Marshall County Mess

Croach

TSNSports has learned that three Marshall County Tigers football coaches, including the head coach have been dismissed by the county's school director.

Reports to TSN say it boles down to salary increases allegedly promised for assistant coaches by principal Roy Dukes worked out with the head coach Tom Turchetta.

According to reports when coach Turchetta arrived at MCHS two years ago he was given additional money for his assistant coaches by Dukes without the approval from the school system. 

The reports to TSN indicated Dukes apparently allowed the increases without consulting with the school system and when the figures were later questioned, school director Jackie Abernathy released the coaches.

The action was at NO fault of the coach.

We have also learned that coach Turchetta reportedly will fight the director's decision.

This has hit the team hard. One report is it is like a death in the family. 

Marshall County Tiger players have called a meeting today to discuss the matter and to rally around their coaches.

Around 1/2 of the Tigers football team took their concerns to the Marshall County Board of Education Friday morning. Members told WAXO radio's Bob Smartt that they were told, by the director of schools, to contact the systems legal team. When they made the call the representative gave "no comment".

WAXO radio also made an attempt to obtain a press release and were told there will NOT be one forthcoming.

This couldn't have come at the worse time with football season just a few months away.

TSN has been unable to reach head coach Tom Turchetta, but we'll have more on this story.

Not that it matters just wanted to know.Who am I kidding yeah it matters.Less than three months left till the season starts.According to the story above if anyone should be fired its the principle.But that's just me going by the story above.Feel sorry for all the players.

Edited by bobcat93

Not that it matters just wanted to know.Who am I kidding yeah it matters.Less than three months left till the season starts.According to the story above if anyone should be fired its the principle.But that's just me going by the story above.Feel sorry for all the players.

Male or female doesn't matter, what matters is the type of background they have. If you have a director that was brought up education/sports oriented then imo they will be more apt to put more of an emphasis on both education and athletics. Someone without sports in their life will lean more toward just education. But that is a whole new can of worms.

Male or female doesn't matter, what matters is the type of background they have. If you have a director that was brought up education/sports oriented then imo they will be more apt to put more of an emphasis on both education and athletics. Someone without sports in their life will lean more toward just education. But that is a whole new can of worms.

The important factor in any successful school is community support combined with community enthusiasm. Football is the first sport of the new year. It involves a higher number of students both active and in supporting roles. The success or failure of the team transcends into the community and into the hallways. Show me a program that CONSISTENTLY fields a competitive football team and I'll show you a school and community blessed with positive direction and attitudes.

Not that I care at all about MC but if the football program continues to tank the academics will suffer and the court rooms will need to be enlarged....... :ph34r:

Let me add some clarity to this matter:

1. The TSSAA regulations state that all monies (salaries) paid to a coach MUST BE APPROVED BY THE SCHOOL BOARD. So if there are extra funds paid by outside sources, the school board must approve of the payments.

I know of coaches who earn beyond the scheduled supplement, it happens in big programs around the state but for it to be legal the school board must approve of the increase and know the source of the payments. One would think that since the former Director of Schools, Roy Duke knew about the payments the coaching staff and principal would have assumed that it was OK since the DOS is the chief financial operating officer in public schools in TN? Could it be the Board is using the new Director to clean up some mess created by the outgoing Director of Schools?

I think there is more to the story than is being reported.

2. Any non-tenured employee may be dismissed without stated reason at the end of the school year, before July 1st without recourse. The Head Coach may have legal recourse to file a complaint against the Director of Schools but only if he is tenured teacher in the school system. It sucks for him and his three assistant coaches who were cut but that's the deal.

Marshall County will be OK when the smoke clears. It will be an emotional rollercoaster for some members of the team who will have to adjust to the changes but it will happen. Some may quit in protest but they will only be hurting themselves. The biggest problem will be for the new coach (whoever gets the job). The challenge of winning over the team and getting past the negativity resulting from the way the change went down will require skill and patients.

Edited by OldStoneFort

Let me add some clarity to this matter:

1. The TSSAA regulations state that all monies (salaries) paid to a coach MUST BE APPROVED BY THE SCHOOL BOARD. So if there are extra funds paid by outside sources, the school board must approve of the payments.

I know of coaches who earn beyond the scheduled supplement, it happens in big programs around the state but for it to be legal the school board must approve of the increase and know the source of the payments. One would think that since the former Director of Schools, Roy Duke knew about the payments the coaching staff and principal would have assumed that it was OK since the DOS is the chief financial operating officer in public schools in TN? Could it be the Board is using the new Director to clean up some mess created by the outgoing Director of Schools?

I think there is more to the story than is being reported.

2. Any non-tenured employee may be dismissed without stated reason at the end of the school year, before July 1st without recourse. The Head Coach may have legal recourse to file a complaint against the Director of Schools but only if he is tenured teacher in the school system. It sucks for him and his three assistant coaches who were cut but that's the deal.

Marshall County will be OK when the smoke clears. It will be an emotional rollercoaster for some members of the team who will have to adjust to the changes but it will happen. Some may quit in protest but they will only be hurting themselves. The biggest problem will be for the new coach (whoever gets the job). The challenge of winning over the team and getting past the negativity resulting from the way the change went down will require skill and patients.

Everything stated above looks legit, but is the principal not at fault here as well, since he made the agreement with the HC and the assts as mentioned earlier or sisi that just rummor?

Everything stated above looks legit, but is the principal not at fault here as well, since he made the agreement with the HC and the assts as mentioned earlier or sisi that just rummor?

Let's get a couple things straight. As of now, only two coaches have been let go over the money deal. The other one involved is tenured and is still employed as of now. The asst. Principal/coach was let go as well but it had NOTHING to do with getting paid extra money. As an administrator, he didn't even receive a supplement. His departure was to free up his spot for someone at central office. Just wanted to clear up some of the misinformation.