Poor Umpires In Tullahoma

wildcatdude

Two great teams battled last night in Tullahoma for 10 innings. And 1 great team won. These are the facts. Now, It is really hard to explain how Tullahoma has 11 walks and Riverdale only 2? That is to one sided. Tullahoma has great pitching, and stats to prove it. This is not taking anything away from the Riverdale team, They played a great game. When a pitcher cant figure out where to throw a pitch for a strike, It does'nt matter who is pitching, its a no win. All of our pitchers had to go high in the count in batters because of poor calls. Several pitches were right down the middle belt high and called balls and then 1 pitch later it was a strike? I am so proud of our players because they battled even through all of the bad calls and had chances to win it. The WIldcats will put this behind them and head to East Tennesssee to face Walker Valley Friday night. STATE BOUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two great teams battled last night in Tullahoma for 10 innings. And 1 great team won. These are the facts. Now, It is really hard to explain how Tullahoma has 11 walks and Riverdale only 2? That is to one sided. Tullahoma has great pitching, and stats to prove it. This is not taking anything away from the Riverdale team, They played a great game. When a pitcher cant figure out where to throw a pitch for a strike, It does'nt matter who is pitching, its a no win. All of our pitchers had to go high in the count in batters because of poor calls. Several pitches were right down the middle belt high and called balls and then 1 pitch later it was a strike? I am so proud of our players because they battled even through all of the bad calls and had chances to win it. The WIldcats will put this behind them and head to East Tennesssee to face Walker Valley Friday night. STATE BOUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are playing at home if their are any calls to get they go to the home team. Pretty simple answer to your question why Tullahoma had 11 walks and Riverdale 2. Riverdale threw strikes and Tullahoma threw balls. If you think it was bad last night wait and see what you get in East TN.

If you think it was bad last night wait and see what you get in East TN.

Yep. I saw an umpire at a district tourney grab his crotch and shake it at the Dad of a player and openly challenge him to "come get some" while arguing with the Dad from his position behind first base. The Dad obviously should have kept his cool, but there is no place for that from any umpire at any level of baseball.

The other two umpires who were working the game, of course, saw and heard nothing when later asked by the umpire supervisor.

Most umpires are good people and do an honest job. A very few, however, have no business being out there.

You are playing at home if their are any calls to get they go to the home team. Pretty simple answer to your question why Tullahoma had 11 walks and Riverdale 2. Riverdale threw strikes and Tullahoma threw balls. If you think it was bad last night wait and see what you get in East TN.

That is not true. Our pitchers throw strikes and they have very good control. Usually you can figure out what the ump is giving on the plate. Last night it was all over the place never the same not fair to pitchers who were working their tails off trying to find the right location. And the answer to the question is YES (I do think a plate ump can take a pitcher out of their game)

Really dont have an idea where you get the statement you made about the home team always gets the close ones, if there are any??? Just a few thoughts here.

1. The umpire crews working the region and substate games are coming from across the state to work at locations where they do NOT call regularly. Some travel as far as a hundred miles to work the games. So, home cooking is NOT a factor! This crew was from another entire region. No favorites with this one, I bet. Some umpires have different strikes zones that maybe the ones these pitchers were used to working with. Who knows what happened???

2. Would your thoughts have been any different if the walk count would have been reversed? I would bet that it just might!

3> All the umpires I know do their best at all times. Some just arent as proficient at the job as others, some are more experienced, etc. We all have bad days just the players umpires, and yes even the coaches.

4. I do know one thing for sure...a fan sitting up in the bleachers or a coach over in the dugout, sure must have a whole lot better look at the pitches than the umpire standing right behind the plate!!!

5. Best of luck to both teams on Friday night and in the state tourn.

6. Let he players decide the outcome on the field and just cheer them ALL on!!! They have worked hard to get to this point!

• Upvote 1

Really dont have an idea where you get the statement you made about the home team always gets the close ones, if there are any??? Just a few thoughts here.

