MHS v. Whitehaven

OG1

Easy there turbo. I never said I was better than Quarles. i said he didn't call his usual game and that made us one dimensional. He abandoned the pass before the interceptions so they are no excuse. Again... Not better than Quarles, just don't think he called his best game.

Here is another revelation for you. I don't think you are qualified to say one way or the other. Did you see some things, Quarles missed? Their secondary was outstanding. Did you see the usually safe slant route get jumped and a one handed interception?? Also saw where someone said they kept waiting for play action and over the top. We TRIED that on the final drive. Myers made a great fake and stood there a long time. NO ONE OPEN so he ran for what he could get. You have a right to your opinion but I think I will "err" on the side of the guy that is 190 something and 14 overall. Whitehaven's secondary was outstanding, and their running game was also. Tough calls on both sides but we lost to a very good team. Will always wonder about the penalty on the 2 point play but bottom line our coaches had us in position to beat yet another team that on paper had us totally outmatched.

Just saw the tape and a still of the call showing the linemen position when the ball was released. The call was on # 50 and the video and still show him at the 2 yard line engaged when the ball was released. First of all you don't make that call in a situation such as that unless it is obvious. Second.....it was clearly the wrong call and cost the Rebels. Third....the ref that made that call obviously doesn't know the rule.

Congrats to WH. Great team and a ton of athletes.

Congrats to this group of Maryville seniors. You took this team further than most expected with leadership and dedication to a cause. You gave this fan another great year of watching Rebel football.

A little info for ya from someone who knows the rule and didnt care who won, it is not where the player is when the ball is released, its where he is when the ball crosses the line of scrimage. Otherwise, all screen plays would be illegal. When the ball crossed the line of scrimage he was at the half yard line engaging the player trying to defend the receiver/qb. I agree with you as I did not think it was illegal player downfield as I was always told that if they are not in the endzone keep it in your belt. I thought they were going to throw offensive PI because of the player was engaging the defender trying to cover the receiver. It was disappointing to see the biggest game of the day have the worst crew of the weekend.

Fun game to watch.

Easy there turbo. I never said I was better than Quarles. i said he didn't call his usual game and that made us one dimensional. He abandoned the pass before the interceptions so they are no excuse. Again... Not better than Quarles, just don't think he called his best game.

And once again for you Turbo , I don't believe Coach Quarles called Interception on 1 , and Fumble on 2 in the Huddle ... We were about to score a TD to go up 14-0 with the first Fumble .... Without 4 turnovers more than likely everyone is on here today talking about what a Genius Coach Quarles is once again beating a team with maybe 7-8 D1 players with our Scrappy " Richie Cunninghams " ... The only play call I didn't agree with was the fake punt .... but I do believe Coach Quarles is still batting a very high Percentage on when to call a play like that , so I believe he's earned the benefit of the doubt .... you on the other hand think this young Coach needs to prove himself a little more before he is given the benefit of the Doubt .... Wow is all I can say ....

The strip on the 5 was a good call, so I'll swiftly apologize for questioning it. Ball was obviously loose before Shuler was pushed backward. Great play defensively.

It was even more evident on the TV broadcast the the referees didn't even know where they were.

Working on a screenshot of the ball being released on the two point play. It needs to be seen. All six linemen, including tight end, were well within their three yard pass blocking box. Blown call, cost Maryville the lead with :45 to go. Notice I said lead, not game. :45 is a long time, but 1 point is a huge point.

A little info for ya from someone who knows the rule and didnt care who won, it is not where the player is when the ball is released, its where he is when the ball crosses the line of scrimage. Otherwise, all screen plays would be illegal. When the ball crossed the line of scrimage he was at the half yard line engaging the player trying to defend the receiver/qb. I agree with you as I did not think it was illegal player downfield as I was always told that if they are not in the endzone keep it in your belt. I thought they were going to throw offensive PI because of the player was engaging the defender trying to cover the receiver. It was disappointing to see the biggest game of the day have the worst crew of the weekend.

