MHS v. Whitehaven

OG1

StarsandBars and my other Maryville buddies. Tough loss. Great game! Prevo is fun to watch. From the pressbox watching mhs two point try it looked call was not for an olineman going downfield. Need to see all 11 shot on tape but our guess was one of the tight ends was covered by a wideout.

Sorry, but the only TE on the field (#16) blocked backside and didn't go out or go down field at all so it couldn't be a "covered" TE. The ref reported that #50 was down field. I just watched the replay. Since the ball was on the 3 yard line AND the rule is three yards down field for ineligible AND no linemen were in the endzone, it was a horrible call! Whitehaven may have won anyway because it would have changed how they played the last 45 seconds. However, Rebel Nation would have love to see the right call determine the outcome.... not the wrong call.

Sorry, but the only TE on the field (#16) blocked backside and didn't go out or go down field at all so it couldn't be a "covered" TE. The ref reported that #50 was down field. I just watched the replay. Since the ball was on the 3 yard line AND the rule is three yards down field for ineligible AND no linemen were in the endzone, it was a horrible call! Whitehaven may have won anyway because it would have changed how they played the last 45 seconds. However, Rebel Nation would have love to see the right call determine the outcome.... not the wrong call.

Yes , and it is when the pass actually leaves the passers hand not when the pass is completed ...where that lineman is ... #50 is actually still on the 3 Yd . line at that exact moment , I have it paused .... It's really hilarious to see a lot of you guys commenting on this play that have no Idea what the rule is ..... hey maybe you guys would make great referees here for the TSSAA !!

Ya sure , you guys can call us whiners all you want , it was a perfectly executed play , and it could very well of won the game for Maryville , but as Oldrebel2 points out it could of changed everything Whitehaven did in that last 45 Sec . We turned the ball over 4 times , we didn't deserve to win .

I congratulate Whitehaven on the win , thanks for Shaking our hands this year , and I thought your coach was very classy in the post game interview . Nobody is taking anything away from Whitehaven at all , They've got their first Gold Ball , and we Congratulate you , and yes #7 Dodson is an Awesome Running back . Good luck to Whitehaven next year and hopefully we can do a best out of 3 next year !

With whitehaven down one maryville likely wins. They then have to pass the ball. they got about 20 yards passing all game long. Still, MHS had their chance and so did whitehaven and whitehaven took advantage and won. Congrats to them.

I felt like quarles called a poor game. Should have loosened up the whitehaven defense with some first down passing.

LMAO.....questioning Quarles huh; I think maybe WH just had really good athletes w/ great team speed and had already picked off 2 passes, not to mention they(Maryville) were having success running the ball to the very end scoring in OT. It just does not always go your way, eventhough for some it does most of the time.....

Edited by Kevin38

LMAO.....questioning Quarles huh; I think maybe WH just had really good athletes w/ great team speed and had already picked off 2 passes, not to mention they(Maryville) were having success running the ball to the very end scoring in OT. It just does not always go your way, eventhough for some it does most of the time.....

Well I actually agree with you Kevin38 , Whitehaven has about 8- D1 Players , we probably have none , maybe Prevo next year , and we had 4 Turnovers , yet we still went to overtime and had a great shot at winning ... how anybody could question Coach Quarles .... especially any Maryville fan who because of this Coach just attended our 9th straight Championship game ... WOW!!!!!

If you watch MHS you know that this wasn't a stereotypical Quarles game. He is pretty well balanced on offense and will mix it up to keep the defense off balance. He didn't do that in the game Saturday. He abandoned his passing game from the start and only went to it when necessary. That isn't like him. I am not questioning a great coach. Just stating that he coached differently than he normally does. Due to this I think it was poorly coached by him. What makes MHS hard to beat is that you have to stop the run AND the pass. Few teams do both as effectively as MHS and Saturday we made ourselves a one dimensional team and I think that made us easier to beat.

If you watch MHS you know that this wasn't a stereotypical Quarles game. He is pretty well balanced on offense and will mix it up to keep the defense off balance. He didn't do that in the game Saturday. He abandoned his passing game from the start and only went to it when necessary. That isn't like him. I am not questioning a great coach. Just stating that he coached differently than he normally does. Due to this I think it was poorly coached by him. What makes MHS hard to beat is that you have to stop the run AND the pass. Few teams do both as effectively as MHS and Saturday we made ourselves a one dimensional team and I think that made us easier to beat.

Geez you don't think 2 interceptions and 2 fumbles made us easier to beat ? Anyone who thinks they would be a better Coach than Coach Quarles please go apply for the Tennessee job !! lol

Did you come by this great coaching analysis actually at the game or did you figure out a better coaching scheme than Coach Quarles just by watching the TV ? Maybe if you had actually seen the game Live you would of seen that they had man to man cover and pretty well covered at that , they may be a couple SEC DB's on that team you wanted to pass more on .... I'm sorry man , but I think I'll go with Coach Quarles and leave the second guessing to you .... unbelievable .

Geez you don't think 2 interceptions and 2 fumbles made us easier to beat ? Anyone who thinks they would be a better Coach than Coach Quarles please go apply for the Tennessee job !! lol

Did you come by this great coaching analysis actually at the game or did you figure out a better coaching scheme than Coach Quarles just by watching the TV ? Maybe if you had actually seen the game Live you would of seen that they had man to man cover and pretty well covered at that , they may be a couple SEC DB's on that team you wanted to pass more on .... I'm sorry man , but I think I'll go with Coach Quarles and leave the second guessing to you .... unbelievable .

Actually I wish Quarles would go to Tennessee. I mean why not? He's proven he can leed young men. And where we are right now we need someone like him. Somebody who will stay for a while. But really who we going to get anyway? Somebody who will get us on another probation or the death penalty?

Terrible time for a bunch of turnovers, and a terrible time for a called penalty. Regardless, it was a very competitive game. Had to be a tough loss for murvil kids, but it would have also been tough for da haven.

Congrats to da haven on a championship season and to murvil on a great season.

Watching how GQ handled himself on the field after the loss is ALMOST as satisfying for this murvil supporter as the win. Great example - head up, smile on, and lots of congratulations. He may kick his dog when he gets home, but you wouldn't know it on the field. It was a great example for my 2 young ones who watched the game with me. I hope they learned from it.

Great game and great season for both teams!

And yes, 2 outta 3 next year would be a super idea. :thumb:

Congrats to Whitehaven. Played a great game and did what they needed to win, in spite of a terrible start. Running back is the real deal. My only question is why they didn't use him more in the 1st half. Also was impressed with the OLine, as good as the back was he had some holes to hit.

Officiating is what it is and part of the game. It does seem like they make some horrible calls in these big games, but if you look back on your season you could probably pick out bad calls in evry game.

Finally, and unfortunately, Maryville is young. This was the year to beat them, and they made it to the title game. I would expect to see them again

Congrats to Whitehaven

Great game last night to both Maryville and Whitehaven! I love battles like this! Coach Q is a class act as is Coach S! I will say some bad calls by the refs both ways through the whole game! Congrats to WH on the gold ball! Congrats to the Rebels on the silver ball and your streak of championship games! all I can say is WOW! I know Prevo comes back next fall who else comes back for the Rebels? Best wishes for continued success!!