Why do Tri-cities teams always choke in the playoffs?

blazer1set

Ok, I know that we already know the answer, so maybe this is a worthless post.

No doubt somebody will respond as such, and I guess I deserve it.

Sorry guys, it just gets frustrating that we can't seem to get past Knoxville.

During the playoffs I pull for Boone's rivals, so go D-B and TN High!!

P.S. Greeneville won the last 2 in 4A, but they are technically not in the tri-cities

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

call me odd, but i wouldnt even say they choke(except for db last year). my opinion is that the overall quality of football is lower up that way and the teams have unrealistic expectations. db is notorius for thinking they are the shiz because they beat up all the teams in n.e.t and find out they arent as good as they think they are when they get bounced early in the playoffs. i've seen several db fans post on here that they are still embarassed at losing to my govs in the first round in 06, which is a load of crap i'm sorry to say. true william blount was 6-4 and db was undefeated, but wb's 6 wins were won in a much tougher region. moreover 3 of wbs losses were by a touchdown or less, they could have easily been 9-1 facing top notch competition. so its kind of shortsighted to say db choked against wb, the truth is wb was the better team, again i recognize db was undefeated, but that was in a cupcake region, i'd take 6 wins in a tough region over 10 wins in a cupcake region anyday. unless Db,science hill,and tennessee high start scheduling as many tough non region games as possible things are prolly never gonna change ..

Edited by Governors91

i think db needs to start scheduling murfreesboro teams and maryville for non conference games to see how they stack up against the contenders. those games would be a good indicator of where they are as a football team and be a good test. those games would also help them have more realistic expectations, because chances are you're not gonna win the state title if you cant knock of maryville or one of the middle tennessee teams.

call me odd, but i wouldnt even say they choke(except for db last year). my opinion is that the overall quality of football is lower up that way and the teams have unrealistic expectations. db is notorius for thinking they are the shiz because they beat up all the teams in n.e.t and find out they arent as good as they think they are when they get bounced early in the playoffs. i've seen several db fans post on here that they are still embarassed at losing to my govs in the first round in 06, which is a load of crap i'm sorry to say. true william blount was 6-4 and db was undefeated, but wb's 6 wins were won in a much tougher region. moreover 3 of wbs losses were by a touchdown or less, they could have easily been 9-1 facing top notch competition. so its kind of shortsighted to say db choked against wb, the truth is wb was the better team, again i recognize db was undefeated, but that was in a cupcake region, i'd take 6 wins in a tough region over 10 wins in a cupcake region anyday. unless Db,science hill,and tennessee high start scheduling as many tough non region games as possible things are prolly never gonna change ..

that's my opinion also I know it don't mean anything ! But by scheduling those tuff nonconference games help us come play-off like Franklin county , Motown West , Alcoa and the hill toppers . Plus the scrimmage's we have like DB , trailblazers . Sequoia and i think it was Knox west or Powell can't remember . Yes we won some and lost some but playing a top caliber team like the teams I named shows you your strong points and what you need to work on to advance when the tuff get going !

I decided a few years back that the mythical line between the NET (Upper East Tennessee)and the other side of the NET is a vortex somewhere between Morristown and Greeneville.

I count Morristown as NET.He closed the area down a few sq miles by saying tricities.Greeneville is concidered in the tricities area but not in that triangle if you get precise as he did.Either way,not a lot of championships in that triangle

To me it's a numbers game. There are only 2 6A teams in the Tri-cities, and 6 5A teams (Correct me if wrong.) That's not many compared to other geographic areas like Knoxville, Nashville, Murfreesboro, etc so the chances for success in the area isn't high statistically. And in the old 5A/current 6A football playoffs there aren't any easy games. Every team that makes it in that is for real, esp in 6A Quad 1 this year. If you narrow the area down you could really make the case for any area in Tennessee outside of Blount county, annually choking in the playoffs. On top of that, there's just less population in NET, so you're gonna have less talent, even if there are large schools in the area. What the tri-cities needs is an NFL or D-1 college team to "encourage" better talent icon_mrgreen.gif

Edited by Quasar

Sorry Quasar but have to disagree with you. Any team that makes it into the 2nd round of the playoffs gets beat, they do not choke. They might get out coached or run up on a team with better players but they do not choke. And that goes for my friends up in Kingsport.

ROLL WILDCATS ROLL

i think db needs to start scheduling murfreesboro teams and maryville for non conference games to see how they stack up against the contenders. those games would be a good indicator of where they are as a football team and be a good test. those games would also help them have more realistic expectations, because chances are you're not gonna win the state title if you cant knock of maryville or one of the middle tennessee teams.

if DB needs to schdule a nondistrict game against any of the murfreesboro teams im sure the coachs would love to hear from them, im already hearing all district 7aaa teams are having trouble finding nondistict games "home and an away" for the next 2 years

I tend to agree with the Gov poster, TNHS, DB and a few others think they are on par with most around the Knoxville & Blount co. No one is close to Maryville and it has been that wat since 97.

One thing I noticed is the local papers really build the area teams up in the Tri-city area. Press only sways elections it really can't win games.