Hunter's Lane

tnhsfbfan85

When you say no weight training for student/athletes do you mean they are not allowed to stay after school and lift weights in the off-season or they do not have a period for football workouts that is called PE? I know of zero schools that will not allow students to lift in a supervised after school program. No school in Metro has a "class" during the day.

When you say no weight training for student/athletes do you mean they are not allowed to stay after school and lift weights in the off-season or they do not have a period for football workouts that is called PE? I know of zero schools that will not allow students to lift in a supervised after school program. No school in Metro has a "class" during the day.

The players get to work out during the months of June (until the start of the DP) and July (beginning after the conclusion of the DP). During school since many of the football kids at CCCHS are involved with other sports (basketball, wrestling, baseball, soccer, tennis) the last game of the high school football season is the last time that all of the football players are together until the following summer. Weight lifting during the spring semester no longer exists due to the school board's eliminating it.

The players get to work out during the months of June (until the start of the DP) and July (beginning after the conclusion of the DP). During school since many of the football kids at CCCHS are involved with other sports (basketball, wrestling, baseball, soccer, tennis) the last game of the high school football season is the last time that all of the football players are together until the following summer. Weight lifting during the spring semester no longer exists due to the school board's eliminating it.

How-2 ...I believe those players can lift before school or after school....school board can't eliminate that.

How-2 ...I believe those players can lift before school or after school....school board can't eliminate that.

With all Metro schools not having it at least all of the teams are on equal ground in that department. If Hunters Lane, Hillsboro, Hillwood, McGavock, Glencliff, Cane Ridge, Antioch, John Overton, Maplewood, Pearl-Cohn, Stratford, East Nashville, and Whites Creek all do not offer it then none of them are getting what I deem to be "an unfair edge".

Creek Wood has a P.E./Weight Training Course. Camden has a P.E./Weight Training Course. CPA has a P.E./Weight Training Course. All of these schools have been teams that Cheatham County Schools have played in recent years in "big games". I don't know for certain but I am sure that both Sumner and Robertson County Schools still offer P.E./Weight Training Courses as well.

Cheatham, Sycamore, and Harpeth are at a major disadvantage in that area because they have low numbers which means that they have to share their players with other sports, they do not get to lift during school, they have very limited coaches in the building (3 at most for each) and many of them coach other sports outside of football (i.e. wrestling, baseball, basketball). This means that they are asking one man to stay after school every day and instruct weight training to "whichever kids happen to show up on a particular day". It's just not close to being equal when schools that pop up on the schedule every year have weight training offered during the school day (therefore making it mandatory to attend).

Darnell teaches P.E./Weight Training at Hunters Lane High School. I don't know if the class is offered to everyone (athletes) but I do know that it is offered.

Weightlifting is offered to everyone and is not a sport specific class. As far as after school lifting, its the same everywhere in Metro. Its always one or two coaches who work with whoever shows up. TSSAA rules say it cannot be mandatory. You can check all that on the football schedule found on their webpage (www.TSSAA.org). You are, however, allowed to offer it.

If there are weights in the building....and some of the kids want to come lift....and a coach is willing to open the weight room....I bet that there is nothing the school board can do about it if they come lift. It is backed by TSSAA. Before you say it, the argument that the board says none can do it because all can't do it is BS. It's BS because you aren't competing just against your county, you are competing against schools from other school districts and you must keep your field level with theirs to be competitive. Somebody should have checked that out before taking the job.

Weight training as a PE class is indeed offered in most Metro schools. However it is open to all students. You will not have a class of only football players like most county schools have. Therefore, unless you as the coach are also the teacher (As Darnell is) you will have no control over the workout. The Metro director of PE has also specifically told instructors the class should not be sport specific and very general in nature. Of course they also said you should not max but instead do a "challenging lift". Their term not mine.

The type of situation that Roger Perry at Mt. Juliet or Crabtree at Beech have does not exist in Metro.

The type of situation that Roger Perry at Mt. Juliet or Crabtree at Beech have does not exist in Metro.

That's Wilson and Sumner County Schools. Football players don't have to be in the class "all together" however they should have a class offered to them to where they can lift and workout. If it's scattered throughout several periods per day then that still isn't awful because at least you then know that the players are getting a workout in during their off-season. That's why having the class offered is such a big deal. It doesn't have to be "sport specific" just as long as it was offered. For it not to be offered at all is just terrible!

Williamson County does not have sport specific weight training during instruction time but manage to get by.

Yes, but they do have workout times after school for off season "conditioning". Also, there are certain other "enhancements" that are available which are very effective when the student athlete goes to workout with his personal trainer at D-1. When your parents pay for a personal coach and all the trimmings who cares if the school has weightlifting?!