GRACE VS UNAKA AND ROCKWOOD VS NORTH GREEN

baseball100

The 2004 Harriman team was also very good. Lost only six games that season and three were to USJ, two in the state tournament. I think without USJ that they would have won the state.

I hate to rain on your parade, but the 2004 Harriman team lost to Unaka 4-2 in substate...

Edited by crazzyness

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it was 05 when they went 33-6 and made it to the final four... scratch USJ and a very probable state title

Just my opinion, but there were 3 teams just as good if not better than Harriman on the other side of the bracket. Aside from USJ, the bracket Harriman was in that year was cake.

Edited by crazzyness

I remember that 2004 game. Jason Eble pitched great for Harriman that day and there was one inning where Unaka hit a couple of slow rollers that turned into infield singles then I think the catcher came up with a single up the middle that proved to be the game winner.

But that goes back to what someone said about avoiding the 9 or 10 Ks. Putting the ball in play will be huge today because strange things can happen. I think it was 2001 when Rockwood's Robert Gilmore threw a no-hitter in the sectional against University High and lost thanks to one bad inning with a walk or two, a hit batter and a huge dropped fly ball to right with two outs. How would you like to tell the grandkids the story of pitching a no-hitter and losing with a state tournament berth on the line.

Hey Goose let me help you get some facts straight. I happen to know the washburn coach real well. Unaka scored 19 runs and Whs only had 2 errors. It was not a matter of quote "stinking it up." The first batter of the game hit the second pitch out of sight, no error there. They had 3 homeruns in the first inning. Believe it or not no errors on them either. They pounded the baseball! Their number 1,4, and 5 hitters hit a homerun on decent pitches. Unaka is a good baseball team and they beat our tail. They won the game, we didnt lose it. Whs also played Rockwood this yr in a DH. Rockwood is a very good team as well. I think Unaka and Rockwood are very similar. As for 2001, you are wrong again my friend, Rockwood came to Washburn and won 5-1 to move on to the state. Good luck to all teams tonight!

Hey Goose let me help you get some facts straight. I happen to know the washburn coach real well. Unaka scored 19 runs and Whs only had 2 errors. It was not a matter of quote "stinking it up." The first batter of the game hit the second pitch out of sight, no error there. They had 3 homeruns in the first inning. Believe it or not no errors on them either. They pounded the baseball! Their number 1,4, and 5 hitters hit a homerun on decent pitches. Unaka is a good baseball team and they beat our tail. They won the game, we didnt lose it. Whs also played Rockwood this yr in a DH. Rockwood is a very good team as well. I think Unaka and Rockwood are very similar. As for 2001, you are wrong again my friend, Rockwood came to Washburn and won 5-1 to move on to the state. Good luck to all teams tonight!

I said I think it was 2001, didn't say for a fact. I've watched thousands of games in my job over the years and it's hard to remember years right off the top of my head that's why I said I think it was 2001.

As far as the Unaka/Washburn game, Unaka had only seven hits, they had nine runners reach base on walks that scored plus three batters were hit by pitches that scored. A total of 12 guys were hit by pitches or walked in the first two innings and all 12 scored. That to me is "Stinking it up". And yes Washburn only had two errors. So basically, nine guys reached base by making contact with the ball. If only nine guys reach safely from making contact then there's no way 19 runs should score in two innings.

I said I think it was 2001, didn't say for a fact. I've watched thousands of games in my job over the years and it's hard to remember years right off the top of my head that's why I said I think it was 2001.

Goose, 2001 was actually a pretty good guess. Rockwood lost the no-hitter game in 02.

Question for Goose - who do you think would have taken a best of 3 series between the 05 Harriman team and the 99 Rockwood team?

Both teams were the last public school standing in single A those years. I have always believed that had Rockwood not committed a few errors late to let USJ win that opening round game in 99, Rockwood had the pitching to win the 2nd game against FRA, and would have been waiting in the championship game for USJ or FRA. I am not sure Rockwood's 3 or 4 could have beaten USJ/FRA 4 or 5 in the championship game or the if necessary game, but that would have been the closest a Roane County team has been to a state championship since Kingston finished runner up in 93.

Anyway, the 05 HHS team and 99 RHS teams are the best I have seen in Roane County in 25 plus years (this side of Kingston's 93 and 98 squads). Which do you think was the better squad?

Goose, 2001 was actually a pretty good guess. Rockwood lost the no-hitter game in 02.

Question for Goose - who do you think would have taken a best of 3 series between the 05 Harriman team and the 99 Rockwood team?

Both teams were the last public school standing in single A those years. I have always believed that had Rockwood not committed a few errors late to let USJ win that opening round game in 99, Rockwood had the pitching to win the 2nd game against FRA, and would have been waiting in the championship game for USJ or FRA. I am not sure Rockwood's 3 or 4 could have beaten USJ/FRA 4 or 5 in the championship game or the if necessary game, but that would have been the closest a Roane County team has been to a state championship since Kingston finished runner up in 93.

Anyway, the 05 HHS team and 99 RHS teams are the best I have seen in Roane County in 25 plus years (this side of Kingston's 93 and 98 squads). Which do you think was the better squad?

I don't know who would have won those, but that would have been some good baseball. Both teams were solid all the way around and expected to win every time out no matter who they played. The funny thing about the Harriman/Rockwood series is that there have been only a couple of years where they were even. Most of the time one was better and the other was a year away.

Grace outscored district opponents 209-32 this season. That's an average win of 16-2. Are the Rams that dominant, or is District 3-A that poor this year?

They're pretty much dominant. They're have been better teams in the district in years past, but they're clearly the best Class A school in East Tennessee this year. The have three aces and they can rip the baseball. Could make a run in Murfreesboro.

They're pretty much dominant. They're have been better teams in the district in years past, but they're clearly the best Class A school in East Tennessee this year. The have three aces and they can rip the baseball. Could make a run in Murfreesboro.

Do y'all think Grace will make the final four? Or will they be another classic example of how weak upper east Tennessee single A ball is? Has upper east Tennessee sent a team to the final four since the tournament was expanded to 8 teams? I'm only saying upper east Tennessee because I know Chattanooga has sent Boyd and South Pitt to the final four the last few years