Fun game to watch.

OK , I don't know where you're getting half yard line at , I've got it froze on my TV right now , with the football directly over #50's head , and he is clearly and plain as day with his right foot on the 2 yd line ....

Like I've already said , Maryville lost because of 4 Turnovers , we didn't really have a margin of error to win the game playing like that , bad calls are part of the Game , and I'm very proud of this Maryville team . Whitehaven was definitely the best team we played all year , they deserved to win , Congratulations to them , Enjoy that Gold Ball , and hopefully we can meet again next year .

And once again for you Turbo , I don't believe Coach Quarles called Interception on 1 , and Fumble on 2 in the Huddle ... We were about to score a TD to go up 14-0 with the first Fumble .... Without 4 turnovers more than likely everyone is on here today talking about what a Genius Coach Quarles is once again beating a team with maybe 7-8 D1 players with our Scrappy " Richie Cunninghams " ... The only play call I didn't agree with was the fake punt .... but I do believe Coach Quarles is still batting a very high Percentage on when to call a play like that , so I believe he's earned the benefit of the doubt .... you on the other hand think this young Coach needs to prove himself a little more before he is given the benefit of the Doubt .... Wow is all I can say ....

Regarding the fake punt, and maybe blueangel could weigh in on this. Is that a situation where the thought is that at a minimum you can likely get a PI call because often someone on the return team is engaging the receiver because he is unaware of the pass? I remember we ran it at Bearden 2 years ago and interference was called but Jay Yoakum made the catch anyway. The WH player last night did not engage the receiver and PI was correctly not called. Not sure about this but that was the explanation for the intent on running that play i heard two years ago.

If you watch MHS you know that this wasn't a stereotypical Quarles game. He is pretty well balanced on offense and will mix it up to keep the defense off balance. He didn't do that in the game Saturday. He abandoned his passing game from the start and only went to it when necessary. That isn't like him. I am not questioning a great coach. Just stating that he coached differently than he normally does. Due to this I think it was poorly coached by him. What makes MHS hard to beat is that you have to stop the run AND the pass. Few teams do both as effectively as MHS and Saturday we made ourselves a one dimensional team and I think that made us easier to beat.

1st off, what pepvol said 2 posts down, 2ndly, they scored 35 points, they didnt exactly get stopped. I do not believe the problem was anything Maryville did on offense as they ran the ball very well. The last drive to tie the score they passed but they were safe passes, quick down and outs/run and stop kind of routes, more so taking what they gave them. Also, saying he coached/called the game poorly is questiniong him. As much satifsfaction/pleasure he has brought to that community, NO, I do not believe you or anybody over there should have anything negative to say about how he coached the game (even if you were right) but rather accept the defeat as graciuolsy as he did. I am not a Maryville fan and I do not like seeing them win the title almost every year but I give credit where credit is due and that program has had the success it has b/c of Coach Quarles. The team has pretty good high school football players but few great (college) prospects, what he has done is amazing, to me the real coaching is doing more w/ less.....

Edited by Kevin38

OK , I don't know where you're getting half yard line at , I've got it froze on my TV right now , with the football directly over #50's head , and he is clearly and plain as day with his right foot on the 2 yd line ....

Like I've already said , Maryville lost because of 4 Turnovers , we didn't really have a margin of error to win the game playing like that , bad calls are part of the Game , and I'm very proud of this Maryville team . Whitehaven was definitely the best team we played all year , they deserved to win , Congratulations to them , Enjoy that Gold Ball , and hopefully we can meet again next year .

Pepvol is right. it as been a while since i have seen a team run the same play over and over and then dare you to stop it. I am looking forward to seeing #7 for Whitehaven on Saturdays and maybe # 2 as well. Where is Greyrider and Stars? Did they ride together or something? Edited by bladerunner