Painthurs reddy fer Mairvul.....

STARSNBARS

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welp, I guess LC is on the record with a post game excuse.

This post is a loser's mentality that wouldn't be tolerated most places. These kids are 16-18 years old. They can handle a 10 game regular season just fine.

Being at a school where playing on every down on both sides of the ball and having really very few backups to run out on the field is a rare thing, I can understand your post. But here in the world of a smaller school the young men play offense, defense, and special teams, some you see almost every snap of the ball all night, while they are outstanding athletes and will play hard all night, injuries will happen, and have happened. While LC has been lucky so far that most are minor, on a team where so much is done by a thin number one major loss can be much more devastating than at a larger school. The truth is that this game, while winning would mean the district title, doesn't really offer much to advance LC in the 5A playoffs. LC can't win the state title Friday night but it sure can lose it.

I'm still wondering how LC will handle this game. Winning means a district title, but how hard do you push for it and at what cost? With several banged up players that play both ways (and most players do at LC) do you go for the gold and take a chance of hurting your team for the playoffs or do you pull your starters at some point and give them some must needed rest (been a hard fought season) knowing 2nd is wrapped up no matter the outcome. You hate to give in but as they say "look at the big picture" and maryville is nowhere in the big picture for LC. Extra rest on knees shoulders and muscles can go a long way this time of year. Honestly I'm not sure if i would even start some of the players.

I believe you go for the win over Maryville. A win over Maryville would do wonders for your team. Lenoir City will not play another team as good as Maryville.

Being at a school where playing on every down on both sides of the ball and having really very few backups to run out on the field is a rare thing, I can understand your post. But here in the world of a smaller school the young men play offense, defense, and special teams, some you see almost every snap of the ball all night, while they are outstanding athletes and will play hard all night, injuries will happen, and have happened. While LC has been lucky so far that most are minor, on a team where so much is done by a thin number one major loss can be much more devastating than at a larger school. The truth is that this game, while winning would mean the district title, doesn't really offer much to advance LC in the 5A playoffs. LC can't win the state title Friday night but it sure can lose it.

Building depth and or playing kids both ways is a coaches decision in most circles. LC is not so small that they can't play kids exclusively on one side of the ball. Greenback doesn't have a choice.....LC does so don't start that excuse.

I am not making a depth excuse. But, I do understand what the other person is saying. I think it's just being taken out of context a little bit. It really doesn't matter what we say because none of us are coaches on the team, just like none of you all are either. I just want a great game with no injuries. I think that we have a real good shot of having two teams from our district make it to state, and I think that is pretty awesome. I have never heard so much buzz around the program, and I know we can win the district title. So, a playoff question for you guys. If we do lose then the worst that we will be in district is 2nd place(unless Heritage beats West). How does that work as far as home field advantage in the playoffs?

Edited by dcnk

I'm still wondering how LC will handle this game. Winning means a district title, but how hard do you push for it and at what cost? With several banged up players that play both ways (and most players do at LC) do you go for the gold and take a chance of hurting your team for the playoffs or do you pull your starters at some point and give them some must needed rest (been a hard fought season) knowing 2nd is wrapped up no matter the outcome. You hate to give in but as they say "look at the big picture" and maryville is nowhere in the big picture for LC. Extra rest on knees shoulders and muscles can go a long way this time of year. Honestly I'm not sure if i would even start some of the players.

Interesting question but I think you play your normal rotation of healthy players as long as the game is competitive and you have a chance to win. Lenoir City seems at the very least to be on the same level as Bearden, Farragut, and West, probably a little higher when comparing scores. All of those teams had a little success at times against Maryville so I think you line up and give it your best shot. Players can get injured against weak teams just as easily they can against powerhouses like Maryville, although I would agree to some extent that your likelihood of getting "beaten up" physically is much greater against Maryville than lesser teams because of how hard they hit.

Now, I completely understand if a guy is hurt and an additional week of rest/rehab is needed to get him ready for the playoffs. By all means, you wouldn't play that player, but that has nothing to do with having Maryville as an opponent...... that logic would apply against any team.