Defensive Coordinators

phishhead

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by phishhead:

Who are the best defensive coordinators out there?

why?

Mike Finney of Centennial High school. Has great blitz schemes that have been effective getting pressure all year. Started the year in a 4-4 alignment, but now spends a great deal of time in a 3 man front with 5 other men in the box in the form of linebackers and a monster/joker type player. Utilizes his team speed with all of the backs. No point in trying to run outside on his defense, as they use excellent pursuit lanes and have great speed. They are suspect against the run in the middle when they aren't playing good technique, but the only team to really beat them there was Franklin, running for over 200 yards all up the gut. Coach Finney is a great communicator and always seems to be evolving and learning. Before coming to CHS, he spend many years at Franklin County.

Call me biased, but Ron Crawford has done a first rate job at Brentwood combining Head Coach and D-Coordinator. Year in and year out, Riverdale put up some impressive defensive numbers. Last year the Warriors were #1 in least points allowed in 5A. Coincidentally, Hunter Hughes (who is still on the staff) was #2 in the state in 5A in least points allowed when he was the coordinator under Jack Daniels. So you have the two top defensive coordinators from last year coaching together. To me, the d-coordinator earns his salt with the initial scheme variations each week, but the adjustments they make successfully during the game. Rarely has BHS been out of position from a scheme point. But the final measure is how you teach the technique to play the scheme play after play. Crawford is foremost a teacher, then a tactician. I'm sure the Warrior faithful will back me up on this analysis.

Guest trojanball4
Posted by phishhead:

Who are the best defensive coordinators out there?

why?

no doubt, the man in black at morristown west. jerry thompson the man loves the game and makes winners out of each team he has. he will not only teach you about football but he will teach you about life. he is a strict disciplinarian but knows when and where to get onto a person. great coach and loves kids. his defenses stats show it

Marcus Walls at Gallatin High School has been an important piece of the puzzle for Robert Lassiter and his staff. When the 4-3 scheme was adopted, Walls was brought in from MTSU to implement it. He has also taken over the conditioning program at GHS and done wonders for the improved strength of the team.

Last spring, Riverdale attempted to recruit him, but the arrogance of that program turned him off. Walls has to pass R'dale on the way to work every morning, and they offered him a peach of a teaching position, and he still turned down the great Rankini.

Walls is very enthusiastic and a great influence on the GHS staff. I look for him to make a move to the next level soon, but stay in this area because his wife coaches at MTSU.

I would have to give a vote for Bobby Wells at Smyrna High School. He does a great job with the talent he has and gets a lot out of the kids. Smyrna runs a base 4-4 but Wells mixes in a Bear(4-6) look that gives a lot of teams trouble. Does a great job preparing his players and has been known to shut down some of the best running backs around.

Michael Tipps at Huntland has done a great job over the last couple of years. He does it without a lot of speed too which everyone knows makes all defenses better cause you cant coach speed. They are very fundamental and do a great job of tackling. Their defense has won and even kept them in a lot of games. The only team over the last 2 years that has dominated them is Collinwood and they have done that to everyone they have played.

Matt50 what up? I agree with you. Bobby Wells does an outstanding job coaching those kids. The kids will do whatever he asks them to do. The thing I like most about Bobby is that he is not afraid to take chances. Good luck this week verse L-town.

Ps Marcus Walls has had a unbeleivable impact on The Gallatin Program. He too is an outstanding Coach and a great person.

"Throw to score and run to win."