Hunter's Lane

tnhsfbfan85

Yes, but they do have workout times after school for off season "conditioning". Also, there are certain other "enhancements" that are available which are very effective when the student athlete goes to workout with his personal trainer at D-1. When your parents pay for a personal coach and all the trimmings who cares if the school has weightlifting?!

Hahaha no doubt! Comparing Hunters Lane to Williamson County is a stretch for sure.

Wasn't 1975 around the time that "forced" busing was initiated. And thus, the rise of a new crop of private schools.

Busing actually started in the late 60's..............athletics were still viable probably into the late 80's and early 90's; then the "death spiral" started. Metro is still very strong and competitive in athletics..............but the strength is centered in the "Metro privates".

Metro publics get very limited "printed" publicity, very little fan support; scattered support from administration (to many admininstrators.......athletics is but a necessary evil). To compare 6A/5A metro public schools to the surrounding 6A/5A schools............just not a level playing field any longer. IMHO

also............IMHO; the real damage of busing was the destruction of community schools; this basically killed real support. There used to be some great communities withing the metro publics with great support.

Examples...........Donelson use to have 2 HS's with great support -gone!! Bellevue was a great community based school; there is no HS in Bellevue (except for one called Ensworth). Madison - gone; Dupont-gone.............................big old comprehensive schools with zero community backing maybe the culprit along with the stupidity of the grand social engineering called busing..........note done by the extremely efficient federal govt and friends.

Edited by oldbear71

Busing actually started in the late 60's..............athletics were still viable probably into the late 80's and early 90's; then the "death spiral" started. Metro is still very strong and competitive in athletics..............but the strength is centered in the "Metro privates".

Metro publics get very limited "printed" publicity, very little fan support; scattered support from administration (to many admininstrators.......athletics is but a necessary evil). To compare 6A/5A metro public schools to the surrounding 6A/5A schools............just not a level playing field any longer. IMHO

Mid 70's started the down fall.....Hogan played at Cohn from 64 to 70 and saw no busing what so ever in Metro. Busing killed Metro Schools.

Community support....you're correct, that is what it killed!!!

Edited by Hoganknows

I just wish that administrations realized that a successful athletic program can carry over into the school academics. I think every program and phase of school is important and lends itself to a great school. Athletics,whether liked or not,gets more exposure than most activities in a school. It gets more media attention and is a visible showcase of a school. I know administrators are graded on graduation and test scores,I just wish that would look around and see that every successful school that has very successful athletics has great carry over value to a school in the classroom. Success is success and it can become contagious to every program.

Edited by runtheball
  • Upvote 1

I just wish that administrations realized that a successful athletic program can carry over into the school academics. I think every program and phase of school is important and lends itself to a great school. Athletics,whether liked or not,gets more exposure than most activities in a school. It gets more media attention and is a visible showcase of a school. I know administrators are graded on graduation and test scores,I just wish that would look around and see that every successful school that has very successful athletics has great carry over value to a school in the classroom. Success is success and it can become contagious to every program.

Oh so true there RTB....and adminstrations all over the place have lost that concept because of this" race to the top" mess and "teaching to the tests" mess.

Your athletic program should be the "front porch" of your school.....heck private schools learned that concept long time ago. You don't have to have a doctorate to run a school...just common sense and good coaches!!!