Illegal Slam? You make the Call.

mat73557

I was not going to comment on this post but I feel I need to. I am the coach of Murfreesboro Elite wrestling team and wrestler A wrestles for me. He is a very good wrestler and a better student. I teach this and drill it and will not stop doing so. I do not agree with the call because the ref let the crowd and the 4 people that came out of the bleachers dictate his call. You can tell the ref's that used to wrestle before and the ones that just do it for extra money. If any of my wrestlers gets slamed to the mat and can continue they will.

Safety should be the 1st consideration. It's illegal if the ref. called it illegal.

• Upvote 2

So you are saying teach our kids up to the ability of the refs. I respect a good ref and like us all we make mistakes. You should love the sport and you will become a good ref. but don't just do it for extra money. My kids and I know other wrestlers work there tails off to get better, and we should not settle for a ref that don't love the sport or you learned about it in a magazine.

I am done on this post, I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and hope your season goes well.

We have already had this thread stirred up the wrong way once. No need to do it again. HSDAD, I know that you really don't believe that the refs never make mistakes. I am not saying this was an example of that but I do agree that the situation had some extra drama. And in all honesty I still wonder if wrestler B had a little more experience, it would have never been called.

And to insinuate that the refs will look to single out my kid or any other kid because of something written on this board seems to me to undermine the integrity of a lot of good men. But that's just me.

So you are saying teach our kids up to the ability of the refs. I respect a good ref and like us all we make mistakes. You should love the sport and you will become a good ref. but don't just do it for extra money. My kids and I know other wrestlers work there tails off to get better, and we should not settle for a ref that don't love the sport or you learned about it in a magazine.

I am done on this post, I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and hope your season goes well.

That's not what I said at all. Respect or not, they have the ONLY say - period. I am

sure your are not implying that the ref. in question does not love the sport and only

works for the money?

Thing to remember ... Never give a ref. a reason to influence the outcome of a match .

Merry Christmas and Peace to all !

You can respect the referees opinion without agreeing with it. There is a big difference. Regardless of the outcome the wrestler should be taught to never question the referee. It's not their job. Kids need to learn to overcome adversity.

IMO, for the coach to respectfully discus the call with the referee at an appropriate time would be the correct action to take. You have taught the technique well mat73557 and I would agree not to change what you are doing. Sounds like you simply explained to your wrestler:

"that was a bad call. You executed the technique properly. However, sometimes in life things like that happen. Even though you lost the match, I was impressed by the way you handled yourself considering. Keep it up."

For anyone to suggest that "the refs will have it out for you" because of your post is absurd and ridiculous.

Referees sometime make back calls. This was one example. But that's life.

Edited by Newestguy

We have already had this thread stirred up the wrong way once. No need to do it again. HSDAD, I know that you really don't believe that the refs never make mistakes. I am not saying this was an example of that but I do agree that the situation had some extra drama. And in all honesty I still wonder if wrestler B had a little more experience, it would have never been called.

And to insinuate that the refs will look to single out my kid or any other kid because of something written on this board seems to me to undermine the integrity of a lot of good men. But that's just me.

No that's not what I said either. The ref's know alot about wrestling and recognize

that certain teams teach this and that. I know of a middle school team that has

been recognized for what the parents call "aggressive" wrestling. The ref's are

watching and calling them when they witness those actions. I would be willing to

bet you that if that move/slam happens again, it will be called again ! The move/slam ??? allowed the ref. to make a call that influenced the match.

Edited by HSDAD