District 3AAA

DyronNix

Both Bearden and Maryville are extremely well-coached. Maryville shoots the three ball better as a team. All 5 guys are good three point shooters but they don't have alot of size. They aren't the most athletic of teams but play well together. Bearden is probably not as talented as several teams they've put out there lately but they are playing very good basketball. I was surprised Farragut was able to keep the last game close but you know how those rivalry games go!

I know what you're saying CC , I would be surprised to see Powell knock off OR for the third time this season. They have their number somehow , but the Panthers do play good team ball and they don't get rattled. What's the scoop on Bearden and Maryville? Dragons will have to meet one of these teams in the 1st round of the region. They seem to be about equal from what I have heard. Whom should the Dragons rather face? Clinton playing with house money so they probably don't have any preference , but may be wrong on that. What y'all say?

Having seen all of them play Dragontale, I think u guys would rather play maryville. They are good, but they have this tendacy to play to the competition and that would be great for Lockard. More athletic teams will give Clinton some trouble. Clinton just has to keep their composure if things start going bad. I look for them to give halls all they want tonight and would love to see them beat halls.

Yea, I was a little disappointed in Clinton. They acted like they were just content with fourth place. Seen them play several times this year and that one had less heart and passion than any so far. Maybe knowing you have maryville or bearded next, no matter what you do is a little disheartening. The score doesn't indicate how bad the game was, it was never in doubt. Good one tonight though. If they will make an effort early to get Merriiam the ball, oak ridge should win this one. If it turns into a guard show for OR, it'll play right into powells hands. I hope it's a good one. Good luck to the two best teams in 3AAA.

Plain and simple, In my opinion, for whatever reason Powell has a huge mental advantage over OR..in the past 2 yrs OR has defeated Powell once. Reminds me of OR-Farragut in football

Lol. Yea that wasn't one of my best post. I guess I was trying to say, no home court advantage, and all things being relatively equal, OR should win this one. Although Powell brought a ton of fans, and I think most fans from the other schools will be pulling for Powell also, they could think its a home game for them. Lol. It's been a great tourney already, packed house every night, just doesn't get any better than high school sports!!!

Looking from the outside in ,I watched the game when they played at Powell a few weeks ago.O.R. Is talented but so is Powell.O.R. Played a very aggressive style and got away with a lot of fouls trying to "tush hog the game" The Powell coach has great insight and a group of hard players.The Payne kid is someone that can make plays and is steady he was the most steady player in that district this year,the other players which is rase,fields,hill,#34 and #42 are steady and gets the job done. no matter the outcome tonight Powell has proven that they are the best in that district.

New at posting but wanted to respond to the post concerning "how does Powell win". I agree you will not hear it's all about the coaching.

Ogan- does a great job, however, he has been around longer than anyother coach in the district and it has been several years that Powell has

had the success as this year. So here goes, Powell is a very athletic team with good basketball players despite what everyone wants to believe.

Clay Payne may be the best Athlete in the district. He was robbed of the MVP for the league by a very hyped ball player. With Powell success how does the

most productive kid for that team not get it? Oak-Ridge kid last year won and deserved to despite not having the best "stats"

Clay is a 6-3 strong athlete that can post smaller players down low and can score outside or drive to basket with larger players that are forced to guard

his size. Powell's leading scorer and rebounder the last two seasons and three yr starter for the panthers. All district last year and usually guards the most

athletic player on the opposing team. I understand he will be playing college baseball as a cather and a possible late round draft pick out of High School.

Jake Rase is another athlete that has started for the Panthers all four years that handles pressure from the opposing team and is the best "true point guard"

in the district. He has the ability to score if needed but also puts the team in the offense and distrubutes the ball as a guard should.

Excellent ball handler and quick on both offense and defense. He contains the opposing teams best guard.

Dallas Fields is a junior and second leading scorer for the team. He is another athletic kid that can compliment Payne with scoring by shooting the three

and quick enough to penetrate to the hole. Will be next years go to player with the ability to score on any given night. He does a excellent job on defense as

well by constant energy on the opposing team.

Lex Waters and Jeremy Fine are the other tandem. At 6-4" Waters jumps well and at times too unselfish can score on the blocks with good quickness

and the abiltiy to give opposing teams big man trouble with excellent defense. Fine-small post but completes the chemistry of the team. He is a bruiser

that gets the most of his abiltity ability and creates havoc for the opposing team with his grit and dertermination.

to recap: Coaching is constant and keeps the boys playing as a team. But Powell has 4-returning starters from last yr squad that made it to the regionals last yr. that has

beat Oak Ridge 4 times over the last 2-yrs and Karns, Halls-twice, Catholic, Farragut, Bearden, West, and everyone else in the district.

Maybe the true motivation was the fact that with this all being said that the first post that started this had Powell finishing last.

