Maryville vs. Alcoa (Official ESPN2 Game Thread)

Red Rebels

THATS AWESOME BABY!!

As far as 1 of Rankins best teams ever, only time will tell, that 2004 Riverdale team has been his best so far.

From Saturday: Mhs look really good except for the 4 TOs and giving up so many yards.When Ahs scrimmaged cleveland this preseason they had 4 first downs and a busted 80yard td, Webb controled the clock against AHS, and the tornadoes only had the ball 3 times in the first half(the goal line stop, the td drive and the last drive with 1:20 left to go 88 yards,Missed FG),and 3 times in the second....make of it what u want, but i can promise u that this game sunday will be just like the last 2 AHS-MHS games.

Disagree. Riverdale 94 was Rankin's best team ever. Were ranked in the top 5 in the nation @ seasons end that year. I was a Soph on Oak Ridge's team in 94 that lost to them in the semifinls 21-7. We were 13-0 going into that game. They handled us pretty well, and we were very good that year. Had 4 or 5 SEC players on that team. One which went on to have a pretty good career @ Bama and in the NFL, Fernando Bryant. We (OR) had 3 players on our squad who ended up being SEC players, but Mike Gipson never mad it to Florida. Bohannon and Mccaddley both went to Alabama, but they were just sophomores on that 94 OR team.

Edited by SweetScience

Bext team ever? They are very good, but the teams of 2 and 3 years ago were as good as it gets

As a team, I have to agree...not sure this is the best as a unit at this point, but definitely has the potential. As far as the number of outstanding athletes in this senior class...no comparison. Alcoa will have several play at the next level.

As a team, I have to agree...not sure this is the best as a unit at this point, but definitely has the potential. As far as the number of outstanding athletes in this senior class...no comparison. Alcoa will have several play at the next level.

Woulda been interesting to see some of Rankin's great Alcoa teams vs some of his great Riverdale teams. Personally, i think his great Riverdale teams would win,but were comparing a huge 6A school to a 3A school. It's amazing the talent that comes from such a small city. How do they do it year in and year out???

Edited by SweetScience

I heard that Reynolds wasn't allowed to do the Maryville/Alcoa games anymore? Anybody know?

I don't know. Haven't heard that. It would be the sensible thing to do. He is very blatant with his officiating. I actually believe there are enough refs out there that a ref should never be allowed to ref a game in which his alma mater is playing, or in a game in which the school that his kids attend is playing. JMO.

I've know him since he was the football manager for AHS. I don't know how many flags he threw Saturday, but he could have thrown a few more. One of the CHS LB's (I hope position is not too much information? No number or last name was given.) head was across the line of scrimmage early many times. I really don't want to second guess any of those guys, because I would never want to do it.

Yes, but so are several diehard Maryville fans. Am I mistaken, or haven't I seen on here before that you are an Alcoa graduate? Who do you pull for in this game?

I graduated from Alcoa in 1977. I love my alma matre, however, my kids went to MHS, my wife taught at MHS, and I have coached on the Southerners staff for ten years. I coached the MHS players that will be starting Sunday. My loyalty is to the names on the back of the jersey, not the name on the front. Most of the guys on here know who I am.

I've know him since he was the football manager for AHS. I don't know how many flags he threw Saturday, but he could have thrown a few more. One of the CHS LB's (I hope position is not too much information? No number or last name was given.) head was across the line of scrimmage early many times. I really don't want to second guess any of those guys, because I would never want to do it.

I don't want to do it either RR, and no one made them do it either. But, if it was something that I wanted to do, I would do whatever it took to be the best I could be, and no matter what game I was sent to call, it would be done professionally because all 15, 16, and 17 year old kids deserve that.

Eye thank jake iz rite.....Alcouh will try two come out and pound tha rock....

And hoo woodun't wif that big ole Loy and Ownby up thair....Tha differunce inn thiz gaim fer tha Mairvul D Fence will bee ewe won't haiv two baik peddull and find tha bawl....Tha bawl will bee comin' rite atchee.....

Alcouh iz huge upfunt on offence.....Heck thair qwarter baik iz big az most teems tackulls.....

Eye jist hoap we cain keep hit close...unsure.png

Disagree. Riverdale 94 was Rankin's best team ever. Were ranked in the top 5 in the nation @ seasons end that year. I was a Soph on Oak Ridge's team in 94 that lost to them in the semifinls 21-7. We were 13-0 going into that game. They handled us pretty well, and we were very good that year. Had 4 or 5 SEC players on that team. One which went on to have a pretty good career @ Bama and in the NFL, Fernando Bryant. We (OR) had 3 players on our squad who ended up being SEC players, but Mike Gipson never mad it to Florida. Bohannon and Mccaddley both went to Alabama, but they were just sophomores on that 94 OR team.

Thats fine both team were awesome 2004 scored a lil more pts and gave up a lil more than the 94 team, but all that matters was they both beat Oak Ridge...lol...

back to the MHS-AHS game