My annual Tuesday morning rant - and we won this year!

davidlimbaugh

Powers-Limbaugh plan or status quo?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Powers-Limbaugh post-season plan or status quo?

• Powers-Limbaugh plan
    • Leave it as is

My annual rant. Let me get my soapbox in place...

TSSAA's Post-Season baseball situation is terrible.

One-and-Done Monday's and Friday and a 'sell cokes or buy gas' Wednesday's isn't fair to the kids and especially to #1 pitchers.

A #1 throws on a Monday, then on Friday with 3 days rest, then on Tuesday in Murfreesboro on 3 days rest and if they make the finals on Friday on 2 days rest.

And we are being cheated out of some great baseball games. This isn't softball where the same pitcher pitches every game or football where the quarterback plays every game. This is baseball, where a team is only as good as the man on the hill that day.

GREAT Example? Riverdale vs Columbia. Last year a UT Commitment, Hayden Stone, out-dueled this year's MTSU Saturday starter, Jonathan Frebis, 1-0. Each team had 3 hits but one of Columbia's hits was a double.

This year a Georgia Tech signee, Jonathan King, out-pitched that same UT commitment. King only gave up 2 hits while Stone gave up 3. Difference in the game was that King also had 2 of the 3 hits, including a double. Ronnie Stephens got the third hit for Riverdale. It happened to come in the same inning as King's double to drive in the only run.

Lions ousted as King outduels Stone

King tames Lions; Warriors move on

IMHO, One and done baseball isn't fair to the kids. (and we won this time)

The Answer? The Buddy and David plan, that we have tried to get put into place for a decade now.

Take 7AAA and 8AAA for example for Region 4.

Imagine a Friday afternoon at Grider in Tullahoma (because it is an even year).

Columbia vs Riverdale and then Siegel vs Tullahoma. Talk about a great crowd and awesome atmosphere!

On Saturday, Columbia plays Siegel and then Riverdale plays Tullahoma.

On Monday, Winner of Columbia vs Siegel plays loser of Riverdale vs Tullahoma and

winner of that game then plays winner of Riverdale vs Tullahoma.

On Tuesday you play IF game if necessary.

Then a week off for the winner to rest the arms before Spring Fling....

This would make for some great baseball. Fun baseball. And a lot more fair to the kids.... And isn't this supposed to be about the kids????

Edited by davidlimbaugh

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One-and-Done Monday's and Friday and a 'sell cokes or buy gas' Wednesday's isn't fair to the kids and especially to #1 pitchers.

A #1 throws on a Monday, then on Friday with 3 days rest, then on Tuesday in Murfreesboro on 3 days rest and if they make the finals on Friday on 2 days rest.

And we are being cheated out of some great baseball games. This isn't softball where the same pitcher pitches every game or football where the quarterback plays every game. This is baseball, where a team is only as good as the man on the hill that day.

GREAT Example? Riverdale vs Columbia. Last year a UT Commitment, Hayden Stone, out-dueled this year's MTSU Saturday starter, Jonathan Frebis, 1-0. Each team had 3 hits but one of Columbia's hits was a double.

This year a Georgia Tech signee, Jonathan King, out-pitched that same UT commitment. King only gave up 2 hits while Stone gave up 3. Difference in the game was that King also had 2 of the 3 hits, including a double. Ronnie Stephens got the third hit for Riverdale. It happened to come in the same inning as King's double to drive in the only run.

The Answer? The Buddy and David plan, that we have tried to get put into place for a decade now.

Columbia vs Riverdale and then Siegel vs Tullahoma. Talk about a great crowd and awesome atmosphere!

On Monday, Winner of Columbia vs Siegel plays loser of Riverdale vs Tullahoma and

This would make for some great baseball. Fun baseball. And a lot more fair to the kids.... And isn't this supposed to be about the kids????

Love the concept of this scenario, but the problem is that there are certain regions of the state that would never be for it. For example, the AAA schools in Knoxville will never go for this because of Farragut. Nine times out of ten Farragut will go to the state, which would leave every other school without an opportunity to make it over a school from a different region. Now, the two districts in your scenario are great because these teams are very competitive and there is not that dominate team every year. There are other baseball factories at different levels that create the same problem as Farragut in Knoxville. Just my two cents, which isn't worth a much. Congrats on the win Limbaugh.

Edited by orangecrush

while I like your concept better than what is currently in place,

this quote has no merit...

"One-and-Done Monday's and Friday and a 'sell cokes or buy gas' Wednesday's isn't fair to the kids and especially to #1 pitchers.

A #1 throws on a Monday, then on Friday with 3 days rest, then on Tuesday in Murfreesboro on 3 days rest and if they make the finals on Friday on 2 days rest."

that's why you have number #2 and #3 and #4 pitchers, it's a team game

I agree with you that one and done is just not baseball. Baseball is a game that is much about endurance and depth as it is an individual pitching star.

I don't know how you would do it, but I would love to see either a double elimination tourney format or a best two of three once it gets to region level. With the ability to play double headers, it really wouldn't extend the season by much to do that.

And think about the extra revenue the TSSAA could generate by doing that. (said with tongue planted firmly in cheek)

If it's a team game, why don't we set it up as such? David's scenario absolutely happens, particularly for teams with a #1 who is better on 3 days rest than their #2. There are no pitch counts or days rest requirements in the rules, so a coach can and will trot that stud pitcher out there on short rest if that's all he's got.

