Charlie High

lovemesomehsfb

GVK gave a nice endorsement of Charlie High that I agree with. He is a competitor and a winner. He has put in more film study with Coach Bradley than many college QB's put in. And he does things the right way. His pocket presence and ability to read all kinds of defensive coverages (believe me, he has seen a bunch of them) is advanced well beyond his high school years. He could walk right into a D1 level program and understand terminology, routes and coverages almost immediately due to the complexity of Coach Bradley's offense, which has been formulated from college level schemes. While I understand some of the "concerns" given about his height, weight and arm strength, I think his football IQ, pocket presence, intelligence, character, speed, allusiveness, accuracy, toughness, leadership and what he has proven on the field is more than enough for some D1 level school to take a calculated risk on him. He simply is a WINNER. Keep in mind that all these records he has broken came in just 2 seasons as the starting QB, most of those records are generally held by guys who started for 3-4 years. Somebody is going to get a "steal" when they sign him IMHO.

Edited by FootballDad

Charlie High is a character guy from what I can tell. Mature beyond his years. I don't know him or his family personally, but I can agree with all the positives that have been said about this young man. I strongly believe he's a great person that will do any program proud. What he lacks in prototypical size, he more than makes up for in all other categories.

There are lots of kids who deserve D1 looks that never get any because of size. Last year Terrell Rollins of Greeneville a Mr Football winner, 2 time state champ and MVP of 2011 state game. Never recieved 1 big school offer cause he's a 6'0 DT.. Its a shame that these kids never get the opportunity to show the size of there hearts instead of there frames........

Edited by bmoreman

I agree w/ what everyone has said and believe he can be a very productive QB on the D1 level provided it is the correct system that fits his skill set. However like what some have already eluded to his measurables are not neccisarily what most D1 programs are looking for. I am not saying I agree but it is what it is I guess. Personally Charlie High has a skill set very similar to that of Drew Brees, why anyone would not give him a chance?; I have no idea.....

High is a great high school player no doubt. But people need to look at his from the perspective of a college coach, not a high school football fan. If High played for another school that didn't throw it around the field a million times a game would he have the stats? Obviously he wouldn't. If he played at Kingston or Loudon, or any other school would he have been the difference on them winning the state championship? The answer is no. Look down the road at UTC. High is not as good as the two qbs, huesman and robinson(both from Tennessee), and UTC is a middle of the road fcs team. Please guys don't even mention that he might be University of Tennessee good. I mean no disrespect IN ANYWAY towards High or the wonderful CAK program, I'm just trying to put things in perspective

Edited by smokinote

High is a great high school player no doubt. But people need to look at his from the perspective of a college coach, not a high school football fan. If High played for another school that didn't throw it around the field a million times a game would he have the stats? Obviously he wouldn't. If he played at Kingston or Loudon, or any other school would he have been the difference on them winning the state championship? The answer is no. Look down the road at UTC. High is not as good as the two qbs, huesman and robinson(both from Tennessee), and UTC is a middle of the road fcs team. Please guys don't even mention that he might be University of Tennessee good. I mean no disrespect IN ANYWAY towards High or the wonderful CAK program, I'm just trying to put things in perspective

I believe I did put things in perspetive (I was waiting for this) which is why I said "in the correct system that fits his skill set". Also, he may not have led those teams you mentioned to state titles but he would have made them better. I have watched him play on a few occasions and in every game all of his passes were very accurate and he did show decent (although not great) arm strength. If he didnt have as big of a load on another team his stats would not be as good but he would still be very effective w/ his passing abilities. Just b/c he does not have the measurables does not mean he cannot play D1 (Doug Flutie, Johnny Manziel, Drew Brees even).....

He is a football player. There are different levels of "D-1" football programs. You may not necessarily be ready to start in the SEC but could still be very capable of having a tremendous career at a D-1 program at some level. It is very unfortunate that so much stock is put into height and weight. While those factors are important, they are not the sole determiners of whether you can be successful at the next level.

My take is that High is 5-11, 175 pounds. His arm strength is very very good and is D-1 caliber in my opinion. He is very mobil and elusive, as well as having good speed. (He started all year at safety his sophomore season.) His accuracy is better than many college QB's that are currently having success. He has never been in trouble, has good grades from what I understand, and is very bright. He has run a very complex offense for 2 seasons and broken numerous state and national records in the process.

IMO, the ONLY issue with High is height and weight. Is he tall enough to see over the OL and DL? Is he big enough to take the hits he would take in D-1 ball? He has not added a whole lot of size over the last couple of years. Having said that, someone is going to get one heck of a college QB. He needs to go somewhere that 1. has a passing oriented offense that will utilize his God given accuracy. 2. Can utilize his ability to roll out and be highly accurate while throwing on the run, as well as his ability to make plays with his feet.

This kid has a very High football IQ, and if put in the right situation, is going to make his mark at that program. He is a winner.

YES I HAD THE PLEASURE TO WATCH THIS YOUNG MAN THIS YEAR AND I WAS IMPRESSED ON HIS POISE - ANY D1 SCHOOL WILL BE ON THE LOSING END OF HIS ARM ONE DAY BECAUSE THEY DIDNT GIVE HIM A TRY! CHARLIE HIGH YOU ARE A TOP 5 QB IN MY BOOK!

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. If the 2 QB's you mentioned were better than High when they were in HS, I would have liked to have seen them play enough to form an opinion. I have watched a lot of football, most of which was at the 6A (or formerly 5A) level. Charlie High is the best HS football that I have seen play in my 23 years of watching HS football in east TN. I did not have the privilege to see everyone who played the position, of course, but I did get a pretty fair sampling over that period of time. Do I think High is a top HS QB? Absolutely! Is he a top SEC prospect? No, and the operative word is, "prospect." He might be very effective at an SEC program if given the chance, but it is never going to happen because of his size. I see High as likely being very successful at the next level, if he lands at the right type of program, as described by myself and others.

Obviously to break the records that High broke, he has to be in an offense that throws the ball a high percentage of the time. But so were the former record holders. Does anyone think that the former national record holder for attempts played for a grind it out running team? By the same token, High didn't break the state record for rushing TD's by a QB. That record is held by a run oriented team with a running QB. High had great receivers and a great line around him. Is he the first to have these to assist with his stats? Did the former state and national record holders do it all on their own? High surpassed every other QB that played for a pass oriented team, even those who had great receivers and a great line.

Would High have lead Kingston or Loudon to a State Championship? No. The best athletes who break records and win championships have to be in an environment that gives them a chance. Even Dan Marino couldn't do it without the pieces around him. If High had played for a wing-T team such as Webb, he would not have ever had an opportunity to break a passing record. If you watched CAK play, you know that they are not a dink and dunk offense. They have those plays in the arsenal, but also throw the ball down the field. High broke the national record for completion percentage, including those that are a dink and dunk offense. That speaks volumes about his accuracy over this season and the course of his career. This kid can play high level college ball. Maybe he doesn't have the measurables to play in the SEC, but there are a lot more D1 schools than just SEC level D1 schools. I hope he gets the opportunity.

Edited by Govolsknox