School's that may change Class Next year...

Space3

I find it ironic that Oar Ridge will drop down. After years of ridicule and "come play with the Big Boys" comments from many of their fans they are now on the run to 5A. Maybe a lesson to those that shoud be careful with what they wish for.

If Oak Ridge does move to 5A, how would them playing in their correct classification be running from anything? Shouldn't a school play where the TSSAA puts them? Maybe I'm confused here. sleep.png

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1117 would likely put them in Class AAA in all sports. They go where the current count is, not what the count will be in a year or two.

Soddy-Daisy could possibly go to 5A playoffs. Brainerd, Red Bank could go 3A playoffs.

Yep, but TSSAA can and dose move that number all the time. It was told to me that they might move it 100. What is the number? I would like to go to 5A, for the reason of gate dollars.

In NET, Sullivan South and Sullivan Central are currently playing 5A. I 'believe' each of these schools are in the 900's. Sully Central desperatly needs to drop to 4A. Sullivan South could make an impact in the 4A pond in the future.

Edit: Just thinking a bit about NET. If Central and South go to 4A, this probably means Cherokee will move East for conference play. The drop will help DB and Science Hill who shouldn't be playing a 900 enrollment school anyway. But, DB and SHHS will have two spots to fill on their schedule and thats tough nowadays. There just arent any large schools in NET area, that DB and SHHS arent already playing anyway. Lord help, I hope they don't have to schedule any of the SW Virginia teams. Gate City doesn't know what a forward pass is. SW VA is Weak with a capital W. (Isnt that right, Sully North Raiders?). Too many East TN teams already scheduling VA, KY, and NC schools. The 4A map will get a serious rearranging up here too. Wow, what a mess. I guess it's too early to even discuss all this, but then again you'd think the TSSAA would get this decided fast so teams can work on the 2013 on beyond schedules. I mean, who does DB pick up if the two Sullys drop off? They will catch grief whoever it is, short of a lower classification powerhouse like Alcoa or Fulton.

Edited by Pudding

Do schools have the option of playing up in class if they so choose? I would think they might request that but the TSSAA would need to determine if there are enough/too many schools in a given classification to grant the request. The reason I ask is that some Oak Ridge fans have said that they'd choose to stay in 6A (others have disagreed). But I wonder whether or not they'd have the option.

Schools do have the option of playing up. Under the last realignment, Clarksville Northeast High School wished to stay in 5a despite a smaller enrollment figure since every other Clarksville school was 5a or bigger. However, in Oak Ridge's case under the z-plan, 5a or 6a would not matter until playoff time. Oak Ridge would theoretically still be able to play in the same district versus the same opponents either way.

Schools do have the option of playing up. Under the last realignment, Clarksville Northeast High School wished to stay in 5a despite a smaller enrollment figure since every other Clarksville school was 5a or bigger. However, in Oak Ridge's case under the z-plan, 5a or 6a would not matter until playoff time. Oak Ridge would theoretically still be able to play in the same district versus the same opponents either way.

Professor, as I was reading the posts on here, I thought the exact same thing as you. How would "the gate receipts" change for Oak Ridge knowing regardless if they are 5A or 6A, they would continue to compete in the same district? How then would they notice a difference at the gates?

Furthermore, to those asking what the numbers must be to be considered 5A or 6A or falling to 4A....no one will know until every school has posted its enrollment figures. That number is then subdivided 6 times. Therefore, roughly the same number of schools are in each class except for of course 1A. There is no magic number per class, just a rough estimation based on previous history!