the last few Maryville QBs gone before Patton? GQ has a way of making players look like studs but very few (I can't remember any outside of C. Thompson, T. Maples, C. Stewart and now Guillermo and Robinette) have had a shot at a big time school. I've obviously watched that CAK title game and I can only remember 1 instance in which a receiver outplayed a DB for a 50/50 ball too... I think this is a circle argument so I will stop but I do find people's opinions (when they're not bashing 17 or 18 year old kids) very fun to read. Last thing I'll say is I really do not believe for a second that Robinette has more physical tools outside of his height than High. High is an accomplished runner but is a pass first QB whereas I wouldn't necessarily list Robinette in that same category and High completed 74% of 484 pass attempts, which along with his other stats, give him the 7th or 8th best passing season in high school football history. Yes, CAK has produced good QBs but there's a reason none of them have ever gotten even close to what High was able to do this year, because he's the best CAK has had, and the best the PrepXtra area has seen in a very long time.

Maybe a few folks should pick up on the fact that I said I hope High does well, so I'm not entirely bashing him. I simply stated he's not as good as Patton & YES I did plan on stirring the pot with this thread. That's what CoachT is for, right?

In regards to players from Maryville going to D1 schools, Aaron Douglas, Brad Hilshire, Chuck Prugh, Nick Black, Gary Tucker, Brent Burnette, Isaac Simerly, & a few others come to mind who you seemed to have left out.

As far as Maryville QB's, you can't forget Toki McCray. As a Mr. Football runner up, he went to NC State & was projected to start as a RS Freshman after Jamie Barnett graduated. Unfortunately his HC got canned right after losing their season finale to UNC, the school brought in Chuck Amatto from FSU, & then they signed Phillip Rivers who came out of high school as a Sr. to participate in spring practice. The 2 battled it out for the starting QB role under the watchful eye of Norm Chow for 2 weeks, but there aren't many QB's better than Rivers even on the NFL level so we know who won that battle. McCray went on to transfer to Eastern Kentucky & did just fine over there.

Edited by JSamson7

If High gets a scholarship offer from UT, good for him..... that doesn't take anything away from Robinette because he didn't get offered by UT. He is getting his chance to play college football so no need to feel sorry for him..... after all, he is getting a free education at Vanderbilt,

I would echo what other folks have said..... IMO, High is the better pure passer, Robinette is the better runner. Totally different style of players, but you can't argue with their success. Robinette reminds me of Phillips that played a few years back at Sullivan South and signed with Wisconsin whereas High is more like a Brent Burnette style pocket passer style qb. If it were me, I would choose High if I were running a pro style offense and Robinette if I were running the spread option style offense.

I remember a guy like that: IF he had been a few inches taller; IF he had been quite a bit heavier; If he had been a little stronger; IF he had been a little meaner; IF he had been more of a leader; IF he had been a little tougher; IF he had worked harder; IF he had been a little smarter...

THEN he would have been as good as some other players out there. BTW...that guy was me! :blush:

Yeah, murvil's qb was not that impressive last year. Are you kidding me? He was the best player on the field in every game they played in last year (except the last one - IMO). And that was playing with the "big boys". :bored:

Good post ox.

Okay, so what exactly is the point of your thread? You start by asking which QB is better, when according to you, it's a no-brainer. So why even make a thread about it? Are you just angry that the hometown school didn't offer your team's QB, but they just so happen to have an interest in somebody else's? Seems like a petty attempt to vent your frustration over something that really doesn't even matter. Robinette is getting his shot at a big school, in the SEC none the less. If UT really did miss out him, then I'm sure they'll regret it sooner rather than later. And if that's truly the reason behind your post, then why even bring Charlie High into it? Propping up Robinette and using that as a reason to put down High is asinine. Both are/were excellent players at the high school level. Robinette making it to the Elite 11 camp doesn't change that fact. Why some schools have an interest in one or the other is between those schools' staffs and the players.

A voice in the wilderness that could speak to many a thread on the T.

I remember a guy like that: IF he had been a few inches taller; IF he had been quite a bit heavier; If he had been a little stronger; IF he had been a little meaner; IF he had been more of a leader; IF he had been a little tougher; IF he had worked harder; IF he had been a little smarter...

THEN he would have been as good as some other players out there. BTW...that guy was me! :blush:

Yeah, murvil's qb was not that impressive last year. Are you kidding me? He was the best player on the field in every game they played in last year (except the last one - IMO). And that was playing with the "big boys". :bored:

Soooo what you're telling me is that IF Robinette was a little better, THEN Tennessee would've recruited him like they are Charlie High? Thats what I took from this post... :thumb:

As good as Charlie High is I don't know if he is any better than Quinn Epperly. Epperly was a stud also. CAK and Maryville have been blessed with outstanding quarterbacks. Both CAK and Maryville have great quarterback coaches. I think who ever takes the snaps under center for Maryville next year will turn out to be a very good quarterback.