1. The umpire crews working the region and substate games are coming from across the state to work at locations where they do NOT call regularly. Some travel as far as a hundred miles to work the games. So, home cooking is NOT a factor! This crew was from another entire region. No favorites with this one, I bet. Some umpires have different strikes zones that maybe the ones these pitchers were used to working with. Who knows what happened???

2. Would your thoughts have been any different if the walk count would have been reversed? I would bet that it just might!

3> All the umpires I know do their best at all times. Some just arent as proficient at the job as others, some are more experienced, etc. We all have bad days just the players umpires, and yes even the coaches.

4. I do know one thing for sure...a fan sitting up in the bleachers or a coach over in the dugout, sure must have a whole lot better look at the pitches than the umpire standing right behind the plate!!!

5. Best of luck to both teams on Friday night and in the state tourn.

6. Let he players decide the outcome on the field and just cheer them ALL on!!! They have worked hard to get to this point!

Yes you are right "let the players decide the outcome on the field" Cant do that if the outcome is blured by bad calls. Yes the umpire does have a better view, but when the catcher is setup in the middle of the plate knee high on a 3-0 count and the ball hits the mit without any movement is that a strike or not? That is my point.Yes they have worked hard to get to this point, and that is why im so pissed off that their hard work is placed in the hands of a blind umpire................

Yes you are right "let the players decide the outcome on the field" Cant do that if the outcome is blured by bad calls. Yes the umpire does have a better view, but when the catcher is setup in the middle of the plate knee high on a 3-0 count and the ball hits the mit without any movement is that a strike or not? That is my point.Yes they have worked hard to get to this point, and that is why im so pissed off that their hard work is placed in the hands of a blind umpire................

Preaching to the choir here, saw it most the year with taking bats out of their hands with 4 inches off being strikes. Although some teams do adjust , get up on the plate & go oppo. Even if it goes both ways, it's still wrong.

That is not true. Our pitchers throw strikes and they have very good control. Usually you can figure out what the ump is giving on the plate. Last night it was all over the place never the same not fair to pitchers who were working their tails off trying to find the right location. And the answer to the question is YES (I do think a plate ump can take a pitcher out of their game)

I don't usually get on here to debate games or respond to rants over umpires etc. but this time I am making an exception. Let me provide some insight as to what may have attributed to your high walk count:

1st = 2 Walks and 1 HBP

2nd = 1 Walk

5th = 2 Walks

8th = 1 Walk 1 HBP 1 Intentional Walk

9th = 1 Walk

10th = 1 Intentional Walk 1 HBP and 3 Walks

The leadoff hitter was intentionally walked twice. I am guessing that the 3 hit batters jumped in front of strikes. Ask the kid with his eye swollen shut about "very good control". The umpires missed calls on both sides. You have a great team but lost. It is unfortunate anyone had to lose because it was one of the best high school games I have watched. Good luck with Walker Valley and win the most important one.

Edited by govols10

I don't usually get on here to debate games or respond to rants over umpires etc. but this time I am making an exception. Let me provide some insight as to what may have attributed to your high walk count:

1st = 2 Walks and 1 HBP

2nd = 1 Walk

5th = 2 Walks

8th = 1 Walk 1 HBP 1 Intentional Walk

9th = 1 Walk

10th = 1 Intentional Walk 1 HBP and 3 Walks

The leadoff hitter was intentionally walked twice. I am guessing that the 3 hit batters jumped in front of strikes. Ask the kid with his eye swollen shut about "very good control". The umpires missed calls on both sides. You have a great team but lost. It is unfortunate anyone had to lose because it was one of the best high school games I have watched. Good luck with Walker Valley and win the most important one.

Yes you are right I did forget about the intentional walks so take those away and you still have 9 walks. Riverdale also had an intenional walk so that = 1 walk for them. I know the umps missed calls both ways but the plate umpire was in another world and it was obvious. Even with that you are also right that it was a great game. Thanks for the good luck. We will take care of business tomorrow.