If so, Thanks and lets begin to give them the credit they deserve despite what the remaining seasons still has to offer.

New at posting but wanted to respond to the post concerning "how does Powell win". I agree you will not hear it's all about the coaching.

Ogan- does a great job, however, he has been around longer than anyother coach in the district and it has been several years that Powell has

had the success as this year. So here goes, Powell is a very athletic team with good basketball players despite what everyone wants to believe.

Clay Payne may be the best Athlete in the district. He was robbed of the MVP for the league by a very hyped ball player. With Powell success how does the

most productive kid for that team not get it? Oak-Ridge kid last year won and deserved to despite not having the best "stats"

Clay is a 6-3 strong athlete that can post smaller players down low and can score outside or drive to basket with larger players that are forced to guard

his size. Powell's leading scorer and rebounder the last two seasons and three yr starter for the panthers. All district last year and usually guards the most

athletic player on the opposing team. I understand he will be playing college baseball as a cather and a possible late round draft pick out of High School.

Jake Rase is another athlete that has started for the Panthers all four years that handles pressure from the opposing team and is the best "true point guard"

in the district. He has the ability to score if needed but also puts the team in the offense and distrubutes the ball as a guard should.

Excellent ball handler and quick on both offense and defense. He contains the opposing teams best guard.

Dallas Fields is a junior and second leading scorer for the team. He is another athletic kid that can compliment Payne with scoring by shooting the three

and quick enough to penetrate to the hole. Will be next years go to player with the ability to score on any given night. He does a excellent job on defense as

well by constant energy on the opposing team.

Lex Waters and Jeremy Fine are the other tandem. At 6-4" Waters jumps well and at times too unselfish can score on the blocks with good quickness

and the abiltiy to give opposing teams big man trouble with excellent defense. Fine-small post but completes the chemistry of the team. He is a bruiser

that gets the most of his abiltity ability and creates havoc for the opposing team with his grit and dertermination.

to recap: Coaching is constant and keeps the boys playing as a team. But Powell has 4-returning starters from last yr squad that made it to the regionals last yr. that has

beat Oak Ridge 4 times over the last 2-yrs and Karns, Halls-twice, Catholic, Farragut, Bearden, West, and everyone else in the district.

Maybe the true motivation was the fact that with this all being said that the first post that started this had Powell finishing last.

If so, Thanks and lets begin to give them the credit they deserve despite what the remaining seasons still has to offer.

Well first of all welcome to the discussion. second from the post information, your a Powell fan. I think weve all said and beat the horse to death about powells coaching and kids playing together. As for their ATHLETES, Im sorry, their not athlets, their Basketball players who have bought into a system and a coach that makes them by into it. Bearden, West, OR, Maryville, Science Hill. DB, Hampton, etc.. have good athletes, not necessarily the best bball players but good athletes none the less. And as for the very first post picking Powell last? Your wrong, Nix started the thread and just listed the teams in alpabetical order, Powell being last. I will give you, that I personally thoght 3rd place was were they would finish, behind, OR and Karns. You made some good points and i think we all have given Powell their due, maybe to much sometimes. But I think it ends tonight VS. OR.

Thank you. should have entered the arena earlier. Yes, I agree the team play and coaching has been discussed to the point that I thought it

was time to give the players a little credit for going out and winning. But you have to know that winning the amount of games in this district

has to say something about the players as well. Is there better athletes yes but I would put a couple of Powell players athletic ability up against

anyone else in the district. I feel that O.R. is the only team with better "athletes" than Powell. I know that Powell wasnt predicted to finish last,however,

based on the returning starters and last years finish I thouhgt it was a little strange not to get some mention top team coming into this year by someone.

I do feel that O.R. has to be favored in this game and with more motivation but If Powell can keep it close they will have a shot to pull it off.

In high school sports, timing means alot and it may be hard for Powell to win. But how many times has everyone said that about them?

Thank you. should have entered the arena earlier. Yes, I agree the team play and coaching has been discussed to the point that I thought it

was time to give the players a little credit for going out and winning. But you have to know that winning the amount of games in this district

has to say something about the players as well. Is there better athletes yes but I would put a couple of Powell players athletic ability up against

anyone else in the district. I feel that O.R. is the only team with better "athletes" than Powell. I know that Powell wasnt predicted to finish last,however,

based on the returning starters and last years finish I thouhgt it was a little strange not to get some mention top team coming into this year by someone.

I do feel that O.R. has to be favored in this game and with more motivation but If Powell can keep it close they will have a shot to pull it off.

In high school sports, timing means alot and it may be hard for Powell to win. But how many times has everyone said that about them?

Like Chad mentioned earlier in this thread. Powell for the past 4 games has been in OR's head. I think that has a lot to do with it. Powell does deserve credit for beating us 3 out of 4 times, not many teams can say that/ I'll just say this. If they beat us tonight i will be extremely disappointed at our team.