STATE PLAYOFFS - FAIR OR UNFAIR

devilsden

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish everyone would quit complaining. The board of control is not going change anything, we have 6 classes for 4 more years and everyone going have except it. The reason they kept the 6 classes is because the school administrators want the current system because there making bigger gate money in the regular season in this system because to the closer rivialry's

The highest level of school administrators are the school Superintendents and they (Tn. Org. of Sch. Superintendents) officially recommended that it change back to 5 classes, which was ignored. Remember it only takes 5 to control the vote.

Edited by ddaddy

As long as there are not teams with better records sitting at home I have no problem with the playoff construction.

Yeah, I remember when I was A Senior. We went 8-2, were co-champions of the District, and the tie-breaker put a 7-3 team in playoffs over us. Thats when only top two of district went. I like the fact that all good teams get in and some warm up games. No excuses when you get playoff opportunities. No one is at home saying if only we got in.

I agree that the brackets for each class need to be consistent. If you don't have 32 teams for 1A and 2A they don't need to be separated.

That being said, I'm in favor of a 3 class system and you won't have any 5-5 teams in the playoffs and not many 6-4's. Your natural rivals will also come back into play instead of the gerrymandering that takes place today to make up some districts. I'm also in favor of using CalPrep or Massey Ratings as part of the seeding process. Keep the travel quads. Half of the teams in the playoffs have no business being there in the first place. If you're trying to reduce travel costs..................leave them at home.

North greene and Cleveland were 5 and 5 and did not get in

This system would work so much better if they would change some of the seeding criteria. For example: District Champion, then head to head, next would be overall record. Sometimes a 5-5 team could be better than a 6-4 team with the 5-5 team beating 6-4 team head to head, but played a tougher schedule. I have also seen a 5-5 team beat a 9-1 team handlely because the 9-1 team played in a weak district along with a weaker schedule. That is why I am OK with a 5-5 team getting in. I would also like to see 1 and 2 district foes exempt from facing each other i.e. placed in different quads, along with semi games being flipped with higher seeds playing lower seeds from the east vs. west so we can see a more true championship game. The best example for last year in 3-A would be Alcoa vs. CAK from the same district but clearly the 2 best in 3-A. I know this would cause more of a travel issue, but come on for one game it could be exciting!

LCM it does sound reasonable for Cleveland to be in instead of Walker Valley because they beat them but however the seeding was done, it was determined Cleveland's season wasn't as strong as at least 32 others in 5A statewide. If they passed Walker Valley, not only would they be passing the Mustangs, they'd likely be passing others across the state. The only way head to head would work on a consistent basis would be taking an even four teams from each district or region.

The travel issues would not permit putting teams outside their own groups, look at the fuss for Sullivan South's placement error and their travel is apparently getting paid.

This system would work so much better if they would change some of the seeding criteria. For example: District Champion, then head to head, next would be overall record. Sometimes a 5-5 team could be better than a 6-4 team with the 5-5 team beating 6-4 team head to head, but played a tougher schedule. I have also seen a 5-5 team beat a 9-1 team handlely because the 9-1 team played in a weak district along with a weaker schedule. That is why I am OK with a 5-5 team getting in. I would also like to see 1 and 2 district foes exempt from facing each other i.e. placed in different quads, along with semi games being flipped with higher seeds playing lower seeds from the east vs. west so we can see a more true championship game. The best example for last year in 3-A would be Alcoa vs. CAK from the same district but clearly the 2 best in 3-A. I know this would cause more of a travel issue, but come on for one game it could be exciting!

Agree with you on district teams not meeting till finals, Like basketball when you get so far in.

I like these suggestions. Let's get rid of runner-up having seeding preferences. Also no two teams from the same district in the same Quad. The lower seed team travels.