Pool play, double elimination tournament or 3 game series are all better concepts that what we have which invites coaches to abuse a pitcher's arm for that short period of time to get to state. Once there, you'll see some 20-2 games and numerous mercy rule games when the pitching give out in a double elimination, every day format. AND...........it can be fixed. Just need the gonads to do it.

I agree with you that one and done is just not baseball. Baseball is a game that is much about endurance and depth as it is an individual pitching star.

I don't know how you would do it, but I would love to see either a double elimination tourney format or a best two of three once it gets to region level. With the ability to play double headers, it really wouldn't extend the season by much to do that.

And think about the extra revenue the TSSAA could generate by doing that. (said with tongue planted firmly in cheek)

HTV, that's the real selling point...extra money for TSSAA. If you could convince them that more money could be generated by a different format they would change it. It has happened in other sports, like track. If there is money they (TSSAA) will come!

Well whatever Coach is throwing his #1 that much is an Idiot...Its a team Game, so throw someone else...NOW if you want to say the One and Done is bad for a team who has a great year to get knocked out on Monday because of one bad game then yeah it needs to be tweaked, but this crap about riding one guy to a state championship is BULL as well...IMO...now Ill get off my soapbox:}

while I like your concept better than what is currently in place,

this quote has no merit...

"One-and-Done Monday's and Friday and a 'sell cokes or buy gas' Wednesday's isn't fair to the kids and especially to #1 pitchers.

A #1 throws on a Monday, then on Friday with 3 days rest, then on Tuesday in Murfreesboro on 3 days rest and if they make the finals on Friday on 2 days rest."

that's why you have number #2 and #3 and #4 pitchers, it's a team game

You haven't been around high school baseball in Tennessee very long if you think that is the case. I guarantee you over 90% of kids that start on Monday will start on Friday. I know for a fact most of those kids will turn around and pitch on Tuesday in Murfreesboro and if they make the finals will pitch again on Friday. Don't take my word for it - check out the box scores for previous Spring Flings and see who started the Championship games and when they pitched before that day....

Start with 2006

http://www.tssaa.org/2005Champions/StateBaseball/ClassA/Game13.htm

Check out box scores for Games 1 and 3

Check out AAA championship game that same year - may have been one of the greatest pitching performances on two days rest in history.

http://www.tssaa.org/2005Champions/StateBaseball/ClassAAA/Game15.htm

Rob Catapano threw 14 shutout innings in four days.

That is why a lot of coaches like the current system. They hope they get a huge arm and can ride him to the state tournament.

Edited by davidlimbaugh

Well whatever Coach is throwing his #1 that much is an Idiot...Its a team Game, so throw someone else...NOW if you want to say the One and Done is bad for a team who has a great year to get knocked out on Monday because of one bad game then yeah it needs to be tweaked, but this crap about riding one guy to a state championship is BULL as well...IMO...now Ill get off my soapbox:}

You also haven't been around high school baseball in Tennessee very long...

It isn't crap. Ask Tullahoma's Brian Morris. Farragut's Rob Catapano. Drew Hayes. Mikie Minor. The list is long. I know - I saw all of them throw....

Just about every #1 throwing Monday will throw again on Friday. And the ones that win will throw on Tuesday hoping to throw on Friday. I bet you can not find 10 pitchers throwing this Friday that did not throw Monday across A, AA and AAA.

This puts teams that were rained out last night at a HUGE disadvantage. Another reason this format is terrible...

Right. Arguing about the philosophy of riding a #1 stud in the post season is semantical if TSSAA gets on board with team play and player's health. I mean, they've shortened the regular season to 30 games. Most #1's are throwing once a week in district games and that's it. Then they go to twice a week in post season. Heck, if this Wednesday's game wasn't a seeding game, some of these guys would be throwing on Monday and Wednesday and Friday to get to State.

It's bad enough that the Wednesday game doesn't mean anything when a double elimination region tournament would force teams to use their pitching which is what they're going to have to have at state. Two games Monday, two games Tuesday (one team eliminated), elimination game on Wednesday, seeding game on Thursday with if game as needed. One site per region. More butts in seats. More $$$.

It seems like a no-brainer.

Right. Arguing about the philosophy of riding a #1 stud in the post season is semantical if TSSAA gets on board with team play and player's health. I mean, they've shortened the regular season to 30 games. Most #1's are throwing once a week in district games and that's it. Then they go to twice a week in post season. Heck, if this Wednesday's game wasn't a seeding game, some of these guys would be throwing on Monday and Wednesday and Friday to get to State.

It's bad enough that the Wednesday game doesn't mean anything when a double elimination region tournament would force teams to use their pitching which is what they're going to have to have at state. Two games Monday, two games Tuesday (one team eliminated), elimination game on Wednesday, seeding game on Thursday with if game as needed. One site per region. More butts in seats. More $$$.

It seems like a no-brainer.

I want to move it back a few days. Start on Friday. Losers and winners on Saturday. Sunday off for makeup. Losers bracket final and championship on Monday. IF game on Tuesday. This lets coaches who want to throw #1 on Friday to throw him again on Tuesday with 3 days rest - same as we have now. But this give the rest of the week to makeup or rest for spring fling the next week. What I have always found as odd is that we make kids throw like this in baseball but boys basketball gets a week off between substate and state tournament. :unsure: