11-AA

tigers90

From what i have seen myself and heard this is about right...Camden might be the team that costs one of the other 2-3 the districts regular season title and will be tough come tourney time.

Camden is the real deal, Im not predicting a district championship because the top of this league is tough, but you are right they will surprise a few teams this year. This team is better than last year team and they are deep. Should be a fun year.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harpeth beat Creek Wood last night 40 something to 40 something. I caught about a quarter and a half. It's a rivalry game and all with emotions particularly from the Creek Wood side with the 3 kids that could be playing in Harpeth blue, but I was underwhelmed. Pretty good defense but if Creek Wood would have fed the post, Harpeth wouldn't have stopped 21 and if Harpeth makes half their free throws, it's not close. The Indians missed enough free throws to lose 3 games. That being said, Harpeth/Creek Wood is a rivalry game and there's emotions involved.

The refs blew 2 calls in the last 12 seconds of the game that might have affected the outcome. First, there's a whistle from the front court ref on a free throw because he thought it didn't hit the rim. Not his call to begin with and it was correctly corrected by his partners because everybody but him and probably Creek Wood's bench saw it hit the rim. Then they tee up Coach Taylor because he was upset that the call was reversed and rightfully so. Zebra doesn't blow his whistle and none of this happens. If he thinks it didn't hit the rim, what does the coach standing right behind him think? The inadvertant whistle on a live ball means a jump ball and Creek Wood would have had possession on the rebound. Let the opposing coach calm down after your mistake, give Harpeth the ball since it's the possession arrow is pointing to their end it's as even as it can be with the blown call you just made. Throwing the T and giving Harpeth 2 free throws and the ball because you blew the call was in bad form. Man up and take your butt chewing for blowing on your whistle when you shouldn't, hand the ball to Harpeth and run like heck out of the gym. I think it was a 2 point game when all this took place with around 11-12 seconds on the clock. Credit Coach Wilson for keeping his head and asking the question. For a little bit I think the 2 head coaches were the only ones in the building that had a clue what had happened. I hated to see Coach Taylor get a T in that scenario.

sounds like a lot of crap at the end of a basketball game to me and I think when a Harpeth fans says refs screwed up in Harpeths favor I will have to agree with him.. Having said that welcome everyone to basketball season this won't be the first time the refs mess one of us over...lol

Well, there's always a lot of crap in a 2 or 3 point ballgame with 12 seconds left if you think about it. The last place a ref wants to be is in a huddle after he blows his whistle with his partners who didn't see what he thought he saw. And they were both closer. Some refs back their partners play right there and live or die with him. They could have come up with a lane violation as a judgement call and everybody would have had to live with it. I credit the refs for correctly trying to fix their mistake. The only way it works in Harpeth's favor is that it was their possession arrow. I guarantee you the refs didn't know that. That was luck of the draw. Credit Jamie Wilson for recognizing the rule that an inadvertant whistle was a change in possession. I'm not sure the refs were going to catch that right then in the heat of the moment. I mean, Creek Wood had possession BUT the clock stopped with the whistle. There are a lot of scenarios right there 94 feet away with about 8 or 9 seconds left if the clock is still ticking. Harpeth had been covering Plunkett up on the 3's and had defenders in the game and back on Creek Wood's side when the free throw was missed. My problem was with the same refs that just blew a play that could have affected the outcome of the game insuring that by throwing a T on Charles Taylor. He's rightfully upset that a blown whistle at the end of the game resulted in his team giving up possession of the basketball without commiting any sort of violation. Refs have got to see that side of it when they're fixing to T him up. I felt bad for Coach Taylor right there because the guys in control are affecting things in the game that he can't control. It's a worse case scenario for the possession rule. Harpeth didn't tie him up. Kid didn't turn it over. Coach didn't call a time out he didn't have. Possession changed because it was just Harpeth's turn after the refs blew the call. Any coach is upset right there. No T deserved.

None of that changes the fact that Creek Wood didn't feed the post when the kid was unstoppable. They resorted to jacking up shots from outside that weren't there. They were in the game at the end because Harpeth can't convert but one free throw on at least 3 straight trips to the line. 6 points and it's over. 4 points and it's over. Make 2 and it's practically over. What are all the little kids doing at the end of the game? Shooting 3's and trying to jump and touch the net. Fellas. Shoot a couple hundred free throws every day. ;)

Edited by ksgovols

Harpeth beat Creek Wood last night 40 something to 40 something. I caught about a quarter and a half. It's a rivalry game and all with emotions particularly from the Creek Wood side with the 3 kids that could be playing in Harpeth blue, but I was underwhelmed. Pretty good defense but if Creek Wood would have fed the post, Harpeth wouldn't have stopped 21 and if Harpeth makes half their free throws, it's not close. The Indians missed enough free throws to lose 3 games. That being said, Harpeth/Creek Wood is a rivalry game and there's emotions involved.

The refs blew 2 calls in the last 12 seconds of the game that might have affected the outcome. First, there's a whistle from the front court ref on a free throw because he thought it didn't hit the rim. Not his call to begin with and it was correctly corrected by his partners because everybody but him and probably Creek Wood's bench saw it hit the rim. Then they tee up Coach Taylor because he was upset that the call was reversed and rightfully so. Zebra doesn't blow his whistle and none of this happens. If he thinks it didn't hit the rim, what does the coach standing right behind him think? The inadvertant whistle on a live ball means a jump ball and Creek Wood would have had possession on the rebound. Let the opposing coach calm down after your mistake, give Harpeth the ball since it's the possession arrow is pointing to their end it's as even as it can be with the blown call you just made. Throwing the T and giving Harpeth 2 free throws and the ball because you blew the call was in bad form. Man up and take your butt chewing for blowing on your whistle when you shouldn't, hand the ball to Harpeth and run like heck out of the gym. I think it was a 2 point game when all this took place with around 11-12 seconds on the clock. Credit Coach Wilson for keeping his head and asking the question. For a little bit I think the 2 head coaches were the only ones in the building that had a clue what had happened. I hated to see Coach Taylor get a T in that scenario.

It sounds like the Red Hawks got a raw deal there. Basketball officials are some of the worst people I have ever met. They all seem to have "little man syndrome" and can't stand to be questioned about anything. This is especially the case with the officials of 11-AA.

Tonight's games with Camden playing Harpeth & Cheatham playing Sycamore should be very entertaining.

Great win for Harpeth. I saw where Waverly beat Montgomery Central 96 to 39. Cheatham beat Sycamore 53 to 31. The Cubs can play much better but in those wins vs county rivals it's not always going to be pretty. The Cubs travel to Dyersburg today. Harpeth plays Dickson County today.

Creek Wood also beat Stewart County 69-31.