Illegal Slam? You make the Call.

mat73557

The rule simply states that "Wrestlers must return opponents to the mat safely after a lift..." If B comes down and is injured or unable to continue, then the fault falls upon A.

Also, his feet clearly go up and over his head, meaning he was headed at the mat shoulder/head first. It's a pretty easy way to be injured. I'd call it illegal.

• Upvote 1

Interesting one there. I would think it borderline and typically allow wrestling to continue as I have seen much worse not be called.

Take a look at the mat return that Kyle Dake used on Tyler Caldwell this past weekend at the Grapple in the Garden... that was forceful and I was somewhat surprised it was not called... then again it is college.

However, I do think that the top man was looking for a little added force on the mat return and can see why it was called especially be the letter of the rules.

I think the question that is asked more often than not by the referees is that is the forceful return needed? If this lift and return was in the state finals when both wrestlers are equally matched then I see no problem with it, but as stated in the video the two wrestlers were not equiventally matched therefore I call it illegal.

• Upvote 1

I thought it was borderline over-reaction. I have definitely seen this type of a return not called dozens and dozens of times.

Should there be a consideration for what appears to be Wrestler B's inexperience? (not knowing how to fall or not experienced falling?)

Thanks for the comments and thoughts.

Edited by mat73557

mat73557 IMO: Illegal (see brooksbrothers comments to validate).

bearswrestling: The fact that a wrestler may have played up on what looks like a illegal slam is another moral issue altogether. I don't agree either with winning that way and have seen kids not take a win when they could have for the right reasons. The coach is ultimately responsible for such a call in a vast majority of those cases.

Brooksbrothers: The use of a "forceful return" in this video is not the question. The fact that the defensive wrestler was unable to defend against the return because his right arm was trapped and was taken down to his exposed right side was the primary issue to me. No matter when this could have occurred (state finals or not) it is still illegal in my opinion. The skill level of a wrestler is and should not be a concern when an official calls an illegal move.

jomibaking: The head and feet going high is not a reason to call it illegal either. I have seen many legal returns to the mat when a high lift was involved but the controlling wrestler used control in returning the defensive wrestler to the mat safely. I have seen many as well when the defensive wrestler started flailing in the middle of the return and as a result caused the offensive wrestler to lose control because of it. Therefore no illegal slam because the defensive wrestler caused the control loss. See brooksbrothers comments on my reasoning for it being illegal (that much we do agree on).