Marshall County Mess

Croach

The "Marshall County Mess" could actually be a shot across the bow to a lot of programs. With money tight, I suspect more school administrations will look to cut sports budgets. It will be a huge mistake.

The principal of Columbia Central gave a interview in 2010 that should become the poster video for football programs. I am trying to find the link. It was either Thursday Night Lights or the T$$AA title game. In brief he responded to a question about the positive changes occurring at Columbia Central. He talked about how the success of the football team impacted the entire forthcoming school year. It wassup the 1st sport played. The numbers impact the most students, faculty, and the community of any other sport. It sets the "tone" for the new school year promoting team work and working towards success as a group. That man has a clue! Name one academically successful high school that does not have a football program that year after year fields a competitive team. No one hit wonders. Consistently. Name one. Now look at the school's community. Positive things going on there also. Real life stuff.

Remember the kid that couldn't play the flute because his parents were afraid a fly might make its way down his throat and choke him? Remember the tattle tails? Remember those younguns that were rushed to the ER because of a scraped Knee? Remember the ones who would cry when they were "tagged it" and refused to pass along the "cooties"? They now make up a good portion of your politicians and administrators!

MCHS will suffer because of this. Lewisburg will suffer because of this. Marshall County will suffer because of this. And, it may just be coming to a community near you soon........ :ph34r:

I tend to, like you, agree with what the Columbia Principal was saying in the interview you're referring to. It must be noted that, rightly or wrongly (because I have very little knowledge of the details), that the Columbia Principal was not retained after this past school year was over. He was in the position for two years and when you saw that interview during the championship game he had yet to finish his first semester on the job at Columbia and probably had very little to do with any success of the football program since that staff had been in place for a while when he arrived... Again, I agree with his statement and am not advocating or disagreeing with him not retaining his job and it also worth noting that I heard alot of the students really liked him as their principal. I just thought those facts should he noted since you brought up that school and their situation.

I tend to, like you, agree with what the Columbia Principal was saying in the interview you're referring to. It must be noted that, rightly or wrongly (because I have very little knowledge of the details), that the Columbia Principal was not retained after this past school year was over. He was in the position for two years and when you saw that interview during the championship game he had yet to finish his first semester on the job at Columbia and probably had very little to do with any success of the football program since that staff had been in place for a while when he arrived... Again, I agree with his statement and am not advocating or disagreeing with him not retaining his job and it also worth noting that I heard alot of the students really liked him as their principal. I just thought those facts should he noted since you brought up that school and their situation.

Thanks for that info. I did not know that. Sure looks like he might have taken some good parts with him though.... :popcorneater:

Has anyone been reading the articles coming out of Chattanooga about coaching supplements? Seems to me Chattanooga pays there coaches really well. 15% of salary for an assistant football position is more than some head coaches make in Middle TN.

What happened in Lewisburg is right at the heart of those articles, coaches are underpaid and overworked. I know I was hard on Coach T at first, but after talking to some others. I don't blame him for getting more money for himself and coaches. I would love to see a list of head coaches salaries from across the state.

Has anyone been reading the articles coming out of Chattanooga about coaching supplements? Seems to me Chattanooga pays there coaches really well. 15% of salary for an assistant football position is more than some head coaches make in Middle TN.

What happened in Lewisburg is right at the heart of those articles, coaches are underpaid and overworked. I know I was hard on Coach T at first, but after talking to some others. I don't blame him for getting more money for himself and coaches. I would love to see a list of head coaches salaries from across the state.

Agreed, people who like to complain about sports have no idea of the finances of it all. For the time they put in and the money they bring in coupled with the scholarships they help guide these students to, their compensation is ridiculously low.

Edited by likearock

Pitts named MCHS football coach

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Marshall County Tribune

Marshall County Schools Director Jackie Abernathy has named Aaron J. Pitts to be the new football coach for Marshall County High School.

Pitts, 30, of Unionville was a physical education teacher and offensive coordinator for the MCHS Tigers from 2007-2010. He's more recently been working at Stratford High School in Nashville. Before that he was at Warren County High School.

Clearly "pleased" to have Pitts back with the Tigers, Abernathy happily told an ironic chain of events.

MCHS Principal Keith Stacey gave Pitts a good recommendation to Stratford, "And now, he's taking him away," Abernathy said.

Pitts' master's and undergraduate degrees are from Middle Tennessee State University.

Born in Monticello, Miss., Pitts has been married 10 years. He and his wife, Esther, have three children: three-year-old twins and a seven-year-old.

For more about Coach Pitts, return to marshalltribune.com as more is to be posted since Abernathy's announcement at 3 p.m. Thursday.

© Copyright 2012 Marshall County Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The paper said MC was happy to get a coach of character. I don't know what kind of character that is when he is hired to do a job and resigns the first week of practice. I know metro takes a lot of critiscm for not hiring from the outside at times but this is an example of what can happen with outsiders sometimes. Good luck MC.