is there some sort of mystique about maryville?

Governm

This was one of the best high school football games that I have seen. The atmosphere was great, packed house, and two really good football teams. I never like pointing to one call as deciding a four quarter game. If WB had caught just one or two of what appeared to be five fairly routine interceptions, that call would have been a non issue. As it was, if the extra point would have been good, it still would have only tied the game and who knows what would have happened after that. WB played good, but didn't make the plays that you have to make to put away a good team, and it came back to bite them in the end.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to take into account that Maryville makes a lot of teams uncomfortable because Maryville is so versatile. The Rebels have never relied on just one or two guys. They've relied on numerous throughout the years. They've been able to run the ball effectively and they've been able to pass effectively. Some years they are more prolific with passing and others with running, but every game they need to go away from the pass they are able to do so by going to the run or vice-versa. Other teams aren't always as capable at doing this. A great example of this would be Hillsboro in 2002. The Burros were outstanding at running ball, playing defense, and controlling the clock, but when Maryville was able to get a lead on them they were forced to go to the air and they literally threw the game away. Maryville often makes those teams play to that weakness rather than play to their strength and that leads to more mistakes.

On top of that I think on Maryville you have a bunch of kids with confidence that believe they can win and want to go out there and win. That goes a very very long way. I think that confidence started with the class of 2003. I remember them saying in middle school, 7th grade, that they were going to win state when they were seniors. They did it. That sort of confidence and belief in one another has carried on through the years and has become expected.

Also you just have some coaches that make mistakes as well. One good example of this was several years ago when Tyler Robinson was playing for Alcoa. He was KILLING Maryville. The Rebels could not stop him. He caught anything and everything thrown anywhere near him and all the Rebels could do was hope to bring him down where he caught it. Yet, despite that fact, Alcoa went away from the pass, or barely went to it at all, and tried to run it down Maryville's throat instead. That didn't work too well and Maryville went on to win a close one. I think Alcoa wins that game had they stuck to what was working instead of trying to impose their will.

In the words of Greyrider "really"? Because I disagree about a TYING extra point and because I think WB had a better team that year that makes me NOT a Rebel Fan. Unbelievable! I saw 3 WB games and 8 Maryville games that year and IMO WB had the better team. Ask yourself this question Rebelron, if you changes staffs on that game who would have won? I would say GQ and WB by 10. I will always call it the way I see it on here, no matter who the truth or my heart favors. As for Strongx, I know nobody on here has deeper roots or is a stronger supporter of Maryville than him.IMO

If William Blount is better than Maryville then Bearden would have destroyed Maryville that year. Bearden killed WB 30-0 that year. I give WB credit for playing Maryville tough.

Maybe it's like playing golf with that guy who can drive it 40 yards further than you. Because he is a little better, you try to do too much and hit it in the trees.

As for the refs, it has always been that way. To beat Jordan in the day, you had to beat him and the 3 officials. To beat Coach K at Duke, you have to beat him and the 3 officials. In boxing, you have to knock out the champ. You shouldn't win the title with a decision. Football is really no different. Close calls are going to go to the favorites - whether it's the Cowboys, Blue Devils, or Rebels.

The field looks awesome!

So how do you like the field?

Countryreb, sounds like they have got us pegged.roflol.gif We might as well get rid of all that red/black in our wardrobes. I got an idea! Why don't we both donate it to the grads from the other schools that are bringing their kids to murvil. They likely need some red/black anyway.

well there you go...